tuscl

What was the SC scene like back in the day?

Wednesday, May 6, 2020 2:10 PM
Hey guys......I was wondering what were the Strip Club bars like in the 1990s and into the early 2000s? I would like to hear how the SCs were like "back in the day." While we all wait for our favorite establishments to re-open.....I'd just like to hear from people what there experiences were like in the 90s and 2000s.

47 comments

• goldmongerATL
    4 years ago
    I don't remember extras being so prevalent in the 1990's. That said, I had some in notorious places like 2001 in Tampa, the Block, a couple in San Francisco and the final days of the Combat Zone in Boston. In Atlanta, back in the day dances were only $10. Just like today. Oh, in many clubs they were literally table dances, up on top of your table.
  • shadowcat
    4 years ago
    I visited Tijuana in 1961. the only thing that was different then than now is that it was filthier and the dancers were mostly fuglies back then. I visited North Beach San Francisco in 1964 it was strictly stage shows only and U.S club stayed that way until around 1990 when lap dancing started appearing here and there.
  • pistola
    4 years ago
    All the girls had hairy pussies, there were no cell phones, and too many dancers wore glitter.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Massachusetts in the 1970's was stage dancing only with a bouncer breaking your arm if you touched. In the 80's with 4 clubs left in the combat zone the dncers were permitted one "dirty day" a week by the cops, so a hand job at your seat was de riguer at the Glass slipper. Florida: I recall no private rooms in the 70s. Late 80's and 1990's were tamer verssions of today. I recall extras as prevalent from late 90's to now. Inner Room Cabaret had $4.00 dances in the 80's; $6.00 up until 2003 or 04 and then $10 since then. It ios tamer now by a lot than in the early 2000's. Providence. $1.00 full contact tableside dances for as long as I recall morphed into CR's starting in the early mid 2000,s. Since then it is the extras capital of the northeast. In the early 2000's there were more clubsand things were cheaper. The crowds of pre covid recently paled in comparison.
  • AlBundy1966
    4 years ago
    I finally visited the Combat Zone last year. Was in town for the weekend and caught a Sox game then headed over to the Glass Slipper. I fell hook line and sinker for the "Anything goes VIP $550 special. What I got was 15 minutes of her talking.....5 minutes of air dancing.......8 minutes of the girl going to bathroom and the final 2 minutes of the 30 minute VIP putting her shoes back on.
  • AlBundy1966
    4 years ago
    After that bust of a night went back night 2 and had much better time and didnt fall for the VIP trick. I actually like the Glass Slipper atmosphere. Was the Combat Zone in the 90s pretty fucking crazy?
  • JamesSD
    4 years ago
    If there were no phones how did dancers ignore customers?
  • Subraman
    4 years ago
    My real SCing began late 90s. In SF, 1996 to 2001 was an amazing time, almost good enough that you might not even believe me if I blabber on about too much. But I'll say there was one club that combined lineups with the hotness of the Vegas clubs -- although they maintained that hotness level of day shift -- but with extras, in private curtained-off booths. And that was just one of a number of amazing clubs. There was another that sounds like Follies, based on descriptions -- high volume 5s, 6s, 7s, and an occasional 8, very low prices for extras, curtained off private booths. Another club that was often 50%-75% Asian girls, again extras and booths, for those of you who have yellow fever Things started going to shit as Deja Vu built a monopoly and corporate-ified all the clubs, and then the last vestige of greatness disappeared in 2007 with O'Farrell Theater's consent decree
  • goldmongerATL
    4 years ago
    @Albundy - around 1981 I was on my first business trip. People kept telling me I had to check out the Combat Zone. I was at a club and the DJ called a dancer to the stage and then had to call her again. From the dark back corner she yelled "I can't! This guy hasn't cum yet". I was standing at the end of the bar in front of the pass through. A waitress was on her knees blowing me. When we were done I moved down the bar. I looked back and another guy was standing in the same spot. I went back a few years later and it was tamer, but still off the charts. I got to experience that back corner.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Al the combat zone hey day had died by 1977. By the 90's they were down to about 8 clubs, when about 26-28 plus a number of dive bars with hookers was the way it was until the politicians got the excuse they needed to kill it: Harvard football player Andrew Puopolo was stabbed by three pimps after a hooker lifted his friends wallet and he chased her down. Took him 31 days of bad publicity to die. I was in college at the time and his cousin was in my frat so it hit us all pretty hard. The Glass Slipper was always my fav., especially on dirty sundays when the rules didn't apply.
  • goldmongerATL
    4 years ago
    Wow it was already declining when I was there in '81? Dang! There is no place like that. the Baltimore Block is not close.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    The combat zone was created when Boston was an actual port and had a lot of sailors. The 70's were very wild here, to the extent that you could smoke weed in the bleachers at fenway with no issue, but can't on the sidewalk now that its legal.
  • THE CHAINDOG
    4 years ago
    Circa 1987, no touching no extras, all the girls could dance, all sets had themes, first song in costume, second song topless, 3rd song on a blanket, 4th song naked, It was much more fun back then!
  • AlBundy1966
    4 years ago
    Thanks to all who have posted.......I like reading about what My new hobby looked like before I joined. I also like reading from you guys about the background of the Combat Zone. I am glad i got to experience the CZ last year when I was in Mass.
  • AlBundy1966
    4 years ago
    @goldmongerATL Your story is epic!!
  • whodey
    4 years ago
    That time period is when I started clubbing. The biggest difference I have noticed are the fake tits weren't nearly as well done as now, fake asses didn't exist (at least in my area) and there were fewer tattoos compared to now. There also seemed to be more effort put into the stage show at a lot of clubs compared to today even though dances and vip rooms were the way to make money. Here in Cincinnati the better looking girls danced at the lower mileage clubs on the Ohio side of the river and the plainer looking girls danced in the much higher mileage clubs across the river in Newport and Covington where the real fun could be had. Now there are no Cincinnati clubs and a lot fewer (and less fun) clubs across the river.
  • rattdog
    4 years ago
    i would love to back in time. early 90's up to early 2000's. action was almost as good as the high mileage clubs of today but the girls looked waay hotter than now both in quantity and quality. it'll never be like that ever again.
  • Jascoi
    4 years ago
    the 70s, 80s,,90s,y2ks were pretty much missed opportunity’s for me. my real sc experience started late 2011.
  • bdirect
    4 years ago
    mons venus was off the wall in the 90s......the good old days when the mob ran tampa and vegas
  • K
    4 years ago
    the major difference is the dancers are now much younger than me. There was more of a party atmosphere. the clubs paid the dancers per set. The clubs had fewer dancers per shift. No house fees, less competition and a minimum pay out from the club meant the dancers at some clubs were some of the hottest women I've ever seen . there were still clubs with unattractive and older dancers. There were more unground, after hour and private parties. Lap dances did exist but were called table dances or chair dances. Table dances did occur on a small table in some clubs but most dancers got off that step stool sized table seconds after the dance started and provided more contact. Dancers and customers doing lines of coke right out in the open was common.
  • goldmongerATL
    4 years ago
    I forgot about the SHE bar in Atlanta. It had a long stage down the middle with perv row on all sides. Seating was in booths along the walls. Each booth had about a 3 foot wide cocktail table with a floor length tablecloth. If you looked closely you could see the bottoms of stripper shoes peeking out from under some of the tables. The mob owned it and it was seized by the FBI. For some reason they had to try to keep it open before the trials. So the FBI tried running a strip club with no alcohol and fully clothed dancers. Tops didn't even come off. That didn't last very long.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Mons was great in the 90's. Every dancer was weighed when they were hired and had to weigh in every shift and be within 2-3 pounds of the original number or they were sent home. The place I miss was the Tanga, which I believe is now an on ramp to Route 60.
  • DeclineToState
    4 years ago
    @Subraman, The 1st club you reference is I'm guessing OFarrell Bros. But the other 2 you referenced: (2) like Follies . . . high volume 5s, 6s, 7s, and an occasional 8, very low prices for extras, curtained off private booths, and (3) other club that was often 50%-75% Asian girls, again extras and booths - which were those 2? And was that #2 Market Street Cinema perhaps?
  • Subraman
    4 years ago
    Yes indeed -- #2 is the legendary MSC, #3 is Crazy Horse.
  • goldmongerATL
    4 years ago
    What was the small club right near the convention center? Somewhere around 4th or 5th. It might have been called Chez Joey.
  • goldmongerATL
    4 years ago
    Not Chez Joey. Chez Paree.
  • Subraman
    4 years ago
    Chez Paree, long gone, but used to be the center of the online SC world, back when [view link].strip-clubs was the only game in town. Eventually turned into Pink Diamonds, an urban-style SC, and if I remember right got shut down after multiple violent crimes took place there.
  • Subraman
    4 years ago
    I moved from Chez Paree to O'Farrell in '96, which is my start of PLhood. I remember I went to O'Farrell, and then the next day my two SC wingmen and I met for drinks, and they sat in silent rapt fascination as I recalled for them my first ever strip club extra (a handjob in the cabanas). When I was done me and my other buddy looked at my third buddy, who was a cop, for his approval of the safety of this seemingly reckless action. He gave it the thumbs up, "SF law enforcement does not give a fuck about that", and there were many high fives and tequila shots in celebration
  • BuckMcNutter
    4 years ago
    Oh the memories.. My SC experiences were at their peek in the mid 90's in NYC. Funny money and Wall st dollars flying all over the place. Not many extras in NYC but there was fun to be had in NJ nude clubs. I remember $10 lap dances at a club at the NJ shore and watching the Yankees/Braves WS game at the same time. I almost had my arm up to my elbow inside some hottie. Then i was fortunate to spend time in SF during Mitchell Brothers best years in early 2000's. Each room had a box of condoms, lube, rubber gloves and tissues. That was customer service at its best. I loved the flash light room. 2-3 dancers would get buck naked on the carpet and start to chow on each other while we were allowed to have these flashlights so that we could see the action. Then they would come up to you after their show and ask if you wanted a private. They stood up and just draped the curtains around you and started to milk you like a cow. Why can't we have this every day again ??? :)))
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    I started SCing regularly in 2000 when I moved to Dallas - back then Dallas was pretty-much as it is now, a good # of pretty-good clubs but mostly just decent 2-way-contact dances - there might have been an outlier club or two where extras were common but I was not a hardcore SCer back then so if such clubs existed in the 2000s in Dallas they were not on my radar at the time nor were extras something I was looking for at the time. I relocated back-home to Miami end of 2009 and re-started some SCing in Miami in 2011 - then joined TUSCL in early-2012 - I was not an extras-guy nor was really interested and thought the Champagne Room was just a con to rip you off out of big $$$ - it wasn't till I started reading TUSCL regularly and reading the consistent accounts of others, that I became convinced extras were indeed available in certain clubs/areas. Pre-2000s I only SCed a handful of times in the 90s while living in South FL - per my limited experience at the time it was hard enough to just get consistent mileage/touching dances, seemed kinda hit or miss - extras were nowhere on my radar in the 90s in South FL - IDK if it was mostly me being a very infrequent SCer, or extras not being widely available (I assume a bit of both but seemed most SoFlo clubs were kinda on the tame-side vs extras-side); also the internet not being widely used in the 90s probably did not enable me to research clubs like we can today, but still back in the 90s SCing is something I did once in a blue moon thus I likely would've not had that much of a desire to research clubs to see what was available - at the time just touching a boob felt like I was going super-far. The limited knowledge I have of 70s, 80s, and 90s, SCing, is from all the time I've spent on TUSCL and what others have posted - it seems many SCers were like me in that they didn't experience good-mileage till maybe mid to late 90s either b/c it was not widely-available or they were not aware (probably mostly the former) - yet there are some vets on here that have told stories of wild clubs back in the 70s and 80s but seems those clubs/areas were more of the exception?
  • K
    4 years ago
    Mets1986..." I remember $10 lap dances at a club at the NJ shore " which clubs were you going to
  • BuckMcNutter
    4 years ago
    Delilahs Den ... they had a set of stairs leading up to a second level and I could get $10 dances there. They had a great lineup in Perth Amboy can’t believe that was so long ago. When they did the cat walk at midnight there was like 30 to 40 ladies all naked. Can’t believe how quickly that place went downhill
  • bdirect
    4 years ago
    even tv had go go dancers..... laugh-in......... and jane fonda was doing sexy outspace movies before she turn into Hanoi Jane
    4 years ago
    There was a place in NYC called Harmony I think. It was on Church St I remember walking there about 2 miles from Times Sq and trying to find it with a paper tourist map. Probably around late 80s. Small dark place where for a dollar you could touch the stage dancer anywhere all you wanted. After an hour of that I found a stairway that led to a basement full of semi private booths and in everyone there was a sex act. Dark but still pretty obvious. Don’t remember anything about the cost but I do remember staying a looong time and having a lot of fun.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    I clubbed in a number of cities in the 80s and 90s. The only place that I found extras was San Francisco. Mitchell Bro’s and others. It blew my mind what went on there, and how open they were about it, compared to other cities. The only problem was it was damn expensive. Of course, a lot of this was pre-internet. I suspect there were opportunities back then that I knew nothing about.
  • FishHawk
    4 years ago
    My first SC experiences were in San Diego. I was stationed there while in the Navy. In the early 70’s. Some nude clubs some topless. No private dances, Stages generally separated from the customers. Monterey was next one club, Nude you could sit right up to the stage, Still no private dances. Then San Francisco only went to one of the famous clubs at the time. I thought the hype was way more then the actual experience. Late 70’s in Washington, DC Good stage dances lot’s of interaction with dancers on stage, still no private dances but dancers would sit with you if you bought a bottle of champagne and lots of fondling would happen. 80’s and 90’s in North Carolina started to get table side dances, still pretty low milage. Early 2000’s VIP areas started to show up still pretty public but some titty fondling and occasional nipple sucking happened. This was in Pensacola, Alaska and South Carolina.
  • K
    4 years ago
    mets1986 - Delilahs Den - I have some fond memories of the lower parking lot. I would spend more time at Pumps in Keansburg or the Body shop (now Fantasies) than DD. They had better take out IMO. The 35/36 corridor of iniquity was amazing in those days
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    There's a new TUSCL article published about clubbing back in the day - it's pretty-good
  • TimJo
    4 years ago
    I love some of these stories. Thanks for the entertainment everyone! I first experienced clubs while working at a radio station as a summer job. They would sell remotes and broadcast from a strip club once each week over the summer. It was so surreal to watch the whole scene and how the girls did business. I wasn't a customer or an employee of the club. Just sort of a fly on the wall. Years later, I got more involved as a customer while traveling for work. Looking back 15 years later, I've been to clubs all over the US, from NYC to Miami, Chicago, Houston, Dallas, San Diego, etc. Funny quick story... I was in Dallas for a meeting and we got stuck in town an extra night due to snow and ice. The city wasn't prepared for it and so no flights going out. My 2 coworkers and I decided to make the most of it and go find a strip club. But almost no taxi drivers were working, again due to the ice. We found 1 taxi driver up for the mission and actually convinced him to park it and come in and relax with us for an hour or two. We were afraid we wouldn't be able to find a ride back to the hotel, so we kept the ride with us to enjoy the view!
  • 79terrier
    4 years ago
    Sun-Times I remember a rumor in the 90s that Mitchell Brothers was bringing in girls from the Bagwan Sri Rashneesh up in OR.
  • K
    4 years ago
    mets1986 you got me reminiscing Did you ever go to any of the events at birch hill? There was a dance club on rt 35 that did a male stripper show once a month. I cannot remember the name but we would spend a few hours at DD, then head over to that club at 11 when they opened it to men . Even a troll like me could get laid easily. Do you recall the name of that club? I don't think it was any of Art Stock's clubs but I might be mistaken on this.
  • Subraman
    4 years ago
    "I clubbed in a number of cities in the 80s and 90s. The only place that I found extras was San Francisco. Mitchell Bro’s and others. It blew my mind what went on there," Mark, as I regaled earlier in the thread, I started hitting Mitchell Bros (MBOT) in '96. What blew my mind there was how incredibly beautiful the women were; we also had the advantage of not just the internet, but the most organized set of PLs in the country. And probably in history, the amount of detailed information shared on each girl (SF review culture has always been about the girls and the PL's personal experience, not the club, which is why I am sometimes a square peg here when it comes to what I want in a review) was incredibly extensive.
  • Liwet
    4 years ago
    Lap dances were $20 and lasted 10 minutes. The girls would have an egg timer in their purse in order to time you.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    What was the going rate for FS at MBOT in its heyday? Was BBBJ available or only CBJ (given in the 90s we were in the thralls of AIDS).
  • Subraman
    4 years ago
    Papi, when I started going to MBOT in '96 it was a funny mix of girls -- the strippers were smeared across the spectrum, from on extras all the way to FS and few beyond that (couple girls known to be open to anal, etc). By 2-3 years later, very few non-extras girls. FS back then was $300-$400. That's 2000 money, not 2020 money. On the other hand, we were all engineers loaded with stock options and could all afford it. That's MBOT; you could go to MSC and get FS for $100. But MBOT had, as I said, dayshift lineups that looked similar to Spearmint Rhino / Sapphire Las Vegas nighttime lineups, so the quality was outstanding. I don't know of many other clubs (maybe Mons at the time?) that had the combination of that quality of girls AND openly available extras in private curtained-off booths. You could get both CBJ and BBBJ back then, but CBJ was much easier to find. That said, I did not pursue BBBJs at the time, so there could have been much more of it going on than I was aware of. But I think the detailed reviews also showed that BBBJ was less common through 2002
  • Subraman
    4 years ago
    Actually it's coming back to me that the girls were trying to establish $200 HJ, $300 BJ, $400 FS as the official exchange rate. But in da boof prices went as low as $120 HJ, $180 BJ, $250 FS, but there were also definitely girls holding the line as well. That's, again, late 1990s money. The PL contingent was split among MBOT PLs (high extras prices for hot girls), MSC PLs (low extras prices for meh girls), and CH PLs (more into GFE with Asian girls, not always extras hounds). Basically, fans of the other 10 or so clubs, didn't participate as much in online forums, and as clubs got serially taken over by DJV and corporate-ified, and the experience turned to shit in each one, there was less and less discussion online about them
  • BuckMcNutter
    4 years ago
    @ k, no sorry. Never went to that place. and @ 623 : I went to the Harmony theater. It was an awesome Lap Dance factory. There was another place around time square that had the Playboy Centerfold gone bad porno star with big fake cans. She came on stage with a vibrator and microphone and shoved it into her uterus while we were all like 2 ft away.. I might have knocked one out without anyone knowing :) .... Some of the old peep show places around Times Square were good for just jacking off in front of a hottie. Oh how times have changed. I never went to any of the traveling Topless places in NYC. Maybe those will surface around the country if things don't go back to normal in SC's nationally.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion