tuscl

my neighbor keeps using my parking space

gothamyte
from that Adam Westsiiiide of Gotham
Wednesday, July 3, 2019 11:29 AM
so in my apartment complex, we got assigned parking. i've lived next to my neighbor like 10 yrs now. she's a nice elderly lady. but she has everyone under God that she knows parking in my space. everyday. and since she's elderly, of course, her car stays in her spot and never moves. i don't know why i let it slide all these yrs, maybe because she's elderly, but i absolutely cannot take it another day. but i don't know how to tell her, after letting this slide 10 yrs. and she never asks if her peoples can park in my assigned space. i get home, there's a car in my spot. it's her son. it's her daughter. it's her ex fiance. i stay parking in vistor parking. we get along. me & her. it's really bugging me now, because our complex just repainted the spaces. so i feel like now's my chance. but i also feel like c'mon, lady why do i have to ask you for something that's mine? so many of her folks park there, I KNOW, I KNOW, I KNOW after i tell her, one person's not gonna get the message and still park there--because they didn't know and they always park there. and i'm gonna go apeshit. what's the best way outta this.

25 comments

• Musterd21
    5 years ago
    Borrow a friends car and leave it parked there for a week. Let them learn where the visitor lot is located!
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    Write a formal letter of complaint with pix times and dates to the manager, and demand that they deal with it. You can threaten to with hold payments until the situation is resolved
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    I would not ask an old lady to move from my space but I *would* knock on the door and ask the offending party to move the car
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^ Why should he risk a potential conflict with a neighbor that’s managements responsibility
  • gothamyte
    5 years ago
    dude, i like that idea of having someone i know parked there for a straight week. i'm going to try that! don't know why i never thought of that
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    5 years ago
    Politely but firmly tell your neighbor that you need access to your parking space. If you find her guest's car in your space, knock on her door and ask the guest to move it. This really shouldn't require a lot of nerve...
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    @gothamyte that’s stupid if you retaliate your neighbor might not feel inclined to ask just call management and have the car towed, if you do that she will have your friend car towed and your buddy will rightfully demand payment from you.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    5 years ago
    If you get along with her, then just talk to her. Exhaust the diplomatic options before getting management, tow companies, etc., involved. If you've put up with it for 10 years, then you can take the time to resolve this without starting a feud.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^ that’s not starting a feud no manager worth their salt will state where the complaint originated and if you do it person to person there’s a high chance of escalation.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    5 years ago
    Well, if the spots are assigned, then it won't take a lot to figure out where the complaint came from. Especially when they see Gotham's car parked there. Start with a polite conversation and work from there. But to each their own.
  • Spillthebeans
    5 years ago
    Just ask her to remind her guests they need to park in visitor parking, since the space they have been using is yours. If they continue, then it is time to contact management. Either you will be upset or some one else will be, it is you decision who it will be !!!!
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^ every place that I’ve ever seen with assigned spaces, has an enforcement contract with a tow company, if cars are parked in spaces other than their own they can be towed, it’s up to managers to maintain the peace, sorry CMI, but the problem is one of enforcement not something that should be dealt with on ones own.
  • gothamyte
    5 years ago
    musterd21 hit it on the head. i'll just get one of my family members to give up one of their cars for a while and stay parked in my spot for like a month, so nobody else can. as i park at visitor. and then at some point, i'll mention it to my neighbor she can't park on my spot anymore and still have my family member's car stay parked in my spot for another 2 weeks so they get the message. it's my spot, so it won't be towed. of course by now i'm used to parking in vistor. i can easily go a month or more parked there and actually, visitor parking is near the exit of the complex, so it's convenient. it just sucks the time my space is actually open and i park at it, i go to the store for 20 min, come back and my spot's taken by her peoples. that quick. nobody ever asks for permission or anything. i've let it slide for 10 yrs. it's hard to suddenly bring it up now. i've never mentioned to her it's been a problem all this time. but the new paiting on the parking lot by management finally gives me an ice-breaker to tell her from here on forward, your peoples cannot park here, period. my mom/dad's/sister's car is gonna be parked here for like a month straight for you fools to get the message. you solved my problem. this oughta work... btw, not only is she elderly, but we're not the same race. if we were all the same race, yeah, we woulda had this convo long ago. i'm black, she's white. i'm not scared of anybody, but i was always wondering if by telling her that her peoples can't park on my spot, it's gonna come out in some weird tone, being i'm younger than her and she's older, and we're not the same race, even though it's my spot. if we were closer in age, we'd have this convo sooner. and we're cool, we get alone fine.
  • whodey
    5 years ago
    Tell her you need the parking spot free for OTC with strippers and hookers. Her reaction should be worth a good laugh.
  • rh48hr
    5 years ago
    Where is her assigned spot and why is she not parkng there? If she is using your spot for her family, then management can get involved bc you can say you don't know who's car it is. If it's her car, if you get along and if her spot is not out of the way you could negotiate switching spots if you deem the spot better for her because of her age. But quite honestly, this situation is all on you for waiting 10 years. Now everything seems passive aggressive. You really have no one to blame for this situation but yourself because your actions told the lady it was ok for her and her family to park there.
  • Cristobal
    5 years ago
    The TUSCL discussion board solving one important issue at a time.
  • ime
    5 years ago
    There is really one way to deal with it. Light her car on fire.
  • ime
    5 years ago
    In the city I grew up with and some of you city guys will know this, when it snowed and you shoveled out your car you marked that shit with a cone or a trash can or folding chair and you owned it since you did the work. Saw many an argument and occasional fist fight over people taking other peoples spots they shoveled out.
  • Liwet
    5 years ago
    Talk to the land lord or get the car towed.
  • Muddy
    5 years ago
    Put dog shit under the car handle of every offender. We used to do it as kids and it was highly effective
  • Clubber
    5 years ago
    I had that problem in my condo many many years ago. I slashed the tires. Did it a couple of times to my own car when I put worthless tires on it at my friends shop. I told the little hilter condo thugs to protect my car and others. Not sure what did it, but they stopped using my spot. Never got to slash their tires again.
  • Lone_Wolf
    5 years ago
    Loan her $4000.
  • IceyLoco
    5 years ago
    Take pics of her car in your space, show management and complain. Its pretty simple. If you have a tow company, call them or have management call them so you can remove the car from your space.
  • Jascoi
    5 years ago
    spillthebeans idea would be a reasonable tactic. I would try that first. if that didn’t work... consider parking YOUR car in your space at first chance... and then leave YOUR car there... either rent a car to use as your daily driver for a week or take Uber perhaps... but leave YOUR car to MARK YOUR SPOT.
  • Jascoi
    5 years ago
    i had to do the second tactic at my family’s cabin a few years ago. it still is working.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion