tuscl

Signs That Trump Was Furious in Tulsa

joker44
In the wind
Sunday, June 21, 2020 2:51 PM
[view link] Andrew Ferguson is a staff writer at The Atlantic. He is the author of Fools’ Names, Fools’ Faces; Land of Lincoln; and Crazy U: One Dad’s Crash Course on Getting His Kid Into College. "In the end history may record that the most revealing thing about President Trump’s rally in Tulsa last night was the way it was covered by the all-news networks. CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News had plumped the event as if it were the Pro Bowl. The anchors and reporters vamped for hours with pre-game analysis and on-the-scene color shots as the big kickoff approached. And then the moment arrived and the time for commentary ended and … only Fox went ahead and aired the rally. [...] What a choice for Saturday night viewing: you could watch a preening blowhard surrounded by lickspittles chirping on cue, or you could watch Trump at his rally. Trump had high hopes for the rally, his first since the pandemic (“the Covid,” in Trump lingo) began. At a White House gathering Thursday afternoon, the president said, “We’re going to be in Oklahoma. And it’s a crowd like, I guess, nobody’s seen before. We have tremendous, tremendous requests for tickets like, I think, probably has never happened politically before.” The unusual use of “I guess” and “I think” is a signifier of the president’s false modesty: he knew damn well, with Trumpian certitude, he was going to break some attendance records in Tulsa. It didn’t turn out that way, as the world knows, despite the best efforts of his publicists to insist otherwise. The most optimistic estimates put the BOK Arena at two-thirds full. As cameras scanned hectares of empty seats, the Fox News anchor, an emphatically incurious man named Jesse Watters, told his viewers, “It looks packed!” (Who ya gonna believe—me or my lyin’ cameras?) Trump’s down-bill warm-up acts—various members of his family mostly—pretended to marvel at the size of the crowd, turning their gaze upward as if they spied men in MAGA hats hanging from the rafters. Various news reports told us that the president was furious at the lower-than-expected turnout, and at first there were signs of it. For one thing he took the stage more or less on time and according to schedule; on more enjoyable occasions he has delighted in waiting backstage, prolonging the tension and letting the crowd’s temperature rise just short of full 1/3boil. And then, having taken the stage in Tulsa, he skipped the usual impromptu jests and goofs of a man whose highest aspiration is to be the center of attention of an adoring crowd. Instead he plunged straight into his scripted remarks as they unspooled from his teleprompter. Watching Trump read from a prompter is like watching a man slip into a straight jacket: the grimace, the grumble, the stiff movement of shoulders from side to side. “I stand before you to say …” It never lasts long. In Tulsa this business-like efficiency, whatever its cause, quickly dropped away, and the president fell into his familiar ramble, returning now and then to the prepared speech. He uses the lines his speechwriters have provided him the way a swimmer uses a pool wall: touch, turn, and push—and then he’s off. (A pro-tip for amateur Trump watchers: You know he’s back on the prompter when he stops gesticulating with both hands. When both hands are in play he’s riffing.) He spoke for an hour and 40 minutes. He gathered strength and volume as he went, working through set pieces about the Veterans Administration, the “Chinese virus,” the spendthrift Democrats, Sleepy Joe Biden in his—Biden’s—basement, and a golden oldie about Trump’s negotiations with Boeing over the price of a new presidential plane (an account which wound around to NATO and Angela Merkel and troop withdrawals from Germany and then to … Muriel Bowser?). The chaotic course Trump’s stories take is often hard to follow, owing usually to the president’s peculiar shorthand. The word “they,” for example, will often appear in back-to-back sentences with different, unspecified referents. In one brief span Saturday night they wanted to abolish ICE, go fight the bad guys, and open your mail. Sometimes he seems to be speaking a private language shared only between himself and his followers. Even so, it often happens that the president’s audiences flag before he does, and Trump has to rouse them with something fresh. So it was in Tulsa. “People come up to me, they say, ‘How do you take it,’” he said. “I say, ‘What choice to do I have?’” As an example of how badly he’s treated by “the fake news,” he told the story of his famously shaky walk down a ramp at West Point last week, and of his uncertain grip on the glass of water he sipped from during his speech to the graduating cadets there. Trump took nearly 15 minutes to tell the story. He reenacted his walk down the ramp not once but twice. Triumphantly he drank a glass of water without a tremor, and then tossed the glass aside theatrically, before turning away in disgust. Thus the country was treated to a stunning sight: the president of the United States imitating a caricature of the president of the United States as he is defined by a relentlessly hostile press corps. It was bizarre; it was postmodern, even. It was yet another insult to the dignity of the presidential office. It was also the bravura performance of a showman in full command of his gifts – an essential display for anyone who wants to understand Donald Trump or the people who love him. And unless you were watching live on Fox News you probably missed it."

35 comments

• mark94
    4 years ago
    That’s a lot of words for a purely subjective criticism of Trump. Preening blowhard ! Bizarre ! Showman ! Rambling ! Chaotic ! Why, it’s almost as though he could have written this article without actually seeing the rally. There was a time when news contained facts rather than naked bias. Those times are gone.
  • JamesSD
    4 years ago
    The atlantic has always been about opinion, it's not the Times. I'm not quite ready to count my chickens, but wheels seem to be falling off the Trump Train
  • OrangeClown
    4 years ago
    Demand for 1 million tickets was perhaps a slight exaggeration, but from what I saw there were about 50,000 to 60,000 in the arena and another 40,000 or so in the overflow area outside of the building. This leads me to believe probably another 200,000 or 300,000 were unable to get tickets. So fairly successful, I'd say.
  • TheElmerFudd
    4 years ago
    James beat me to it: it’s an editorial not a news article. I do agree with mark94’s sentiment though: there is way too much editorials masquerading as news articles going around on both sides
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    I heard on the news about 6k showed-up - Trump people say 12k went thru the turnstiles - it's also reported, but unconfirmed, that anti-Trump people purposely asked for tickets in order for those tickets not to be available to those that wanted to go
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    The Tulsa Fire Marshall said that 6200 actual persons were inside the building during Trump's speech, and the only reason it's an issue is because Mr. Trumps campaign made it an issue.
  • OrangeClown
    4 years ago
    ^^You fail to recognize that math isn't a strong suit for many in Oklahoma. So his 6,200 is probably closer to tens of thousands.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    ^ Fair point sir
  • joker44
    4 years ago
    "preening blowhard surrounded by lickspittles chirping on cue" refers to the network anchors, reporters, and guest commentators and not to Trump! "...the way it was covered by the all-news networks. CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News had plumped the event as if it were the Pro Bowl. The anchors and reporters vamped for hours with pre-game analysis and on-the-scene color shots....you could watch a preening blowhard surrounded by lickspittles chirping on cue, *OR* you could watch Trump at his rally." By blowhard and lickspittles, Ferguson is clearly referring to network anchors and commentators. So you misinterpreted..........again, naturally. Well, maybe not. Perhaps not misinterpretation but a Freudian slip....maybe unconsciously you do see Trump as a blowhard but your fragile ego can't admit making a big mistake by idolizing a defective personality. "It was also the bravura performance of a showman in full command of his gifts – an essential display for anyone who wants to understand Donald Trump or the people who love him. And unless you were watching live on Fox News you probably missed it." Ferguson does two things here: (1) recognizes Trump's strength --- 'bravura performance as a showman', AND (2) castigates those networks who tuned out the actual rally --- ' And unless you were watching live on Fox News you probably missed it.' Sadly, quite the opposite of your emotional rant. Spending too much time reading dubious sources of info [ zerohedge & frontpagemag] has rotted your critical thinking 😁 Someone described paranoid thinking errors as the ability to capture all the individual musical notes but miss the melody. You missed the melody here. "Unable to accept their own faults and weaknesses, these paranoids maintain their self-esteem by attributing their shortcomings to others. They repudiate their own failures and project or ascribe them to someone else. **They possess a remarkable talent for spotting even the most trifling of deficiencies in others. Both subtly and directly they point out and exaggerate, with great pleasure, the minor defects they uncover among those they despise. Rarely does their undercurrent of envy and hostility subside; they remain touchy and irascible, ready to humiliate and deprecate anyone whose merits they question, and whose attitudes and demeanor evoke their ire and contempt."
  • joker44
    4 years ago
    "The atlantic has always been about opinion, it's not the Times." Actually, it's not so much an opinion piece but a essay about a writer's personal reaction to the network coverage vs. the rally speech itself. Sad that such a distinction has to be pointed out to supposedly well-educated individuals
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    A news article about a rally would normally be formatted as “ Trump said X”. An opinion piece would normally be “Trump said X and that is troubling because Y”. A hit piece might take the format “ Trump is a ( insert insult here ) because Y”. The Atlantic article goes to an even more ludicrous level “ Trump is ( insert insult here )”. It doesn’t feel the need to explain the insults it uses. It’s more a stream of consciousness from the author’s imagination rather than something based in reality.
  • Hank Moody
    4 years ago
    Whatever. Trump predicted a million people. Generous estimates are 12 or 13k. No slant. No opinion. #facts
  • sideshow_bob
    4 years ago
    Tldr. Still voting for Trump.
  • OrangeClown
    4 years ago
    Reports indicate protesters turned aside rally-goers. This makes sense. Trump supporters were frightened by the 40-year women protesting outside the arena so they turned tail and left.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    Biggest news of the day John Bolton has joined former Trump staffers Mattis, Kelly and Tillerson and endorsed Joe Biden according to Fox News .
  • OrangeClown
    4 years ago
    ^^Don't trust Faux News. Bolton loves Trump.
  • Mr_O
    4 years ago
    There's one major thing I'll give president Trump a lot of credit for doing. Exposing the left and it's supporters. No surprises are left to be found. They are now butt naked!
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    The more words one uses, the less they have to say. The OP is an idiot and useless. Bolton endorsed Biden because why wouldn't a scumbag endorse a rapist traitor.
  • Johnadums
    4 years ago
    The warmongers and Generals would support Biden for one reason only, they cannot profit off war if there is no war. Trump wants to bring troops home and will avoid war at almost all cost. He wants to be strong, but would rather not fight that way. The Military-Intelligence enterprise is not making money unless our Military-Intelligence agencies are making people dead.
  • bkkruined
    4 years ago
    The fire marshal should have known EXACTLY how many people were in the same building at an event in his town with the President of the United States. Yes, many people signed up for tickets with no intention of going. I saw posts on facebook suggesting I do the same to troll him (I didn't, don't want his campaign having any information to spam me). But this meant nothing to actual attendance, first come, first in, regardless. (If I could've reserved a seat to sit empty, I would have, but that's not how it worked). I did read about people who didn't get it because people checking temperatures at the door went home early. And, apparently stopped letting people in without taking their temp? I guess? But, I'm sure the event was well started at that point, no line around the block of people still waiting...
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    Take it FWIW: Trump rally gives Fox News largest Saturday night audience in its history [view link]
  • sideshow_bob
    4 years ago
    How many people will show up at a Biden rally is the real comparison.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    #TrumpRalliesMatter
  • Player11
    4 years ago
    Trump is beaten Biden will sweep him out.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Biden won’t remember where the broom is.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    I'm not *that* worried about Biden being president - I don't think he's an extreme-left guy - my fear is that if he gets elected, the extreme-left will force him to the extreme-left - and God help us if that angry black woman that ran for GA governor, Stacy Adams, is his VP.
  • OrangeClown
    4 years ago
    @skiBum609: Bolton endorsed Biden because why wouldn't a scumbag endorse a rapist traitor. Which rapist traitor you talking about? The one who had 17 or so woman accuse him of rape or the one who had some fat skank fabricate a story that has no credibility, shithead?
  • JAprufrock
    4 years ago
    How many people will show up at a Biden rally is the real comparison. Biden is smart enough not to have a rally in the middle of a pandemic that Trump has been downplaying since the start.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    "... Bolton endorsed Biden ..." Bolton said he won't vote for Trump but certainly will not vote for Biden either - so I guess he's abstaining: [view link]
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    The anarchists keep pushing to see if anyone will actually confront them - now they are setting up BHAZ (Black House Autonomous Zone) in Lafayette Park across from the White House which is Federal real-estate - up to now no Republicans have had any backbone w.r.t. pushing back against these anarchists while they destroy and go after anything they choose w/ zero consequences - and they are still seen as "angry demonstrators" which is not the case, it is an anarchist movement trying to topple this country and no one is doing a damn thing about it - now they are trying to see if Trump will do anything by setting up BHAZ on Federal property across from the White House.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    ^ Are you saying Fox was rong ?
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    ^ what do you mean?
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    ^ From yesterday "Biggest news of the day John Bolton has joined former Trump staffers Mattis, Kelly and Tillerson and endorsed Joe Biden according to Fox News ."
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    ^ well - I didn't see the source you are referring to, just the interview with Bolden I posted where he said he would not vote for Biden
  • bkkruined
    4 years ago
    "Trump rally gives Fox News largest Saturday night audience in its history" Yes, but how many viewers tuned in only out of a morbid sense of curiosity? I watching that shit for a whole 30 minutes wondering why the whole upper row of seats was empty. Tuned in because I was really just curious how many people in the crowd would have masks on.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion