tuscl

OT: Did you notice?

TheeOSU
FUCK IT!
I'm not a fan of Maroon 5, IMO they're just an average band that don't necessarily deserve their fame or even a recording contract in the first place.
But why did they get so much flak from so many self proclaimed social justice warriors and certain news outlets for accepting the offer to perform at the SB half time show, yet never a peep from anyone regarding the 2 black rappers appearing in the half time show or Gladys Knight singing the national anthem?

To me it just shows more of the hypocritical leftist propaganda that pervades our society, same as the drivel spewed by our skirt wearing resident justice warrior rumdummoron. They only cry when it suits their agenda but in fact they're as fake as a proverbial 3 dollar bill.

43 comments

• flagooner
    6 years ago
    I did notice. I think they refer to it as "privilege" nowadays. White males get unfairly targeted, and society works to keep them from succeeding.
  • nicespice
    6 years ago
    Bitching about white privilege pisses me off. Mostly, because of where I heard the source of most of that griping in my life:

1. An ex boyfriend who was in his late 20s and lived with his parents...and while he contributed to the electric bill, he had a pretty easy and cushy life. He always talked about the “superior” Asian culture, and had no problem emphasizing his race to show off his uniqueness, but IMO he was one of the most whitewashed Asians I knew. His greatest day to day concerns were playing video games, going to hookah lounges, going out to restaurants, and taking lots of photos for Facebook and Instagram.

2. A black couple. (Well, the female is only half, but ever since dating the guy she had suddenly found her sista culture) The guy who works part time and plays lots of video games. The female who gets promoted to manager position in her jobs, and then sleeps with guys who are technically her employees. (Pretty damn hard to keep climbing up in your position at work when you keep doing that—nothing to do with race. Ugh)

3. Another couple. To be fair, it may not be so much of the boyfriend. But just last night, I heard some bs story about how ICE tried to deport her grandma and she had to defend her. And of course every bad customer service experience in retail and restaurants is racial discrimination.@ (as opposed to...the kinds of places that attracts those kinds of employees aren’t going to be exactly top shelf workers and managers)

Does where you come from pose extra challenges when trying to get ahead from your life? Absolutely. But just because white people are less likely to deal with that, doesn’t mean they *all* have that privilege. And it doesn’t mean the barrier for racial minorities is so prohibitive that it can’t stop one from having a life of mooching off others and whining all the time.
  • RandomMember
    6 years ago
    You know @OSU, I don't find you the most annoying person on the board and I respect the fact that you don't use ignore. You're just not the brightest guy here, and half the time the concepts go over your head.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    I like Maroon 5, and this is the kinda shit that takes the fun out of sports for me, and it’s what I posted about yesterday. Teams don’t win because they’re of your political persuasions, they win because guys or gals pull together for a common goal.
  • Daddillac
    6 years ago
    Other than college football, where I am sure the OP is an absolute idiot, I find myself agreeing with him most of the time
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    ^ Well if you are so fucking enlightened why don't you explain why that double standard makes sense instead of just calling someone not bright because they don't understand why these "concepts" aren't consistently applied.

Fucking elitest America-hating dickhead.
  • Warrenboy75
    6 years ago
    As a side note when in high school when asked for a homework assignment what I wanted to be when I grew up I said a "PIP"....had to be the easiest, least talented job in the world in my mind......Gladys did the singing and had the talent.....saying "oh yeah" and moving your hands in unison seemed pretty damn easy to me.

With the exception of 1 or 2 songs I never thought much of Maroon 5 either and the minute someone throws out white privilege without knowing my background I pretty much tune them out as having any thing of substance to say except excuses for still living in mom's basement.
  • Daddillac
    6 years ago
    Are you referencing me?
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^ Pretty sure he was referring to Random, but with flagooner, who knows;)
  • Daddillac
    6 years ago
    I think so too, but wanted to check
  • Warrenboy75
    6 years ago
    I'd bet on RM as well.........
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    Damn, @Dad ninja'd me. Yes, I was referring to @Randumbdickhead

^ "but with flagooner, who knows"
    LOL
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    White privilege is out of control - look how much that poor guy LeBron James has had to suffer - poor guy was only given a 100-million-dollar shoe contract as a teenager b/f ever playing a professional game - imagine how much more he would have gotten if there wasn't white-privilege
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    For certain people, when blacks have success it's bc of their talent - when whites have success it's bc of their white privilege
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^ is there such a thing as patronizing privilege?
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    ^ +1
  • RandomMember
    6 years ago
    @Flag: "Well if you are so fucking enlightened why don't you explain why that double standard makes sense instead of just calling someone not bright because they don't understand why these "concepts" aren't consistently applied.

Fucking elitest America-hating dickhead.
    _______
    LOL, you spelled elitist wrong. You know @Flag, I didn't watch the SB, I've never made a single post about white privilege, and don't really give a shit about the whole topic. Yet I'm called out in the original post as being a part of the "hypocritical leftist propaganda." It's a just a troll and doesn't bother me. Yet it's a pattern with @OSU and I don't think he's the brightest guy here. He tries to make up for it by being belligerent.
  • Daddillac
    6 years ago
    I read an article 25 years ago in Atlanta Magazine that had an interesting point that I believe is true....

1. Black people for the most part have no idea how little racism there is in America today
    2. White people for the most part have no idea how much racism there is in America today

Unfortunately this was true 25 years ago and is true today... in my opinion
  • Clubber
    6 years ago
    There was a Super Bowl?
  • Warrenboy75
    6 years ago
    I'm not sure how SUPER it was but there was a football game.

Geez Daddillac I heard the same thing and actually agree as much as you do............SaS now.............( and yes I am kidding)

RM--I don't pretend to understand what other people feel or think if I can't walk a mile in their shoes to use an old line.

On the other hand please do not hold me responsible for the actions of people from over 150 years ago, especially when my ancestors were not even in this country yet.
  • Estafador
    6 years ago
    I believe there was a large scale test done where a black woman with a very detailed resume was denied 10,000 (yes, ten thousand) interviews for accounting related jobs and had 10 years experience. So she instead for the next 10,000 applications put in the optional category that she was white. Same application, just different race. Nearly all jobs requested her an interview. And were all similarly shocked when they saw a black woman show up. She did get a job but if that isn't an obvious example of white privilege.
  • Estafador
    6 years ago
    Mainly a response to @nicespice btw but others can respond if they like
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^ I’ve heard that before and I’m not claiming racism doesn’t exist, but that story was totally made up, and disproved a long time ago.
  • Daddillac
    6 years ago
    I too am not claiming racism does not exist however a third grader could disprove that story.... did she really send 10,000 resumes.... and did nearly all request an interview with the white woman.... did the black woman really go on 9,000 + interviews where the interviewers were shocked that she was black
  • yahtzee74
    6 years ago
    How much protesting do these players do on their own time?

How much do they invest into businesses in these poor areas?
  • Gilfly90
    6 years ago
    Yeesh, this site is good for strip club intel but much less so for good political discussions. I'll only add that I'm pretty liberal, believe that white privilege is real and powerful, and (like OP) found the reaction to Maroon 5's performance completely baffling. I guess I didn't get the memo that we're not supposed to like Maroon 5 anymore?

One thought on the *why* is just that the internet tends to take nuanced negative opinions and turn them into very loud, angry denouncements. So, sure, maybe Maroon 5's performance is a good opportunity to talk about white privilege, or maybe not. Who knows? But once that snowball starts building it can get out of control pretty quickly.
  • Huntsman
    6 years ago
    I wonder if Up with People is still around?
  • TheeOSU
    6 years ago
    "@OSU and I don't think he's the brightest guy here."

Unlike you rumdum I am aware of not being brightest guy here and I am comfortable knowing that and to top it off I wear pants, dipshit.
  • Icey
    6 years ago
    The 2 rappers were pretty much nobodys and they did receive flak. Big Boi promised a part of each of his concerts will be dedicated to social justice and police brutality.... Travis Scott has been criticized a lot. Even stars like Jay Z asked him not to do it. But this is a guy who knocked up Kylie Jenner so its not like he has any kind of ethics...he's just trying to milk his talentless career for as much as he can....and what better way than to be a modern day minstrel show for masta whitey.

But I guess you're too wrapped up in your white little world and your white privilege to worry about the non whites....
  • Icey
    6 years ago
    Glady Knight just wants the money and publicity. She went as far as to criticize Kaepernick like a good house negro. She didn't even join in when Travis Scott donated $500,000 to Dream Corps.... instead claiming that the national anthem is a historical song that has always united everyone in the country... guess she doesn't know much about history.
  • Icey
    6 years ago
    Maroon 5 are has beens...
  • whodey
    6 years ago
    How can Maroon 5 performing at half time be "white privilege" when several African American artists (Jay-Z, Rhianna, Cardi B, etc) were offered the gig and turned it down? I do believe racism exists and that a lot of people get turned down for jobs because of the color of their skin, but this wasn't one of those times.

I think Gladys Knight's response to being questioned about why she would sing the national anthem at the Super Bowl was fantastic.
    "I understand that Mr. Kaepernick is protesting two things, and they are police violence and injustice. It is unfortunate that our national anthem has been dragged into this debate when the distinctive senses of the national anthem and fighting for justice should each stand alone.

I am here today and on Sunday, (February 3), to give the anthem back its voice, to stand for that historic choice of words, the way it unites us when we hear it and to free it from the same prejudices and struggles I have fought long and hard for all my life, from walking back hallways, from marching with our social leaders, from using my voice for good – I have been in the forefront of this battle longer than most of those voicing their opinions to win the right to sing our country's anthem on a stage as large as the Super Bowl LIII.

I pray that this National Anthem will bring us all together in a way never before witnessed and we can move forward and untangle these truths which mean so much to all of us.”
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    @whodey white privledge is the equivalent of calling racism, there ain’t no way to defend yourself from it, best to ignore it, sure it exists, but not to the extent that these jerks complaining here would have you believe.
  • JamesSD
    6 years ago
    I can't get it up to care much about the half time show. I'm one of those white liberals who thinks Kap didn't have a contract because he really had one good year, didn't deserve a starter job and wouldn't sign for backup money. I'm against police brutality, favor police reform and think those on the other side of the thin blue line need to remember who they work for (the people), but never cared that much about the taking a knee thing either way.
  • Daddillac
    6 years ago
    Kapernick is just like AL Bundy.... sucked at football, sells shoes now
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    LOL.

Well they were both good in HS.
  • Hank Moody
    6 years ago
    The “National Anthem” that we always hear is only the first verse. Key’s song had 4 verses. The third verse talks about putting slaves in the grave. If I remember correctly, the reasoning was that the British were granting freedom to any American slaves who escaped and fought for the British. Makes sense why Key would consider those former slaves enemies, but Gladys’s statements look different against that backdrop. Third verse:

“And where is that band who so vauntingly swore,
    That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion
    A home and a Country should leave us no more?
    Their blood has wash'd out their foul footstep's pollution.
    No refuge could save the hireling and slave
    From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,
    And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
    O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.”
  • Icey
    6 years ago
    white privilege is a fact of life for white people. the fact that you can choose to be ignorant of how minorities live and are affected by what you do is another factor of your white privilege.
  • Daddillac
    6 years ago
    If you have to educate people about how many verses the song has and the nuances of each of them then I doubt the people were singing the song celebrating the verse they did not know existed until you brought it up
  • Hank Moody
    6 years ago
    Icey - who is “you” in your last post.

Dad - I’m not sure I follow but I think we agree.
  • Cowboy12
    6 years ago
    For once, I agree with someone from Ohio
  • TheeOSU
    6 years ago
    ^
    Hey, we have to give credit where it's due, rumdum's a peach too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku80H97r…

Lol
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    ^ Is peach a euphemism for dickhead?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion