tuscl

Jacksonville Set to Raise Dancing Age to 21

IHearVoices
954 (South Florida)
Monday, March 2, 2020 12:48 PM
Among other changes...the scene in the 904 might look really different really soon. [view link]

18 comments

• nicespice
    4 years ago
    Huh, interesting. Having to be 21+ is already a thing at a lot of clubs that don’t hurt for dancers wanting to work there. (Especially if they are in an environment where they are worried about revoked liquor licenses). It will be interesting if this is a growing trend in the future.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    "... Police will have on-demand access to the clubs now, and cause won’t be necessary for them to enter. The goal of “curbing sex trafficking” demands such, the Councilwoman added ..." Same old boogyman sex-trafficking shit, as if 9 out of 10 dancers do so b/c they are being trafficked, SMFH. "... Club license fees will go up to defray the cost of maintaining licenses, Cumber noted. Right now, the city is losing money, spending more on enforcement than is brought in from club licensure fees ..." More "we're from the government and we're here to help" BS - this seems it will just increase costs for dancers, and also make it harder for traveling dancers, while likely resulting in very-little progress on this "human trafficking epidemic". This antiquated anti sex-work mindset is so counter-productive and seems to do way more harm than good and solves very little.
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    They are also making the dancers get sheriff's cards and won't issue one to anyone previously convicted of certain crimes in strip clubs. It will be interesting to see how this shakes things up.
  • nicespice
    4 years ago
    —>“This antiquated anti sex-work mindset is so counter-productive and seems to do way more harm than good and solves very little.” On the flip side. it’s correlated with a few bills that have come up recently advocating legal full service sex work. I remember the mid 2000s had a level of homophobia that I don’t think really exists as much today?...right around when individual states were starting to legalize and it eventually became legal nationwide. Anti drug sentiment was strong and D.A.R.E. used to to have a lot of revenue and has since also lost power. And weed is already fully legal in some areas and on its way to being even more widespread. My guess is a lot of anti-industry legislation is there because some individuals recognize what’s coming, and they know they are losing.
  • nicespice
    4 years ago
    @rick (or anybody else who knows Jacksonville) how many dancers do you predict will get “kicked out” as a result?
  • IceyLoco
    4 years ago
    Thats how it is in Vegas. However the sheriff's card is very easy to get unless you have been arrested for prostitution or a felony.
  • Cashman1234
    4 years ago
    There are various methods in place to keep underage dancers from drinking in clubs. These new laws will hurt the younger dancers. Could this law cause certain clubs to move toward going BYOB? Just a thought.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Another coup for progressives as red Florida turns blue and Orwell's nightmare becomes a reality.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    ^ Florida elected a Republican Governor, and sent the Ex-Governor Rick Scott to Washington, sorry skibum but there's still fingerprints all over this measure that are red as red can be.
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    ===> "@rick (or anybody else who knows Jacksonville) how many dancers do you predict will get “kicked out” as a result?" It's hard to be certain, but probably a lot. Between the girls with recent criminal histories which may disqualify them, those with outstanding warrants who can't go near a police station and those who just never want a public record of what they do, it wouldn't shock me if some clubs' rosters turn over a lot. They'll probably migrate down the coast to Daytona and parts further south. Now there is a 90 day grace period, but by late May all of the clubs will have to comply.
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    Well, in this county the dancing age has long been 21 for the alcohol clubs. 18yo's would start in one of our two nude no alcohol clubs. They learn well. Panties off they shed all inhibitions. And they dance better in our bikini clubs than those who have not had that experience. SJG
  • goldmongerATL
    4 years ago
    In Atlanta the age is 18. Most under 21 dancers that want to are drinking anyway. It just means they drink "your" drinks. One dancer called the waitress over and said I wanted to order a drink. The waitress ignored me and recited the 18 year old's usual drink to her.
  • nicespice
    4 years ago
    @rick Well girls out there seem wild. 😆 Except the ones who are simply resisting a public record of any sorts—likely career oriented in some way. Feel free to keep us updated on how it progresses. I know I tend to troll you a lot but I really mean it here.
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    ^ No worries Nice. I know you troll because you have an unrequited fixation on me. ;) As far as the rest, I wouldn't call them particularly wild. Most of those warrants are for ticky tac stuff like unpaid fines and missed court dates for moving violations. Also, one of those "crimes" includes lewd/obscene acts, which the city just spent two year raiding clubs and prosecuting. Most people don't understand yet just how insidious this bill really is. By giving themselves the rights to suspend dancer licenses for "lewd/obscene acts" and to enter clubs without cause for compliance reasons, the nature of some of these clubs is about to change dramatically.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    4 years ago
    I have no problem with clubs having a 21+ rule for hiring dancers.
  • IHearVoices
    4 years ago
    In addition to 25's point, the mayor of Jacksonville is the former chair of the Republican Party of Florida. I don't particularly enjoy 18-20 year old dancers, but I'm for anyone doing what they want to do (within reason, etc). Even if they "clean up the clubs", the alternative for many of the girls affected by this is no better.
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    ===> "I have no problem with clubs having a 21+ rule for hiring dancers." Neither do I. It's all the other stuff that concerns me. They are ultimately giving themselves more power to go after the clubs themselves.
  • Tiburon
    4 years ago
    Dont really understand the issue with girls having to be 21+. Some girls need time out of HS before deciding whether taking off their clothes for perverted old men is the right career choice. How is this an issue again?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion