tuscl

Sporting events and venues

skibum609
Massachusetts
Name the strangest place you have ever attended a sporting event in person. For me it was 12/13/1970 when I saw my first Boston patriots game live. You knew they were called that right? Of course the game was not in Boston; instead it was at Harvard Stadium in Cambridge with cement stands. 12" of unshoveled snow awaited us. It was another great Patriots season for the times as the 2-10 Patriots played the 10-2 Minnesota Vikings. 2-11 after the 35-14 beat down, with the only real entertainment was throwing snowballs at the police. Sitting outside in 25 degree weather with a brutal wind in a foot of snow on a cement seat for a few hours was no fun, but way more fun that trying to get up and walk, which was brutal. What I really remember is that there were about 6 stalls in the mens room and 100's of guys were just standing under the stands pissing where ever. As Boston sports venues were home of the urine trough it really was actually better than the urine trough in the men's room.

23 comments

• ime
    4 years ago
    Does a Jai alai parlor or whatever they call count? Those are just weird places like a more depressing version of an off track betting.
  • goldmongerATL
    4 years ago
    Saw a hockey game in Norway. The worst part was standing in the taxi queue for 30 minutes when it was -2F. As a side note, when it is that cold walking on ice is a breeze. It is no longer slippery.
  • goldmongerATL
    4 years ago
    Dog tracks are incredibly low rent. The indoor part of the grandstand was air-conditioned with about 12 window units spaced around in the wall. In Florida! There was one guy dressed like Huggie Bear and he had this harem of 50ish women stuffed into evening gowns that fit them 10 years earlier. They were trying to impress people at a dog track that had 50 cent bets.
  • Mr_O
    4 years ago
    Indianapolis Motor Speedway, a TOTAL PITA!
  • TheElmerFudd
    4 years ago
    Sumo wrestling scrimmage at a sumo stable in Japan, as part of a tour. Really just the unfamiliarity and culture shock of it.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    Over twenty years ago had a cousin going to school in Boston was there we went to a baseball game sitting on a roof overlooking I believe it was right field we were at the One game Playoff with the Yankees and we watched Bucky Dent crush a home run over the green monster, I think as Yankees fans we were lucky to get out of Boston alive
  • ime
    4 years ago
    I played a rugby match on a pitch that was built in the middle, the actual middle of a cornfield in Vermont.
  • crosscheck
    4 years ago
    I played in a high school hockey game in Massachusetts in an outdoor rink. I realize decades ago that would not have been strange, but in 1993 it was. Uncomfortable too. It was maybe 5 degrees out that day. Thankfully we won the game, otherwise that would have been a totally unbearable experience.
  • misterorange
    4 years ago
    1985 while at college in rural Maryland, way out in cow country. My whole fraternity, and our sister sorority, traveled by a caravan of cars to something called Hunt Cup, which apparently was some kind of horse race. Like 7 of us crammed into my buddy's Eldorado with 2 or 3 beer kegs in the trunk. The back of the car was nearly scraping the ground. Halfway there we got pulled over by some hillbilly cop and had to scramble to hide the beer cans, weed and cocaine. Turns out he just wanted to tell us our back tires looked low on air!

We get to the event and parked in a huge grassy field where a few hundred college kids were tailgating. Of course there were lots of crazy beer drinking contraptions. The one I remember was these guys had a medium sized cooler on the hood of their car with a beer bong hose drilled through the side and a doorbell on top. Inside the cooler was full of beer and they had a bilge pump, like for getting water out of a boat, and it was wired to the car battery. When you pushed the doorbell this thing would shoot beer down your throat at probably 3 times the speed of a normal beer bong.

All we did was drink and do drugs all day - we never saw a single horse or even knew where the racetrack was. Afterwards we went to a nearby farm that belonged to one of our brother's family. We spent the night outdoors with lots of blankets and those sweet, innocent and very fucked up sorority girls. Giddy-up!!
  • Studme53
    4 years ago
    Me and my buddies played Prince’s crew in basketball on his court at Paisley Park after the clubs closed.
    I’m Rick James, bitch!
  • Warrior15
    4 years ago
    About 1972 in Dallas. The old Cotton Bowl. SMU was playing Texas A&M. Our seats were right behind the Corp Cadets of the Aggies. Cadets have a tradition of taking a date to Aggie games. Then each time the Aggies score, the Cadets spend the next 10 minutes making out with their dates. As a 10 year old boy, I thought that was the most awful thing in the world. Just gross watching these stupid plebes slobber all over these poor girls.
  • Meursault
    4 years ago
    Decmeber 1981, the last game at Met stadium for my beloved Vikings. Cheifs beat the Vikes in a low scoring game because Joe Sensor (future husband of future killer Amy) dropped a pass on the 1 inch line, then all hell broke loose as the parents of today's Minnesota hooligans began dismantling the stadium to take home souvenirs.
  • shadowcat
    4 years ago
    I spent 2 years in Japan. So I saw several Sumo wrestling matches while I was there. I have also seen it in the past at Japan Fest when it was held at Stone Mountain, Atlanta, GA.
  • Cashman1234
    4 years ago
    I was a big NBA fan as a kid - and I tried to love my local New Jersey Nets. It was a poor choice of a team for many years.

The 76ers were coming to play the Nets - and I got 4 tickets for me and my buddies. I think there was a ticket deal you could get from buying chocolate milk (it seems racist in retrospect). This was Dr J and Daryl Dawkins coming to destroy the Nets - so it was going to be something to watch.

My buddy had his fathers Plymouth Duster - and he just learned to drive. We got to the Brendan Byrne Arena - and it was not crowded. As we try to find our seats - we keep going up and up! We are in the last row beneath the scoreboard. When the buzzer sounded the first time - I nearly shit myself! It was so loud. We could still see some stuff - but barely.

At half time my buddy tries to get us down to the lower level - and we get lucky for about 2 minutes! We get to the lower level - and we see open seats - and it seems like a great spot. But my buddy wants to get right down on court. So we get down there - we’re standing a few feet from Daryl Dawkins just staring at the dude. A guard sees us and knows we don’t belong - asks us for our tickets - and sends us back to the scoreboard.

I will still remember seeing both Dr J and Chocolate Thunder on court. That was a pretty impressive team!
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Saw Doctor J play in the Curry Hicks Cage at my Alma Mata. Umass basketball was so classy that the seats were surrounded by dirt and a flock of pigeons lived in the bldg. Also saw the last ever pro football game in the orange bowl. Patriots/Dolphins. The hatred of Pats fans by dolphins fans was so intense, that by the end of the game the GUYS were going in groups of five to the mens room.
  • Studme53
    4 years ago
    Saw a few Army-Navy games at old JFK stadium in Philly. We actually sat on the roof of the press box. My brother was a security guard and got us in for free. No actual seats but beggars can’t be choosers. Good spot to watch the cadets and midshipmen marching in. I remember the press box shaking like crazy when they fired off cannons.
  • Studme53
    4 years ago
    By the way, if there’s any kneeling at the Army-Navy game stick a fork in it - we’re done.
  • misterorange
    4 years ago
    @Cash - I met Dawkins once when he played WITH the Nets. I think I was about 14 or so. I was at EyeLab on Route 4 in Paramus getting fitted for glasses and he sat down right next to me. When I shook his hand, well... imagine a salad fork shaking hands with a baseball mitt. Dude was fuckin huge.
  • Studme53
    4 years ago
    Dawkins wrote an article for the Daily News from planet “Lovetron”
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Flying chocolate thunder dunk. He was Shaq before Shaq was.
  • Huntsman
    4 years ago
    The metrodome was a pretty weird venue for anything. It felt like sitting inside a pinball game.

The first season they had no air conditioning because they built the building on the cheap. The Twins were awful that year and it felt like sitting in a sauna watching a ball game there.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    "... By the way, if there’s any kneeling at the Army-Navy game stick a fork in it - we’re done ..."

Funny - but I wouldn't be surprised - racism is being used against America as a sledgehammer in order to get it to submit and thus give an opening to a woke Marxist movement.
  • PredragDr
    4 years ago
    Hockey game at Dodger Stadium. Horrible sight lines from the bleachers.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion