tuscl

Big Pharma

gawker
Older than dirt
Friday, May 10, 2019 6:33 PM
OT - I just saw a teaser for 60 Minutes where they’ll be talking about one of the greatest rip-offs in history - the prices that we pay for prescription medications. Yesterday I started a regimen of pills - one per day for 90 days. Easy enough. Each pill costs $1047. 50. I understand that the pharmaceutical company laid out millions developing the drug, conducting double blind studies and marching it through FDA approval. However the literature accompanying the pills speaks of “more than 8000” cures. So 8000 x $90,000 is $720,000,000. And the medication only came out last year and treats a condition where estimates of prevalence exceed more than 5 million undiagnosed cases. Now my co-payment is only $30.00 per month, but those who share my insurance company ( and every other one) will be paying higher insurance premiums. Why has our Congress prohibited Medicare & Medicaid from negotiating lower drug prices? Oh yah, another major expenditure driving up prices? Funding re-election campaigns, of course. And who’s getting screwed?

19 comments

• Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    I think that episode is a repeat (at least they did a segment like that not that long ago - I think it was Leslie Stahl doing the interview)
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    There's a new drug coming out expected to cost $2-million for the treatment: [view link]
  • IceyLoco
    5 years ago
    I remember during the negotiations for the Affordable Care Act, the SCOTUS ruled out price controls as being "unconstitutional" as they infringe on the rights of businesses to engage in free commerce.... However, insurance mandates like having to have car insurance are ruled constitutional .....basically its all about the money that the insurance industry throws around. #Corporatocracy
  • Mnaz
    5 years ago
    Hep c treatment is really expensive. The drugs are still better and less expensive than a liver transplant. The drug that cures spinal muscular atrophy, in the article Chulo linked, is pretty amazing and there’s probably more miracle specialty drugs coming, assuming dumbass democrats don’t destroy the healthcare industry.
  • IceyLoco
    5 years ago
    The availability of medicines or treatments doesn't mean shit when people don't have viable access to them.
  • NeverEnuf
    5 years ago
    Trump administration to require drug prices in TV ads [view link]
  • GhostOfHell
    5 years ago
    I understand that there are plenty of conditions people are born with. But our healthcare system is based on treatment and keeping a patient alive for a long a possible regardless of quality of life instead of prevention, healthy nutrition and healthy lifestyle. In medical school one has to go out of their way to learn more than the very basic in prevention and nutrition. It's as though your doctor is taught what symptoms to expect at certain ages and the treatment and if you are not experiencing those symptoms they give you something to edge it on.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Originally Medicare was to have cost controls, board approved fees. But LBJ scraped that in order to get support from the American Medical Association. Originally they were opposing Medicare. So this is why costs have so exploded. New proposals to have Universal Medicare, do include the establishment of cost controls, and the AMA does now support this. SJG
  • IceyLoco
    5 years ago
    the AMA realizes doctors will bel be out of business if patients can't afford them.
  • Lone_Wolf
    5 years ago
    Man, it's amazing they have a cure now for hep c.
  • Uprightcitizen
    5 years ago
    There is a reason why the United States is a leader in innovative drug development. Profit. New proprietary drugs become generic after 20 years and prices drop considerably as competitive forces drive down production cost. You wouldn't have the advanced drugs we have now unless there was a financial incentive to cover the considerable cost and risks of development.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    ^^^^^^ Shorter life expectancy, higher infant mortality, higher maternal mortality, in the US than in other industrialized countries. But a much higher rate of people doing prayer circles and prayer vigils than in the countries which have single payer health care. SJG I only like this heavily track overlaid studio recording of this song, not any of the live versions. Cause of the singer's style. And I don't so much like the other guys who usually sings this either. [view link] Suspicious Mind - Elvis Presley [view link] Glenn Campbell, experience really shows, in my opinion. They have a four string bass player, but notice the guy who solos on the six string bass. [view link] Try a Little Tenderness [view link]
  • IceyLoco
    5 years ago
    Most large pharmaceutical companies aren't American.... and they don't charge the same prices elsewhere coz laws don't allow it. They price gouge Americans coz the gov won't protect the people from predatory capitalism. As for saying drugs go generic after 20 years, tell that to the people who will die because they can't afford them until then.
  • JamesSD
    5 years ago
    Medicare and Medicaid should be allowed to negotiate. But drug prices are complicated.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    ^^^^ agreed. But it is also intended that a Universalized Medicare will be negotiating on doctor's fees, instead of just picking up the tab. SJG Police - Roxanne - 2008, really altered the phrasing for this performance. Phrasing has always been a big part of their sound. [view link] I only like this heavily track overlaid studio recording of this song, not any of the live versions. Cause of the singer's style. And I don't so much like the other guys who usually sings this either. [view link] Suspicious Mind - Elvis Presley [view link] Glenn Campbell, experience really shows, in my opinion. They have a four string bass player, but notice the guy who solos on the six string bass. [view link] Try a Little Tenderness [view link] Lauryn Hill - Killing Me Softly [view link] [view link] [view link] I'd Rather Go Blind [view link]
  • Daddillac
    5 years ago
    ^^^^^^ Shorter life expectancy (ON AVERAGE BY 2 YEARS FROM THE BEST).... bullshit liberal claim higher infant mortality (US HAS 5 DEATHS PER 1000, JAPAN IS THE BEST WITH 2.5, AFGHAN IS 125 DEATHS PER 1000).... another bullshit claim higher maternal mortality (STILL NEAR THE BEST) another liberal scare tactic used to brainwash people too stupid to read the facts. in the US than in other industrialized countries. But a much higher rate of people doing prayer circles and prayer vigils than in the countries which have single payer health care. AND A MUCH LARGER GROUP OF PEOPLE FREE TO SPEAK OUT AGAINST THE GOVERNMENT WITHOUT FEAR.... OR IN THIS CASE WITHOUT FACTS SJG
  • Uprightcitizen
    5 years ago
    Sorry to break this news to you IL but you will die of something and it's not my or anyone else's responsibility to make sure you live 2 more years.
  • IceyLoco
    5 years ago
    Uprightcitizen, if you pay into any sort of private insurance pool, it actually is your responsibility.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Comparing to Industrialized Nations, like we are. We spend much more money, and we get far worse results. And health care is a collective responsibility. SJG Michelle Alexander on The New Jim Crow, at Union Theological Seminary ( she wrote a very important book ) [view link] Paul Tillich Symposium: John Caputo Lecture [view link]
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion