tuscl

College student strips for her thesis, academic stripping

I thought someone here might be interested in this story. Apparently a college student studying sex workers decided to go behind the scenes to really learn about stripping and wrote her thesis paper on the subject.
link
http://www.wyff4.com/education/13372744/…

She ends her message by saying "the biggest injustice is the stigma placed on her fellow dancers."

""A lot of these women are doing this to support their families. Several of them are single mothers. They work very hard at a job that can be quite tiresome," Heineman said.

If nothing more, she said she hopes to raise awareness of inequities and earn them the respect she thinks they deserve.

"Get to know your local stripper -- that's the message we should end on, yeah," Heineman said."
from the link. at
http://www.wyff4.com/education/13372744/…

I bet a lot of us here are already at work getting to know a local stripper. :)

6 comments

• DandyDan
    17 years ago
    Let me just say first that a story in Omaha made its way to Greenville, SC, but that's the power of the internet. As a resident of the Omaha area, I know one of the stations here had this story as one of the commercials they were showing in order for you to watch their news. I guess that is the power of sweeps month. Anyway, if she really wanted to be courageous, she should have gotten a job with the Play House south of Council Bluffs which is total nudity. the 20's is one of the local bikini bars I avoid.

Anyway, while there is certainly a stigma to being a dancer, the biggest obstacle to me would seem to me to be the lack of insurance, since they very much have to pay for their own healthcare. And if they have kids, like my one current favorite, and they become sick, they can't work.
  • Book Guy
    17 years ago
    Is she hot? Does she go down for cheap?
  • ThisOldManPlayed1
    17 years ago
    casualguy wrote - ""A lot of these women are doing this to support their families. Several of them are single mothers. They work very hard at a job that can be quite tiresome," Heineman said

I'm with Heineman - I just ordered a T-shirt from http://tshirthell.com/ that shows a silloette (sp?) of a strip on a pole with the words "I support single moms" below it. When I get it, I'm gonna' start wearing it to the clubs! All kind of funny T-shirts on this website, for both guys and gals.
  • Book Guy
    17 years ago
    Yeah, the thing I "yawn" at is, yet another politically corrct young female college student doing an "academic" discourse about sexuality, stripping, prostitution, the "difficult" lives of women on the "wrong side of the tracks," some kind of feminist "sisterhood" of "solidarity," etc. etc.

Don't they read? Don't they KNOW they are walking cliches? I've got to pillory one of these predictable academic exercises in a novel or something ...
  • JC2003
    17 years ago
    Speaking of single moms as dancers, word of advice: Mother's Day is a really, really bad day to pick to go to a strip club.
  • Book Guy
    17 years ago
    ROFL

FATHER'S day, on the other hand ... :)
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion