tuscl

OT: Question for Millennials and whoever wants to comment

crazyjoe
Colorado
Tuesday, March 12, 2019 9:21 AM
Back story. One of my friends is a business associate who is a millennial around 30 years old. Within the past year he has really started to get his shit together. He has done some seo. He has created a website for his dads business and ranked it very well. It comes up second or third on google searches. It only took him a few months to do. He is also a blue collar guy so internet is not his forte. He has told me several times that he thinks the internet is outdated and obsolete but would not tell me why he says that until recently. His reasoning was from what he learned ranking that website. One of the things that will help get high rankings is to get good reviews and lots of them. He then pointed out several reviews of local businesses like restaurants that were obvious fakes. Probably done by the owner or owners friends. He claimed his reasoning is that it is so easy to do this that most reviews and google ratings are bullshit and it will catch up and something will take the internet's place that is better. What are your thoughts on this? Is the internet outdated and obsolete? What may replace it?

17 comments

• flagooner
    5 years ago
    It's not the internet. It's the search engine and its algorithm, most likely google.
  • flagooner
    5 years ago
    For him not to ealize that suggest possible Down Synsrome.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    5 years ago
    Internet: A global computer network providing information and communication facilities, consisting of interconnected networks using standardized communication protocol. To be replaced, in any true definition of replacement, then it needs to move off of computer networks to some other platform. So, we're looking at wetware and cybernetic interfaces. Sure, people are looking at that, but I don't see it happening even in the lifetime of your slightly older millennial. Or, the open networks using standardized communication protocols get replaced with closed, subscription based networks. Meaning, no more free-standing websites. But rather, enclosed online communities possibly existing via subscription fees for entry (and advertising). Think of it as competing massive social networks. The latter option is more likely in a shorter time frame. And already happening to an extent. Many businesses get more traffic to their social sites rather than to their websites. The fake review thing. Eventually, Google will identify sites that are sourcing the most fake reviews (like Yelp) and threaten to downgrade their impact on search unless they clean up their site. That's an algorithm tweak and some business pressure. Not something that will cause the internet to be replaced, per se.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    Most businesses that are dependent on constantly generating new customers use some form of SEOs, my own business which generally retains customers has a website new customer generation is limited although we do generally attract more new business year over year, but mainly it’s through networking and having a fairly large presence in our market.
  • Jascoi
    5 years ago
    wtf. you cannot trust the Internet now?
  • Warrenboy75
    5 years ago
    Good old fashion networking and referral for doing good work is how I keep moving forward. Not for anything and I realize this is becoming repetitive but not all that long ago I pointed out that what comes up on a search via the Internet can be skewed and can be used to control view content. Even used the work algorithm as I recall......and got told I was a conservative nut job for saying so......which all things considered is pretty funny. But to answer CJ' question the Internet will change although I doubt you see anything sweeping for about a decade. There are parts of the Internet that are outdated but the focus now is trying to get everyone equal access, not in how it is functioning or how content is manipulated. Keep in mind when we first started getting on line we did so mostly via a stationary desktop..........not so much these days although I find trying to reply to discussion board post from my phone causes me at times to just not participate or even to be accused of grammar errors when I do. 5G will need to become common place as well before we see the new Digital Highway....that is unless China or some competitor nations causes us to switch focus.
  • Warrior15
    5 years ago
    God, I hope something comes up to replace Google. They are really starting to figure out their power and are charging like crazy for their services. We used to do pay-per-click. But that got so outrageously expensive that we stopped.
  • JamesSD
    5 years ago
    SEO is kind of a dying model. There's a reason influencers on social media are raking in shitloads of cash. And Yelp lost a lot of credibility a while ago. There are some industries where SEO is still important. But these days it's basically just filling in a box in your code where the search engines look.
  • Warrior15
    5 years ago
    There is no such thing as organic search anymore. It's all about how much are you paying Google to show up on the first page.
  • flagooner
    5 years ago
    ^ +1 And preferably the top 2 or 3 after the ads
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Search Engines and Social Media have their serious problems. But The Internet itself still has vast untapped potential. SJG
  • CJKent (Banned)
    5 years ago
    “The real Internet is where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are the FBI.” The Internet, sometimes called simply "the Net," is a worldwide system of computer networks - a network of networks in which users at any one computer can, if they have permission, get information from any other computer (and sometimes talk directly to users at other computers). The original aim was to create a network that would allow users of a research computer at one university to "talk to" research computers at other universities The most widely used part of the Internet is the World Wide Web (often abbreviated "WWW" or called "the Web"). Its outstanding feature is hypertext, a method of instant cross-referencing. In most Web sites, certain words or phrases appear in text of a different color than the rest; often this text is also underlined. When you select one of these words or phrases, you will be transferred to the site or page that is relevant to this word or phrase. Sometimes there are buttons, images, or portions of images that are "clickable." If you move the pointer over a spot on a Web site and the pointer changes into a hand, this indicates that you can click and be transferred to another site. A web browser (Safari, IE, Chrome, Opera and Firefox)is the basic tool used in accessing the Internet, using a search engine (Google, Yahoo!) to simply search for keywords in a database (world wide web that is indexed the Internet Database) Like information in a County Library System Internet = Books in Bookcases inside Libraries Web = Index Cards in file cabinet. Search Engine = Librarians, help staff Site/webpage = Book, Pages You People = Read information and learn To answer your questions: What are your thoughts on this? He is talking about how information is misused to deceive people and hopefully make money. It happens all the time in a Capitalist System Is the internet outdated and obsolete? No the internet is not obsolete yet, the same way that printed word, books and paintings and pictures are not obsolete yet. What may replace it? Everyday Telepathy, Clairvoyance, Precognition and Extrasensory Perception (ESP)
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    I do think people are going to be coming up with ways of having greater privacy on the Internet. SJG
  • IceyLoco
    5 years ago
    Its not the internet that's the problem, its a lack of real net neutrality and private corporations destroying our right to privacy.We need regulations that protect us from this crap.
  • skibum609
    5 years ago
    Corporation, the cry of the stupid.
  • IceyLoco
    5 years ago
    yes corporations like google and facebook et al that have destroyed the notion of privacy online.
  • woodstock
    5 years ago
    I just continue to use AskJeeves.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion