tuscl

PCIK ANY U.S. PREZ REGARDING COVID-19

rattdog
New York
there are several well read people that are in these here forums. curious as which U.S. president do you feel would have handled this virus the best way fit?

27 comments

• etsutwigg222
    4 years ago
    Bush #2 would have blown up Wuhan vaporizing the virus !!!!
    If course a close second is Obama. He would have blown Xi Jinping !!!
  • goldmongerATL
    4 years ago
    Grant - sorry, too much History Channel tonight.
  • Icey
    4 years ago
    Hoover would have pulled a Trump
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Andrew Jackson with a nuclear arsenal. Scary.
  • Uprightcitizen
    4 years ago
    I have my own bias but Carter is one of the objective and scientific presidents that would have salvaged a second term out of this.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Or, Carter might have done as well with CoVid as he did with the Iranian hostages. Overthink it for months, then blunder into an ineffective action.
  • Uprightcitizen
    4 years ago
    @mark94 the US Military was at its nadir (post Viatnam) and the disaster was in execution, not in policy. Jimmy Carter was a Naval Veteran and was screened by Hyman Rickover himself.

My selection per the OP was per the present situation and time (not the 70's)
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Carter was, and is, a thoughtful, moral man with a high IQ. That makes for a good nuclear engineer or even naval officer. It doesn’t necessarily make a good president. A lot of being president takes instinct, ego, and the understanding of political power.
  • gobstopper007
    4 years ago
    Reagan. Could work with the leaders across the aisle and could address the people like no other.
    4 years ago
    I vote Reagan also.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Jimmy Carter was smart in a nebish scientist sort of way, making him one of the worst Presidents in history. Too smart for his own good, when a street fighter mentality is needed. Reagan would have worked with everyone and delegated authority to the pros. Reagan's best trait was being smart enough to know that he was not smart enough to do the job on his own (Carter and Obama fell to this belief) and making sure he surrounded himself with smart people he could trust.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    Probably the best at working with the other side was Nixon or Clinton not necessarily the best presidents but those two along wit Johnson prolly would have gotten more co-operation from the the opposition party which would have been a big help in dealing with this type of a crisis.
  • booji boy
    4 years ago
    Reagan didn't exactly distinguish himself w.r.t. AIDS... In this thought experiment, I have to say I Like Ike for it best.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    LBJ understood raw political power. He was the master of political trading and arm twisting. He was also crude and rude beyond even the standards of Trump. The press just didn’t report on that back in the day.
  • grand1511
    4 years ago
    FDR....pulled us out of the Great Depression....won WWII...a pandemic would be a walk in the park for him.
  • Icey
    4 years ago
    I agree on FDR ....the greatest president the US ever had
  • Icey
    4 years ago
    Minus the putting Japanese Americans in concentration camps but I like yhe new deal
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    It took Harry Truman to end WWII Roosevelt was popular but those were different times. They couldn’t do things the same way now a days.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    A lot of historians think FDR kept us in a Depression by not simply allowing the market to self correct. Also, by winning the war the way he did, Stalin and, later, Mao enslaved half the earth under communism. Other than that, he did a helluva job.
  • RamPaige
    4 years ago
    FDR all the way. The New Deal, beating the Nazis, beating the Japanese, create social security. He was our last truly great president.
  • Icey
    4 years ago
    Mark what if scenarios are great for poetry. Not so great for history. Also the right wing slant in your comment is obvious.

• Icey
    4 years ago
    Truth is anyone other than Trump would have handled this better. Even Hoover
  • WILLYSGOTAWOMAN
    4 years ago
    I'm going with Obama since he had a plan for a pandemic in the affordable care act (Obamacare) that Trump repealed
  • JamesSD
    4 years ago
    Calming the nation, being a leader who listened to scientists.. I'll take Kennedy
  • mjx01
    4 years ago
    Gut instinct was FDR for reasons stated above. However, our society then wasn't broken in the way it was today. FDR + greatest generation = easily defeat covid. In today's idiocracy... were pretty f-ed no matter which prez you pick. I think the key here is really which prez wouldn't do dumb stuff to make it worse. FDR, Lincoln, Kennedy probably are good options.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    What did Kennedy accomplish ? Bay of Pigs, Cuban missile crisis, further involvement in Vietnam. History has remembered him as a young charismatic leader whose life was tragically cut short. The reality of his accomplishments, or lack thereof, is very different.
  • datinman
    4 years ago
    I'm going with John Adams. Thoughtful politician that had a guiding hand in forming our constitution. He was a Federalist, so bypasses the us vs them of our current two party system. He fought a revolution while yellow fever, small pox, typhoid, and dysentery were all endemic, so he probably wouldn't over-react. Plus no one would talk shit about him on twitter unless they were willing to duel with pistols at dawn.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion