tuscl

Don Shula has died

twentyfive
Living well and enjoying my retirement
Monday, May 4, 2020 7:44 AM
He will be remembered as the coach of the legendary undefeated Dolphin team as well as a popular head coach and a long time football icon

12 comments

• twentyfive
    4 years ago
    I believe he was the winningest coach in NFL history R. I. P.
  • wallanon
    4 years ago
    RIP Don Shula
  • ATACdawg
    4 years ago
    A classy guy, a great coach and a guy who never hesitated to adjust his system to his player's talents. He will be missed.
  • Huntsman
    4 years ago
    Great coach.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    He was 90 - he lived a long and seemingly good life - he was wealthy due to investments he made early on so he was able to give himself a good life (until recently he still did TV commercials) - he was still very popular in South FL and until not long ago he would be interviewed on TV and seemed to still have a good relationship with his players - the last few years he was always on a motorized-chair so it seems he had been having some health issues but he would still appear on TV from time to time and his mind seemed clear.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    Shula is survived by wife, Mary Anne, and by five children, 16 grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.
  • Cashman1234
    4 years ago
    RIP Don Shula. He was a great coach - and he also seemed to be a great guy.
  • Cristobal
    4 years ago
    RIP Coach Shula
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    Don Shula is a big of a god in South FL - he spent 25-years as head-coach and for much of that time till the late-80s the Dolphins were the only professional-game in town (the Miami Heat didn't come into existence till 1988; the Florida/Miami Marlins and Florida Panthers came into existence in the early-90s).
  • IHearVoices
    4 years ago
    He's the biggest name in South Florida sports history, and I seriously doubt anyone ever takes that title from him. You win SBs with the Dolphins, you get an elevated status. This will always be a Dolphins town for reasons stated above, and he's the enduring figure from that era. Actually, one could make an argument that his coming to Miami changed the course of the NFL in five cities. If he stays in Baltimore, the Colts probably don't have a swoon and maybe they stay instead of going to Indianapolis. If the Colts stay, the Browns don't go to Baltimore. Maybe they go to Indianapolis, but the landscape is much different in the mid-90s and they could have easily gone somewhere else (the Raiders, Rams, and Oilers/Titans all moved within that time frame). Also, without the Dolphins' success of the early 70s there probably isn't enough fan support to convince Pete Rozelle that a second Florida team would work.
  • misterorange
    4 years ago
    Shula's Steakhouse I don't know much about football, but if there's one thing I do know about it's great steakhouses. Of course I'm aware of Don Shula and his incomparable run as a coach, both on and off the field. This isn't meant to take anything away from his impeccable reputation as a coach and a human being. It's simply a restaurant review. There was a Shula's Steakhouse at a hotel just outside the airport in Newark, NJ so I had to try it. The food overall was better than average. I would describe the steak as "very good" but not exceptional. The service was acceptable, provided by a young, well-trained staff who were great at serving food in a mechanical sort of way, but were incapable of interacting with customers on any level beyond discussing menu selections. Being from the NYC area I can tell you that there is not a single "chain" steakhouse that even comes close to the likes of Peter Luger, Old Homestead or Gallagher's. That said, when compared to other high end "chains" like Morton's, Ruth's Chris, or Fleming's, I felt like Shula's fell far short of the mark, especially when considering the price tag. Not that I consider high price a detriment to an establishment (I'm a frequent diner at 21 Club) but if you're charging that kind of money and expect to be successful, you damn well better provide both food and service that challenge the best available. Shula's didn't do it for me. Quite honestly, I'd rather go to LongHorn where I can have a comparable experience for about $80 bucks, including a few drinks. Shula will (and should) be remembered for the great man he was and the impact he had on so many players, fans and the business of football. Unfortunately, he won't be remembered as a restaurateur.
  • Clubber
    4 years ago
    25, I think his wins are still about 3 seasons ahead of the patriots coach. As long as I wasn't out of town, I was all the games he coached in Miami. I had always liked the Colts and when he came to Miami, well I was in heaven! I'll never get over sitting in the Orange Bowl and watch the Colts lose SB III. Heartbroken when he left. May he Rest In Peace!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion