tuscl

Do you feel the need for speed?

skibum609
Massachusetts
I love speed. The sheer scariness of knowing you could die or suffer a catastrophic injury is exhilarating. These are my favorite speed stories: Interstate 495 - my buddy buried the speedometer at 160 in his Cuda' 383 6-pack; 135 last night on the way home from strip clubbing on route 146 because I am an idiot; 140 driving a client's kawasaki ninja home from Court when he lost his license and his g/f had to drive my car because she was scared of the bike. Looked like an idiot in a suit and tie on interstate 95. 74 mph on skis; Killington; double dipper trail. Never been more scared of anything in my life. 0-120 mph/3.8 seconds/ top thrill dragster - Cedar Point Ohio.

40 comments

• rockstar666
    6 years ago
    Yeah I owned a vintage Lotus for many years. It would get smoked by any modern car off the line, but driving at the limit in the twisties, not a lot even today could keep up.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    166 mph on the Jones Beach causeway in a 1986 corvette
  • Warrior15
    6 years ago
    Richard Petty Driving Experience. You drive a modified NASCAR car around the track. I got up to 130MPH going around a 1.25 mile oval. I would love to do that again. I have heard you can get going faster on different racetracks.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    109 mph on a 1973 Norton Commando on the Seaford Oyster Bay Expressway at the northern end in the unopened section in 1975
  • ime
    6 years ago
    94 in a shitty 1993 Plymouth Acclaim on the Mass Pike.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    94 mph in a Donzi Cigarette Boat in the Atlantic ocean east of Haulover Cut in 1993.
  • Warrior15
    6 years ago
    ^^ That's nuts going that fast in a boat.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    If the three the Cigarette boat was the one that made me shit when the boat went airborne and landed hard cracking two boards on the transom
  • shadowcat
    6 years ago
    Doing top speed (55mph) in a '55 VW converted to a dune buggy on a dry lake bed on the Baja Peninsula.
  • Vantablack
    6 years ago
    Raced an Audi RS7 in my Corvette a while back! Hit 140 on the street! Left that Audi behind as if it was standing still :)

The rush of speed in my opinion is probably the most satisfying feeling there is aside from receiving a paycheck
  • Jascoi
    6 years ago
    i hit 40 mph on my bicycle going downhill. i thought i was gonna die.

another time i kicked a big truck out of gear on a long downhill stretch and the spedo needle started around the dial for a second lap. i was hoping none of those 18 tires blew. was easily way over 100 mph.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    Never been a huge thrill-seeker - the max I've driven is probably about 100 - riding shotgun maybe 120 but not recently.

w.r.t. cars my preference has usually been for luxury cars that drive as smooth as to not feel them.
  • RandomMember
    6 years ago

I don't think I've ever gone above 80, although I like cars that handle well, with tight suspension.

SB I was talking about with the 335i (twin turbo) sent me pictures of her car which is now totaled. She said a truck jackknifed her, but doesn't sound plausible. Giving a 20-yr-old a 600hp car is insane.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    @Warrior15 That boat was sick, with triple GM 427 cubic inch outboards, if my memory is correct those three engines were producing about 1200 horsepower, it belonged to a buddy of mine who owned a boat showroom on the Sunny Iles Causeway, the boat was 46 feet long and was able to make the run from Miami to Grand Bahama Island, in under two hours across the Gulf Stream. Scary as hell when, that boat was running in open water you needed to keep an eye out for rogue waves, as a 6-8 foot trough could have killed us.
  • MackTruck
    6 years ago
    Fastest I drove was 110 mph. I have a buddy that got pulled over doing 140mph once. Cop never gave him a ticket. Another buddy lived 3 to 3.5 hours away from me. He make it home on his sport bike in 1 hr 15 min 9n the middle of the night once. He slowed down to 160 make one curve... haha

Sounds like fun riding a bike in a suit
  • Dblednmike
    6 years ago
    I couldnt tell you exactly. Coming back from Pahrump Nevada there is a long straight stretch of road with a slight downhill incline. Nothing for miles on either side of the roadway but sand dunes. Opened it up in a new ‘94 Mustang GT and just floored the accelerator. When I eventually looked down at the speedometer because the car started to feel kind of froggy the needle was pegged off the dial past 140. I took my foot off the gas and let her slow gradually. That needle didn’t start moving again for about a minute and a half.
  • Vantablack
    6 years ago
    Ah yes a 1994 Mustang GT! I remember when 240 horsepower was considered a lot back in the day
  • Dblednmike
    6 years ago
    It was disappointing when they departed from the 5.0, but it had some get up and go. Absent a real muscle car, it was the best for a regular guy back then with my just starting out income...
  • Titus23
    6 years ago
    125 across a lake in New Hampshire on my snowmobile. Flipped a sled at 95 across a different lake. All I remember is whitebluewhitebluewhiteblue until I stopped rolling. Sled was fine, so I hopped on (gingerly) and rode off.
  • vajmon
    6 years ago
    Wasn't going too fast but...got head from a sugar baby while driving on the Mass pike once.
  • ATACdawg
    6 years ago
    So, a fast woman........ ;-)
  • OldGringo
    6 years ago
    Methamphetamine is a serious drug. If you feel the need for speed, you should join narcotics anonymous.
  • -me
    6 years ago
    Used to have a need for speed, less now though.
    Crashed an Acura CL doing a little north of 135... that hurt. Didn't walk right for like 8mo.
    Got a cbr up to 162 on my way to work just for the hell of it.
  • DeclineToState
    6 years ago
    In Montana and Wyoming, 120 several times - miles of highway with no cops in sight.
    In SoCal, 110+ several times. There's an immigration checkpoint northbound Highway 5 at north end of Camp Pendleton and no cops for approx 1.5 miles from the checkpoint to the first freeway exit in San Clemente and you can floor it with no worries (at least that's the way it was when I was younger and living in SoCal). Give it a try.
  • PaulDrake
    6 years ago
    174 mph in a McLaren 720S at COTA

However the stupidest I have ever been: A few racer buddies and I started a competition to see who could set the fastest speed in a pickup truck while towing their trailer and racecar. I held the record at 100mph for a while (using the 85mph toll road in Austin. Since then the record has been reset to 120mph by someone else, I have tried to beat it but my truck isn't powerful enough.
  • skibum609
    6 years ago
    One more dumb speed story. Back in the day it snowed 18" one weekend night and at the time that meant no snowplows on the road until break of dawn. We decided to road ski. attached the tow rope to the trailer hitch, put on old ski bits and a used up pair of skis and skied down the street at 60. We started going up on lawns etc and never thought about what if we missed the driveway going onto the lawn and hit a curb until we were done. Very few people landscaped back then, so it couldn't be done now.
  • OldGringo
    6 years ago
    Okay, not trying to be a dick here, but I'll keep it real. These speed stories are entertaining and fun to read, but you guys seriously need an intervention.

Skibum, from what I've read, you've worked hard your whole life, are successful, financially secure, happily married, travel, club, ski, play golf, have great friends, etc..

Why risk that for an adrenaline rush of driving your car 150 mph?

It's crazy. The speed that thrills is the speed that kills. That Indy driver who crashed this year is paralyzed and working his ass off every day, just hoping he may walk again someday. Maybe he will and maybe he won't.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox. I just think it's not worth risking everything for one moment of adrenaline.

Peace.
  • rockstar666
    6 years ago
    Fastest I ever drove was 135 MPH in a V12 Jaguar many years ago, and the car had more to offer had I had the room. I was more afraid of cops than the speed... Today I wouldn't do that on a public road.
  • shailynn
    6 years ago
    Over the years I’ve owned several high horsepower SUVs but unfortunately most were governed. I used to be in the car business so I’ve probably driven 50+ cars over 100. Let’s see, some highlights:

Cadillac Fleetwood - 110 (digital dash blinks when you hit 100)

Infiniti FX45 SUV - 137 (governed)

Toyota Supra Turbo - 158

Ford GT - 180 (rider not driver)

Mercedes G55 (big box SUV) 120

And my most insane - a jet ski that went 75. That was on a glass like lake. Had I hit a wave at 75 I probably still wouldn’t have landed yet.
  • Warrenboy75
    6 years ago
    I ski--downhill
    I've been skydving
    Owned a "rice burner" in my younger days which I would do off road tracks at high speeds
    Cedar Point, Kings Island. Dorney Park so yes to the coaster--Demon Drop a few years ago was probably the most impacting for a rush.
    To the floor in an Bonneville SSEi and a Jag XJ12. ( about 148 mph)
  • skibum609
    6 years ago
    Where do you ski Warren? Wife and I are still very avid skiers with season passes etc.
  • Warrenboy75
    6 years ago
    Killington in Vermont is probably the closest to you from your tag but ( and it has been a few years most of my times on the slopes are here https://www.beaverrun.com/)
  • Vantablack
    6 years ago
    @DdbldMike

The best bang for your buck back then was the LS1 Camaro/Firebird from 1998-2002! And the 5.0 GT has been back since 2011 with a new DOHC engine design
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    Haven’t skied in over thirty years, my old bones hate cold weather, but when I was younger I used to very often stay at the playboy club and ski great gorg, even hit Killington once or twice, it was fun. Lately I’ve gotten into stand up paddle boarding lately it’s a great way to enjoy the outdoors, I don’t drive very fast any more, as the traffic has gotten unpredictable, I do remember the parachute jump at Coney Island was great fun, but as crazy as I was in my younger days I never saw a good reason to jump out of a perfectly good airplane.
    For my work I used to rappel on high rise buildings to do exterior work, but nowadays I leave that for my younger employees.
  • skibum609
    6 years ago
    We're longtime Killington pass holders Warren, who switched to the Ikon pass this year because Killington is putting in a new lift on the south ridge and replacing the snowden quad with a 6-pack bubble lift; thereby ruining my 2 secret stash places for busy days. We can ski 5 days there this season on our pass to scope it out. Breckenridge is cool but I think our pass is only good at Copper and Winter park for our second trip out west next season. GRINGO - you're correct. I know I shouldn't do stupid things, but at almost 61 and trying to change for years I have given up making sense of why I feel the need to scare myself half to death. Antone who knows me knows I am very claustrophobic and that my irrational fear in life is falling into and suffocating to death in a tree well while skiing. Despite that and despite a close call 3 years ago, I still risk it by skiing deep powder in the trees alone.
  • bubba267
    6 years ago
    Sorry to interrupt the skiing discussion, but 140mph on ST1100 motorcycle. It had more to give but I thought it was sufficient tightness in my sphincter at that speed.
  • TheeOSU
    6 years ago
    I always have had a taste for going fast and I have many times on land sea and air although not as fast as some of the previous posters.
  • Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    I’m a slowpoke. However, I enjoy fast and filthy women.

My lack of speed has never stopped me from doing horribly stupid things.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    How come none of the ladies have commented on this thread?
  • Dominic77
    6 years ago
    Back in the late '90s I got a first generation turbo Eclipse (DSM) up to 140 mph sustained on a long stretch of empty I-71N heading into Cleveland. I still have my early 5 liter fox body mustang. I've never driven it that fast nor had the desire to. Fastest I've been in the last 15 years is maybe 95 mph, including in a Jeep Wrangler hard top.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion