tuscl

OT: US threatens to pull troops from Germany if no increase in NATO defense spen

Papi_Chulo
Miami, FL (or the nearest big-booty club)
The U.S. Ambassador to Germany Richard Grenell has suggested the United States should pull thousands of troops if the country does not increase its required NATO defense spending.

"It is actually offensive to assume that the U.S. taxpayer must continue to pay to have 50,000-plus Americans in Germany, but the Germans get to spend their surplus on domestic programs," Grenell told the Germany press agency DPA this week, which the U.S. Embassy later tweeted.

It is estimated there are 34,000 American service members stationed in Germany across more than three dozen Army and Air Force bases, as well as 17,000 American civilian support staff.

Grenell also took to Twitter to criticize Germany's lack of spending on defense.

"There are 34,000 U.S. troops in Germany protecting Germans and Europeans. I can tell you this: [journalist Roland Nelles] & [Der Spiegel magazine] are wrong. Americans don’t understand why Germany isn’t meeting its NATO obligations & helping the West. And they are growing very annoyed by it," he said Thursday.

Der Spiegel correspondent Roland Nelles wrote last week that Americans "should not care much about whether or not Germany participates in the Iran mission," this after Germany recently rejected a U.S. request to join a naval security mission to safeguard international transit through the Strait of Hormuz.

U.S. Ambassador to Poland Georgette Mosbacher also chimed in on Twitter, saying Poland meets its NATO requirements and would "welcome American troops in Poland."

"Poland meets its 2% of GDP spending obligation towards NATO. Germany does not. We would welcome American troops in Germany to come to Poland," she said.

U.S. President Donald Trump announced in June a deployment of 1,000 U.S. service members to Poland to provide "basing and infrastructure” to the 1,000 troops already stationed there. Poland officials have also touted a proposal to build a "Fort Trump" permanent U.S. military base in Poland, which Trump has expressed interest in but not committed to.

The NATO-Russia agreement from 1997 stipulates that NATO will carry out missions through reinforcement rather than "permanent stationing of substantial combat forces on the territory of new members," including former Warsaw Pact countries such as Poland.

NATO member nations are required to contribute 2 percent of their Gross Domestic Product (GDP) to defense spending. The United States contributes the most, with an estimated 3.39 percent of its GDP spent on defense in 2018. It was estimated that Germany spent 1.23 percent of its GDP last year.

Trump has repeatedly criticized NATO members, specifically Germany, in the past for not stepping up to contribute more.

"We expect a growing number of nations to meet the minimum 2 [percent] of GDP requirement. To address today’s challenges, all members of the alliance must fulfill their obligations. They have no choice," Trump said in June while visiting London and meeting with then-Prime Minister Theresa May, Reuters reported at the time.

Trump had expressed similar sentiments at a White House meeting in April with NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg.

"We've worked together on getting some of our allies to pay their fair share. At some point, it's going to have to go higher," Trump said at the time.

"Germany is not paying their fair share," the president had noted. "I have a great feeling for Germany, but they're not paying what they should be paying. We're paying for a big proportion of NATO, which is basically protecting Europe."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/us-…

10 comments

• Muddy
    5 years ago
    So take them out fuck it. A lot of soldiers are going to upset, Germany 🇩🇪 is highly preferred of many soldiers. My former First Sergeant is like a guy 6 at best but his German wife is like a way too smoking hot German blonde 9 at least. I can definitely see why American service members like it there. But it ain’t fucking 1946 anymore. Fuck it time to move. Germans will be ok.
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    List of NATO countries by contribution to NATO:

United States, 3.61%.

Greece, 2.38%.

Britain, 2.21%.

Estonia, 2.16%.

Poland, 2%.

France, 1.78%.

Turkey, 1.56%.

Norway, 1.54%.

Lithuania, 1.49%.

Romania, 1.48%.

Latvia, 1.45%.

Portugal, 1.38%.

Bulgaria, 1.35%.

Croatia, 1.23%.

Albania, 1.21%.

Germany, 1.19%.

Denmark, 1.17%.

Netherlands, 1.17%.

Slovakia, 1.16%.

Italy, 1.11%.

Czech Republic, 1.04%.

Hungary, 1.01%.

Canada, 0.99%.

Slovenia, 0.94%.

Spain, 0.91%.

Belgium, 0.85%.

Luxembourg, 0.44%.

https://www.businessinsider.com/nato-sha…
  • Lone_Wolf
    5 years ago
    Just watched a WW2 movie - best we keep the troops there at any cost.
  • doctorevil
    5 years ago
    The reason for NATO was to counterbalance the USSR and the Warsaw Pact after WW II. They disintegrated in 1990. There is no real need for NATO anymore. Until the USSR dissolved, we had 300,000 troops in Europe, mostly in Germany, ready to go to war on a couple of hours notice. The the fact we have only a token presence now proves they aren’t really necessary.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    The Russians and the Chinese would love to see us pull our troops out of Germany, for that reason alone I believe it would be a big mistake.
    5 years ago
    Those who ignore history are destined to repeat the same mistakes. There is a reason why troops are stationed in Germany and I for one am not ready to trust the Germans to police themselves.
  • Assmanjoe
    5 years ago
    Met my first Polish (from Poland) stripper on Friday :) a gorgeous PAWG with more than half a brain, I'm a huge fan of Poland at the moment.
    Its a good threat to get Germany to pay up. Putin has an expansionist ideology and Russia is still a threat in the world, ESPECIALLY to eastern and central europe. Itd be a mistake to yank our troops out in one fall swoop - the Russians would get an instant hard on and the Germans couldnt fight them off. If we moved our troops to Poland, its a moot point but if we want to bring them home we have to let and encourage Germany to defend themselves again (risky given their history, but how long can we stay there, realistically?). Same goes for Japan w.r.t China. We cant pull our troops out without counterbalances to the other big powers. China has their shit together a lot moreso than Russia so we really need the Japanese to step it up.
  • doctorevil
    5 years ago
    This place is great. Where else but TUSCL can you discuss global geopolitical strategy and PAWGs at the same time?
  • Assmanjoe
    5 years ago
    @heaving - that was supposed to be a compliment, albeit a somewhat sarcastic one. guess i used up all my good ones on her cause she gave me her number lol PAWG is a phat ass white girl, this girls like a walking urbandictionary.com definition. fucking incredible body if you like your women full figured or just big-bootied. google nat foxx, kind of similar to her, shes also polish. this girl was smart too, very worldly. i shouldnt be anymore but im still always pleasantly surprised when a stripper shows some deep intellect. for me that just makes her hotter.

@doctorevil - lmao hell yeah!
  • JamesSD
    5 years ago
    And Putin keeps making Trump and Moscow Mitch dance
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion