tuscl

Mexican Tariff threat worked Bigly

mark94
Arizona
The Mexicans have agreed to enforce their southern border, crack down on human traffickers, and allow the US to return Central Americans to Mexico for processing of refugee claims. This will not only slash the number of illegal immigrants, it will end Catch and Release. Rather than being forced to keep illegals in the US, we can quickly return them to Mexico.

If the Mexicans fail to do this, tariffs will kick back in in 90 days. That would crush the Mexican economy.

37 comments

• twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^ you’re giving Trump too much credit, all he really did was crawl back to safety from the ledge he was standing on as it crumbled.
  • flagooner
    5 years ago
    Hmmm. Sounds similar to this line

"Democrats were more skeptical that Trump had achieved anything. “Crawling back off the limb and, predictably, declaring victory,” tweeted David Axelrod, President Obama’s former political advisor."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes…

• twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^ doesn’t make It untrue.
  • flagooner
    5 years ago
    Now Democrats are openly rooting for Mexico to pull one over on us.

WTF. Fucking Anti-American libtard pukes.
  • flagooner
    5 years ago
    Trump had the balls to put himself out on that limb to try to GET SOMETHING DONE.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^That’s crap and most Republicans think it’s crap too
  • mark94
    5 years ago
    One of the actions taken by Mexicans is shutting down the funding of these caravans. It will be interesting to discover who has been behind the massive effort to bus the Central Americans across Mexico.
  • flagooner
    5 years ago
    Are you saying that hoping that it fails is not anti-American?

So jaded and blinded by jealousy and hate.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^ How will you spin it when you find that the funding is coming from the pro tariffs and pro wall crowd. Both of Florida’s senators were for increased tariffs, makes sense especially in Rubios case he gets a lot of money from SE Growers it’s to their benefit if the price of avocados increase.
  • flagooner
    5 years ago
    Yeah, that's who he represents.
    Duh
  • flagooner
    5 years ago
    It's a Representative Democracy.

Why are the Democrat's representing Mexico?
  • mark94
    5 years ago
    Anyone who funded this assault on our borders needs to pay a price. That’s true no matter who they are. No spin needed. Fucking tar and feather them.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^ how about representing the people who buy the avocados DUH
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    @mark ima hold you to that.
  • flagooner
    5 years ago
    If avocados are too expensive buy something else.

Fucking libtards always want something for nothing.
  • mark94
    5 years ago
    Then, there’s Venezuela, where the Russians have pulled out, leaving Madura in an even more precarious position.

And Iran, whose economy has collapsed, making it difficult for them to continue funding terrorist groups in Syria, Yemen, and Gaza.

And China, where there are signs of economic trouble, reducing their ability to impose their regional power.

George Bush and Barack Obama used the military, Donald Trump is using Tariffs and Sanctions. Far more effective and less costly in terms of American lives.
  • Mate27
    5 years ago
    This is yyyyuuuuuuuuugggeeee!

China will not back down, and will fall further into economic collapse. People will revolt, and our supply lines will increase through Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore and other SE Asian countries. China needs the US more than we need them, so they will play with Russia but our technology will surpass theirs.

Anyway, by the time Trump serves out his second term China will be willing to negotiate out if necessity and a Democratic administration will try to take all of the credit, like they have always done.
  • Mate27
    5 years ago
    I only buy two avocados a month. If I have to pay double for avocados I can afford the extra $5/month or else I’ll go without, and buy a replacement homegrown food or cheaper import.

These tarrifs are only showing the rest of the world they need us.
  • 4got2wipe
    5 years ago
    Rather than discussing Trump’s victory or lack thereof, I have a question for mark94: why do you spend so much time discussing Trump’s strategies and his (potential) wins?

The results of the Mexico negotiations may be a with for Trump. Or Mexico may make some token efforts and things will basically stay the same, like the North Korea “win” where Kim is basically where he was before all the brouhaha but with a lower likelihood of sanctions. We’ll know in about six months in the case of Mexico, when everybody has stopped paying attention.

But the thing that interests me is why you (mark94) feel compelled to discuss Trump’s brilliance so much. Unlike flagooner, who is largely trying to rile people up, you seem sincere.

Here’s the reality: none of us know what’s really going on behind the scenes. Maybe you’re 100% right and Trump is solving previously intractable problems. Or maybe it is all smoke and mirrors. Who knows? But why spend so much time obsessively justifying his moves? It is just that you seem inordinately obsessed with explaining how brilliant those strategies are to a message board for deviants. Why?
  • mark94
    5 years ago
    This is one of only two forums in which I participate ( the other is sports related). I enjoy thinking about politics. I enjoy a good, fact-based debate ( I was on the debate team in high school ). My political beliefs are consistent with the most of the actions Trump has taken. So, I’ll occasionally post about Trump to generate a lively debate.

I realize that posting about politics may not be what many on this board may want. If so, please click the ignore button for me. If there weren’t an ignore function, I probably wouldn’t post about politics. I’ve put others on ignore who use this forum for purposes that I don’t enjoy. The ignore button is a beautiful thing.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    @Meat I think you might be rong here, I think the tariffs will force the rest of the world to catch up and maybe they won’t need us so much. Sorry but the market agrees with me more than you.
  • daddyfatsack
    5 years ago
    I for one am looking forward to the answer to question above
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    Obama probably would have been apologizing to Mexico and blaming the US for the migration crisis - hell Obama might have even put tariffs on the US 😄
  • RandomMember
    5 years ago
    Basically nothing happened and things are the same as they were under USMCA/NAFTA. But Trump looks like a hero to his clueless base, even though he caved to the obvious pressure from business leaders and nearly everyone else.

...good thing because fruitcups would have been significantly more expensive.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^ Trumps tariffs are paid by US citizens it’s really difficult to see how any of you guys, think of tariffs as a win, it’s just totally illogical, just as Mexico cant tax iUS citizens, neither can the US president tax Mexican or Chinese or citizens of any country, other than our own.
  • Jascoi
    5 years ago
    politics and war. so many sticky fingers.
  • RandomMember
    5 years ago
    This is yet another example of Trump lighting a fire and we're supposed congratulate him for putting it out.
  • flagooner
    5 years ago
    Sphincter
  • pistola
    5 years ago
    F* a wall, build a damn dome
  • Icey
    5 years ago
    Trumps biggest strength is the ignorance and stupidity of his supporters.
  • 4got2wipe
    5 years ago
    mark94, thanks for the sincere answer. I’m not bothered by political threads. I mostly ignore them the old-fashioned way: by not reading them. My reason for ignoring them is that they are almost always the same old same old. I come to TUSCL for a laugh after all!

The thing that does interest me is motivations of individuals. For example, I think flagooner just likes to rile people up and doesn’t care exactly what he posts. For all we know he could be a (gasp!) progressive getting some laughs by posting pro-Trump material to stir the pot. Ok, I doubt that that the case, but I am amused by the idea that flagooner is actually a woke 21-year old with white-boy dreadlocks and three hobbies: playing hacky sack, smoking “loser leaf,” and getting conservatives on a strip club web site riled up! ;)

But I have always pictured your motivations differently. Like I said, you seem sincere. My suspicion has been that you embraced orthodox neocon positions but when Trump ran he spoke to you at a personal level. This made you want to like Trumpism despite being skeptical. So you are actually debating with yourself regarding Trump’s heterodox policy positions.
  • mark94
    5 years ago
    All great nations eventually fail. The cause is the rot that sets in as a result of success. Corruption and self interest are unavoidable. The only hope is that a renewal can take place, energized by the people and lead by someone with a clear understanding of what is needed.

Ronald Reagan was such a leader. To my surprise, the orange salesman from Brooklyn is showing signs he may also be such a leader. For all his personal flaws, he is our best hope for reversing this nation’s decline.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^ He’s from Queens, Jamaica Estates to be exact, he’s not a Brooklynite.
    5 years ago
    @Icey - as a educated conservative I couldn’t have said it better. I am ashamed to say I overlooked his obvious grandstanding and lying in the beginning to give him a chance (and because the alternative triggered my gag reflex). He’s had that chance and royalty screwed it up, I am just hoping that the damage he’s done can be undone.
  • Clubber
    5 years ago
    My take is it hasn't worked UNTIL it works! Let's see the decline in illegals and Mexico stick to it.

If I were President Trump, I'd tell Mexico, the very second WE decide you are not doing what you said you would, the tariffs go into effect, but DOUBLED!
  • Icey
    5 years ago
    Mexico, U.S. Agreed on Border Policies Months Before Trump’s Tariff Threat: New York Times

https://ktla.com/2019/06/08/mexico-us-ag…

lulz

I wonder though. Will the US try to keep underage alcoholics and sex tourists out of Mexico?????? Coz for the most part, its not the US' finest who are regularly going there....
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion