tuscl

NATIONAL DAY OF MOURNING -Since 1970, Native Americans have gathered at noon on

CJKent (Banned)
“The more a person needs to be right, the less certain he is...”
“Many Native Americans do not celebrate the arrival of the Pilgrims and other European settlers. To them, Thanksgiving Day is a reminder of the genocide of millions of their people, the theft of their lands, and the relentless assault on their cultures.

Participants in National Day of Mourning honor Native ancestors and the struggles of Native peoples to survive today.

It is a day of remembrance and spiritual connection as well as a protest of the racism and oppression which Native Americans continue to experience.”

Text of the plaque

“Erected by the Town of Plymouth on behalf of the United American Indians of New England”

Title couldn’t say it all.

18 comments

• CJKent (Banned)
    5 years ago
    “We have to make sure all Americans know the truth.

The educational system dismisses the genocide of indigenous people and slavery.

Some people say we should not teach actual history, because it’s too wicked and it’s too hard.

But it’s better off they know the truth, It does a disservice to Americans to live off on deception and myths.”
  • ime
    5 years ago
    It seems fashionable to paint the Pilgrims and Puritans as greedy invaders, set on seizing land and killing the natives, but this is not accurate. Modern historians specializing in this field give a much more favorable view of the early American settlers than many might think. The following are some interesting findings taken from Columbia University historian Alden Vaughan's scholarly work, New England Frontier: Puritans and Indians, 1620-1675:

-In the years before the Pilgrims arrived, the native population in New England was decimated by disease. By the time the Pilgrims arrived at Plymouth in 1620, there were only 15-18,000 natives in ALL of New England, an extremely low population density.

-Virtually all land acquired by the Puritans was done by voluntary means. The Indian tribes were often more than willing to trade land, which they had more than they could ever use, for new tools like metal plows and knives. In fact, it was the Indian tribes who typically approached the settlers to sell land. The Puritans were warmly welcomed into the Connecticut Valley, as the local natives wanted protection from their enemy, the Pequot Tribe.

-The Puritans actually believed the Indians to be WHITE. They thought they were one of the 10 lost tribes of Israel, and their darker skin was a result of the sun and the harsh elements, not of a different race. While they thought themselves to be culturally superior, they didn't view themselves as racially superior. Most saw their purpose as integrating and converting the Indians to adopt their customs. Not to conquer or slaughter them.

-Puritans invited and encouraged the natives to attend their schools, both grade school and higher learning. The 1650 charter of Harvard declared its mission "the education of the English and Indian youth". Unfortunately, most of the Indians who did integrate into their schools and society were decimated by disease, a reoccurring problem. The primary reason for the decline in Indian population was disease.

-John Eliot, "the Apostle to the Indians", undertook and completed the monumental task of translating the entire Bible into Algonquian. Since they had no written language, this involved not only learning Algonquian, but inventing a written language for them. Then, copying the entire Bible into that language, a mind boggling task.

-Puritan courts generally decided in favor of the Indians during land disputes. The historical records show a much fairer system than most would think today in settling disputes and crimes.

-Like every society, the Puritans were complex, imperfect and indeed committed atrocities. In particular, the Mystic Fort massacre during the Pequot War, where hundreds of Pequot tribal members, including women and children, were surrounded and killed. However, the lead up to this conflict was nuanced, with both sides bearing responsibility. Additionally, the Mohegan tribe joined the Puritans in fighting the Pequots during the war.

The real history of the early settlers is much more complex (and interesting) than the standard Thanksgiving fairy tale or the more contemporary notion that they were greedy, bloodthirsty, genocidal invaders. To learn more, Dr. Vaughan's book is a good start. http://amzn.to/2fv1KAk
  • founder
    5 years ago
    I personally did nothing to native Americans. Nor did any of my ancestors fleeing economic strife in their home countries.

Additionally, neither I or any member of my traceble liniage ever owned another human being.

It is impossible to make me feel guilty for the actions of past generations. I live my life by the Golden rule. I don't see color, only character.

• Call.Me.Ishmael
    5 years ago
    I can see that your days of baiting TUSCL into flame wars are rapidly approaching their middle.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    >“We have to make sure all Americans know the truth.<

I'd make a bet that most Americans know the truth, and believe it or not the truth is not what you and your little band of so-called woke SJWs think it is, the real truth is that it is not reasonable or possible to apply the standards of the 22 century that we live in now to the standards of 15th and 16th century, it doesn't fit nor can you make it different, try living in the present, and doing the right thing now, and while you are at it you might find that the world isn't quite as negative as your dark twisted views

BTW I'm not naive and am quite aware that there is injustice in the world, I do what I can to contribute to the positivity, and eschew the meanness and divisiveness that your angry posts suggest is your negative world view
  • CC99
    5 years ago
    @ime

That's what gets me every time people talk about "genocide!" The reduction in native American numbers was almost entirely due to disease. People want to blame the Europeans because they were European diseases that the Native Americans didn't have immunity to but that's just absurd. Genocide has to be an intentional attempt to wipe out an ethnic group. Disease is not spread intentionally. It is controlled by nature. People are blaming the Europeans for what nature did.
  • Warrior15
    5 years ago
    Maybe we need a " Trying to start an Argument " Room .
  • founder
    5 years ago
    Duly noted, warrior15
  • georgmicrodong
    5 years ago
    I'm in founder's shoes. My family, both sides, came over after both of those atrocities happened in this country, and while I can acknowledge that there were, in fact, atrocities, neither I nor my family had any part in them.

I'm sure it's possible that going back far enough, there are atrocities galore in *everyone's* family tree, including my own. Thing is, I'm not responsible for any of those, and I decline to accept any duty or obligation to correct them, other than that of *any* human being to do my best to see that they don't happen again.
  • CJKent (Banned)
    5 years ago
    @CC99

“Genocide has to be an intentional attempt to wipe out an ethnic group...”

“The “Indian Removal Act” was signed into law on May 28, 1830, by United States President Andrew Jackson.

The act has been referred to as a unitary act of “systematic genocide”, because it discriminated against an ethnic group in so far as to make certain the death of vast numbers of its population.”
  • CJKent (Banned)
    5 years ago
    @CC99

There exist numerous stereotypes and slurs against Native Americans, but the proverb:

"The only good Indian is a dead Indian"

is a particularly hateful invective.

It has been in use in the United States since the 1860s, and General Philip Sheridan has repeatedly been named as its originator.

The proverb's history, dissemination, meaning, and variation are traced to the present day, showing that it is used with surprising frequency in American literature and the mass media as well as in oral speech.

These unfortunate and misguided expressions of hate and prejudice as well as others unfounded generalization are, sadly, part of American History.
  • founder
    5 years ago
    Momma always said, "The best place to fight the Injustices of centuries ago is on an internet website dedicated to strip clubs".

Always knew my mom was crazy.
  • MackTruck
    5 years ago
    Rite
  • MackTruck
    5 years ago
    "Maybe we need a " Trying to start an Argument " Room ."

Good idea
  • CC99
    5 years ago
    @CJKent

This is what the Native America population looked like over time.

https://therooseveltreview.org/wp-conten…

Almost every example one would be able to give of abuse happened in the 19th century when smallpox had already 90% of the Native American population. Yes there were several massacres and our government was a real dick during the 1800s. But Thanksgiving goes back to Pilgrim days where any abuses would've been on a very small scale. Most people though try to act like the Europeans somehow intentionally controlled smallpox and made it kill everyone. Smallpox killed 60 million Europeans during the 18th century too though. It was a nasty disease that was a major threat to daily life. It just happened to hit the native americans harder than it hit the Europeans.
  • nemesisk7
    5 years ago
    1890 Wounded Knee massacre , Did you forget ?
  • skibum609
    5 years ago
    Might makes right bitches.
  • Musterd21
    5 years ago
    My family on both sides were here in America long before the Pilgrims came over. We celebrate because we love to eat!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion