tuscl

OT: PC-AT Numeric Key Pad, who used it, and for what? Like it?

san_jose_guy
money was invented for handing to women, but buying dances is a chump's game
Thursday, October 11, 2018 2:43 PM
OT: PC-AT Numeric Key Pad [view link] I liked this key pad ever since I first saw it. But how many people use it? I have been trying to learn to use it well, with my right hand. The '0' key, trying to use my thumb, is not that easy to use. And then, it all really depends upon how many other keys, not in the key pad, you need to use? Do it all with your right hand? Mostly the keys right next to the key pad? If you wrote a special purpose program, you could make it so it does everything with the key pad and those right next to it. The PC-AT key pad is like an old 10-key adding machine. Let it be known, there was a time in college where I was employed diagnosing and repairing such office machines, the electronic version of a 10-key adding machine, and with a paper printer. Notice also that this 10-key pad is totally different from a touch tone telephone, or from modern cell phones [view link] [view link] SJG [Talk Gnosis] An Introduction to Martinism [view link] In his new book “How Fascism Works: The Politics of Us and Them,” Yale professor Jason Stanley warns about the dangers of normalizing fascist politics, writing, “What normalization does is transform the morally extraordinary into the ordinary. It makes us able to tolerate what was once intolerable by making it seem as if this is the way things have always been.” [view link] [view link] How fascism works : the politics of us and them / Jason Stanley (2018), in libraries now! ( Libertarianism / Social Darwinism is always the propaganda machine for Fascism )

120 comments

• chessmaster
    6 years ago
    Nobody cares. Quit spamming the board dickhead.
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    Chessmaster, do you stick your fingers into light sockets? Everyone on this board uses computers, or at least mobile devices. These PC-AT numeric keypads have been around now since the mid 80's, long before the mobile web devices. I believe that some people must use them, or at least they've considered it if they have had to enter a long list of numbers. [view link] SJG Killing Me Softly [view link] [view link]
  • shailynn
    6 years ago
    I use mine everyday when I’m totalling up how much bandwidth you waste each day which in turn causes kids to starve in Pakistan.
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    OT: Bio-Magnetic SensorsBasic introduction to bioelectromagnetics (2009 CRC Press) Basic introduction to bioelectromagnetics / Carl H. Durney, Douglas A. Christensen (2000 CRC Press) [view link] I'm going to read both the above books, CRC Press, and starting with the older. zef8mich replied. Try to reply to him. Yes, as I know superconductivity has always depended upon liquid He, boiling point of 4 deg Kelvin. Very expensive. But like this is how the big accelerator at CERN in Geneva works. And then there was a plan to build one like it in Texas. $20 billion way back then. But it got cancelled. One of the justifications is that they want to be using the less costly LN2 temp superconductivity, so called high temperature super conductivity. [view link] But I don't think anyone really knows how this works. SLAC is working on it. Right here: [view link] But these ideas that the Japanese components maker is talking about are room temperature magnetic. Using ferrite. [view link] They say that Japanese invented ferrite. Anyway, it has been common in electronics, as I know, back into the 1920's, RF transformers and for the tunned IF transformers in radio receivers. SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    Well at the above wikipedia it says that ferrite was developed in Japan in 1930, and that that led to the formation of TDK. Well, a proud history, as ferrite has been extremely important in radio frequency electronics ever since. SJG
  • orionsmith
    6 years ago
    I used the numeric keypad a lot. No big deal to me. If you work with spreadsheets on a computer or lots of numbers, it's common to use the right side of the keyboard.
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    Are you entering material which is on paper? Where do you place the paper realative to the keyboard, like underneath it, or closer to you? How many other keys are you needing to use and does this necessitate using your left hand? Good to hear that someone finds it useful. Thanks, SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    So old mechanical adding machines had to have all 10 digits per place in the number. [view link] Then they figured out how to make them work with just 10 keys [view link] Then they figured out how to make them electronic. [view link] So truth to tell, I was once employed repairing such. I wanted a home town summer job. But how does one get that, if there is not some channel whereby it is being handed to you? So knowing nothing I looked in the newspaper and wrote some things down. Finally though I went to an employment agency. This was real stupid because they would charge the employer, and they would also charge me. And if it is just for the summer, it is not worth it. But I went anyway, filled out their application. Soon they sent me out to a first client. It went splendidly. They had some kind of a qualifying exam and they were totally blown away by how well I had done. Never before had they seen that. This was a transnational corporation. And the regional manager also had his office there. He might have written the test. He was totally blown away. So he took over and quickly rigged it so I would for one month be on the payroll of one of their customers, who would be given compensatory credit, cutting out the employment agency. So I started the next day. This was lucky for me that it all worked out so well. And it turned out that I was getting much more money than what my classmates tended to be getting for summer jobs. I wanted it, well I think just because other people were doing it. Obviously I did not have any real plans, did not know what I was doing. So the next day and I was repairing 10 key electronic printing calculators. They liked me and my exam so much that they were showing it all around in this transnational corporation. They wanted to make me the lead person for their new product, a word processing typewriter. After a few months though they backed off, they said that it was not right to try and lure me out of college. They said that having me made things good for them, as they could then screen lots of people for the position. No one ever equaled what I did on their exam. All and all a good learning experience. So @orionsmith, when I first saw that keypad, on a Compaq PC-AT clone, it at once reminded me of the 10 key printing calculators. So as I know, people would keep biz records in some kind of a ledger, and then use such a machine to add up the totals. Maybe attach the paper tape to the ledger book. You talk about using a spreadsheet. Well with that I imagine that you are not only entering numbers, which I assume to be money, but also entering transaction descriptions, alpha numeric. And then dates? So as I know, not many people use that right side key pad. But it could be useful. But then, how much other use do you need to made of the qwerty part. And then if it is just a couple of numbers, still use those over the qwerty part? Use the right hand key pad for dates too? Use the "/"? For me, computers on desks have always been a horrible compromise at best. Okay if it is just the computer. But add any book or piece of paper and it gets real hard. Could have the keyboard on a slide out shelf below. Could support the monitor on a springs and friction thing, so it is totally off of the table. Or like this, nothing under the monitor until the very back of the table surface. [view link] And then the mouse takes up problematic space too. Of course more and more, the data is just always already in the computer. Not clear how it originally gets there. But less use of anything on paper. I think that right side keypad is great. But maybe need some other keys added to it or something, or software to let you make special use of '/*+-". Maybe need to reshape it a big for the thumb on the '0'. Maybe a backspace or a tab. And any interface which uses the mouse of course really slows people down. I have know people who do not even like the arrow keys, Wanting instead to use a, s, z, w with the control key. It goes faster. They don't like function keys either. That would be my next issue too. On AT keyboards there are 12 such function keys. I think they are underutilized, ever since the mouse took over. Mostly it just takes people being willing to learn to use the right side numberic key pad. Thanks SJG Baker Gurvitz Army - Memory Lane [view link] Peter Kuznick: Three False Myths Americans Believe (about WWII) [view link] Oliver Stones Untold History of the United States Prequel A [view link] The Concorde [view link]
  • orionsmith
    6 years ago
    I'm right handed. I usually use my right hand when typing numbers. Not that hardly anyone cares about keyboard info on a strip club site.
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    ^^^^^^ You must be assuming that the only things TUSCL members care about are Politics, News, Sexist Jokes, Sports, Financial Speculations, and Cumming In Their Pants. Just like you, TUSCL members are a diverse lot with varied areas of interest and knowledge. Some older threads: OT: Physics Texts [view link] Programable Hand Held Calculators [view link] OT: Programmable Logic Devices [view link] Signals and systems in electrical engineering [by] William A. Lynch [and] John G. Truxal (1962) Mathematical methods in electrical engineering (1951) Mathematics applied to electrical engineering (1958) Transforms for engineers : a guide to signal processing / K.G. Beauchamp. (1986) Electronic circuits, signals, and systems / Samuel J. Mason [and] Henry J. Zimmermann (1960) This is a good book, but old: Power control with solid state devices / Irving M. Gottlieb. (1985) here: Power electronics : circuits, devices, and applications / Muhammad H. Rashid. (1993) Solar cells and energy materials / Takeo Oku (2017) Power electronics : devices, circuits and industrial applications / V.R. Moorthi. (2005) Power electronics and motor drive systems / Stefanos N. Manias (2017) Power electronic converters and systems : frontiers and applications / edited by Andrzej M. Trzynadlowski (2015) Power electronic systems : walsh analysis with MATLAB / Anish Deb, Suchismita Ghosh (2014) Designing control loops for linear and switching power supplies : a tutorial guide / Christophe Basso. (2012 Artech House ) SJG Everything for everyone : the radical tradition that is shaping the next economy / Nathan Schneider. (2018) Clamato, great tomato juice for drinking straight. [view link] Motts LLP Plano TX [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    Cray [view link] Cray XC [view link] Cray CS ( clusters ) [view link] Cray XC-50 The Cray® XC50™ supercomputer is our fastest system, with peak system performance of 500 PF and 1 PF in a single cabinet. It supports the latest CPU and GPU processors — Cavium ThunderX2® processors, NVIDIA® Tesla® P100 PCIe GPUs and Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors — coupled with the Aries™ network and Cray’s HPC-optimized software stack including the Cray Linux® Environment and Cray Programing Environment. Cray XC-50, can support various processors, like Intel Xeon. XC hardware [view link] XC series, 8 pages [view link] Cray programming env. 6 pages. Mentions Fortran and C/C++, and in that order! [view link] Talks about OpenMP and MPI !!! ANSI/ISO Fortran 2008 ANSI/ISO TS 29113 for further interoperability of Fortran with C Talks about C for 64 bit ^^^^ most interesting document. But no mention of floating point beyond 64 bit. Intel Xeon, high power stuff. But no mention of 128 bit floating point. [view link] Intel Xeon Scalable ( should be their highest power stuff ) [view link] ^^^^ some of these processors priced at over $10k 60 pages, registers data sheet [view link] ^^^^^ can't find anything talking about going beyond 64 bits. ^^^^^ Lots of talk about registers for power and thermal management, good. AMD Opteron [view link] ^^^^^^^^^ used in some of the highest power supercomputers in the world. But no talk about floating point over 64 bits. SJG Interesting Old Thread Favorite Strip Clubs of San_Jose_Guy? [view link] TJ Street [view link] [view link] [view link] [view link] Nirvana - Aneurysm (Live at Reading 1992) [view link] Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit (Live at Reading 1992) w/ surprise into [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    So still not finding the answers I want. AIK: 1. Seymour Cray introduced 80 bits, on the 16bit Cray 2. People had asked for it, and they loved it. 2. IBM PC left an undocumented open slot for the Intel 8087, a kind of a gambit on the part of both parties. 3. PC-AT used 80286 and had documented slot for 80287. Still 16 bit machines with 80 bit floating point. 4. 80386 introduced a 32 bit mode, called IA-32, but MS-DOS could not use this. Not used until Windows 3. But 80387 was available and often used. 5. 80486 has come troubles getting going, floating point troubles. But I think this was where they made the 80 bit floating point processor built in. 6. Pentium, the 80586, but Intel announced that that would be the last of the line. 7. Pentium III introduces 64 bit architecture IA-64. 8. Today they talk about 7th Generation, 8th Generation, 9th Generation, I guess the way they are extending beyond the 586 5th generation. But what is the status of floating point processing? And is it the same on all their processors? ARM seems to use 64 bit. To me, this far out, 64 bit is not adequate. Needs to be 80 bits or more. SJG Mainstreet [view link] Mary Jane's Last Dance - Tom Petty [view link] Golden Earing ~ Radar Love (extended) 1973 [view link] TJ Street [view link] [view link] [view link] [view link] [view link] [view link] [view link] [view link] [view link] [view link] [view link] Attributed to Denis Diderot, "Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    So can I find more info about the status of Intel's processors and their floating point offering? Here they talk about a floating point bug in 1994 Pentiums [view link] Here it talks about their 7th Gen, as would be standard in the Dell I was looking at as an example. [view link] [view link] [view link] ^^^^^ Running from 4.5 Watts to 91 Watts. 14nm technology. Mostly talking about graphics and media. Yes, the Core version and the much higher powered Xeon version. Actually tables and tables of very complex info. PC's are getting closer and closer to system on a chip. But never is even a word said about floating-point. Here is something AVX ( Advanced Vector Extensions ) improves floating-point and can do 256 bit Integer operations. [view link] page 5 of 14, and on these 7th Generation, not the newest but kind of the base price offering. A lot of support for graphics and data transfer, and security, and for multi-threading. Sounds like BIOS is in onboard flash, and there are all sorts of protections. ( all gotten very complex ) Talk about such stuff here, mostly about OpenMP, Vectorizing, and Paralleling. [view link] Microsoft Document talks about AVX [view link] "Intel AVX is a new 256-bit SIMD FP vector extension of Intel Architecture. It accelerates the trend towards using SIMD technology for floating point computations in general-purpose scientific calculations such as financial derivative pricing. Intel AVX is a comprehensive ISA extension of the Intel 64 Architecture." "Single instruction, multiple data (SIMD), is a class of parallel computers in Flynn's taxonomy. It describes computers with multiple processing elements that perform the same operation on multiple data points simultaneously." "In computing, Streaming SIMD Extensions (SSE) is an SIMD instruction set extension to the x86 architecture, designed by Intel and introduced in 1999 in their Pentium III series processors as a reply to AMD's 3DNow!. SSE contains 70 new instructions, most of which work on single precision floating point data." [view link] Talking about Intel having built in instructions for 128 bit floating-point going back some time. (That would be really cool! but better to run out outboard processor which is not burdened by Windows and graphics stuff?) Intel Intrinsic Guide [view link] Consistency of Floating-Point Results using the Intel® Compiler [view link] Compiler options let you control the tradeoffs between accuracy, reproducibility and performance. Use /fp:precise /fp:source (Windows*) or -fp-model precise -fp-model source (Linux* or macOS*) here is a 22 page pdf which should explain more: [view link] The Intel® Compiler implements a model for floating-point semantics based on the one introduced by Microsoft. 1 A compiler switch (/fp: for Windows*, -fp-model for Linux* or macOS*) lets you choose the floating-point semantics at a coarse granularity. Seem to have both C/C++ and Fortran. ANSI standards about how much compiler can do in its optimizations are different for those two. (This sounds like very high powered shit, if I do say so. And so much for Fortran being dead.) Talks about weather research and forecasting, and MPI ( message passing interface ) [view link] need to look up some of the refs at the end of this, about Intel's two compilers, maybe try to find some books too. SJG Two books written about the same time which seem to span the chasm between religious and occult kabbalah Kabbalah : three thousand years of mystic tradition / Kenneth Hanson (1998) Heavenly powers : unraveling the secret history of the Kabbalah / Neil Asher Silberman (1998) Why I’m Proud To Be A Middle-Aged Stripper [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    And so I want to try and collect some of my book references: Signals and systems in electrical engineering [by] William A. Lynch [and] John G. Truxal (1962) Mathematical methods in electrical engineering (1951) Mathematics applied to electrical engineering (1958) Transforms for engineers : a guide to signal processing / K.G. Beauchamp. (1986) Electronic circuits, signals, and systems / Samuel J. Mason [and] Henry J. Zimmermann (1960) This is a good book, but old: Power control with solid state devices / Irving M. Gottlieb. (1985) here: Power electronics : circuits, devices, and applications / Muhammad H. Rashid. (1993) Solar cells and energy materials / Takeo Oku (2017) Power electronics : devices, circuits and industrial applications / V.R. Moorthi. (2005) Power electronics and motor drive systems / Stefanos N. Manias (2017) Power electronic converters and systems : frontiers and applications / edited by Andrzej M. Trzynadlowski (2015) Power electronic systems : walsh analysis with MATLAB / Anish Deb, Suchismita Ghosh (2014) Designing control loops for linear and switching power supplies : a tutorial guide / Christophe Basso. (2012 Artech House ) Everything for everyone : the radical tradition that is shaping the next economy / Nathan Schneider. (2018) Tunnel FETS Fundamentals of tunnel field-effect transistors / Sneh Saurabh, Mamidala Jagadesh Kumar (2017) Deep Sub Micron A layout and design methodology for deep sub-micron applications using networks of PLAs (Memorandum) (1998) Compact models for integrated circuit design : conventional transistors and beyond / Samar K. Saha.(2016) Wideband cmos receivers (2015) Beginning FPGA: Programming Metal [electronic resource] : Your brain on hardware / by Aiken Pang, Peter Membrey. (2017) Digital design and implementation with field programmable devices / Zainalabedin Navabi (2005) Digital design using field programmable gate arrays / Pak K. Chan, Samiha Mourad (1994) Digital systems design with programmable logic / Martin Bolton (1990) The personal computer workstation for programmable logic design : a case study of the Data I/O Personal Silicon Foundry / by David L. Mallery ( 1988 ) no copies available. ARM system-on-chip architecture / Steve Furber (2000) (YES available) Introduction to parallel computing / Zbigniew J. Czech, Silesia University of Technology (2016)' Fundamentals of parallel multicore architecture / Yan Solihin (2016) Programming models for parallel computing / edited by Pavan Balaji. (2015) Learning MCollective : parallel server management in Puppet and Chef / Jo Rhett (2014) Programming massively parallel processors : a hands-on approach / David B. Kirk and Wen-mei W. Hwu. (2013) Linear algebra tools for data mining / Dan A. Simovici (2012) Process algebra : equational theories of communicating processes / J.C.M. Baeten, T. Basten, M.A. Raniers. (2010) Nonvolatile semiconductor memory technology : a comprehensive guide to understanding and to using NVSM devices / edited by William D. Brown, Joe E. Brewer. [ 1998 ] Lithium process chemistry : resources, extraction, batteries, and recycling / edited by Alexandre Chagnes, Jolanta Światowska. (2015) The powerhouse : inside the invention of a battery to save the world / Steve LeVine. (2015) The TAB battery book : an in-depth guide to construction, design, and use / Michael Root (2011) Power electronics : circuits, devices, and applications / Muhammad H. Rashid. (1993) ********************************* So I am planning on letting some threads die off and close, unless someone else has something to add. For myself, I have run out of things to say. The Levels of PLdom [view link] Elliot Rodger, Isla Vista Shooter 2014 [view link] Car Keys and Wallet Dating [view link] ... tried to distance himself from Nazi policies and was never held accountable [view link] Yippie, Dow drops 831 points! [view link] Sex In The Home Of Your Parents? [view link] So What Do Women Like To Read? [view link] ***************************************** So then the current open threads: Vocels (Voluntary Celibates) [view link] Bible and related materials [view link] OT: Anglo-American Philosophy from Hobbes forward [view link] OT: Assembler, C/C++, Embedded Systems, Machine Architectures, Development Systems, JTAG, Rust [view link] American's Will Not Be Free Until The Last Preacher Has Been Strangled To Death By The Entrails Of the Last Libertarian. [view link] The Ultimate Thread: SJG's Soap Box [view link] JavaScript & jQuery [view link] OT: Mathematics [view link] R Programming Language [view link] OT: PC-AT Numeric Key Pad, who used it, and for what? Like it? [view link] OT: Book Publishing Industry [view link] SJG Nirvana - Come As You Are [view link] This song in my head last night. It must be in the Key of D. Most everyone can hear relative pitch. But very few can hear absolute pitch. The reason every key sounds different is because the percussion tuning is not changed. Musicians deny that percussion is tuned to any specific pitch, saying that rather it is just tuned until it sounds right. But that is silly, because that is exactly how a violin is played, by making it sound right. Tympani tunes with a crank handle, and it has a gauge right on it. So the kick drum is tuned to A of the 16ft octave, the same as the second to lowest string of a four string bass, 55 hz. All the drums are tuned. These kind of songs are always in D. I think it has something to do with that A note, the dominant. So to really know you almost have to play along with it. The D scale has F and C sharped. But it can be done with accidentals too. And some music revolves around other notes than the tonic. Some is Mixolyidian and so it revolves around the dominant and has the 7th ( C# ) flatted. Lots of ways. In the end it is just listening to it and trying to play along which will resolve this. This ends on the D major triad and the chorus versus end on the D major triad. Usually that is the final determinant of what key it is in. Alternate guitar tuning is being used, one suggestive of D. [view link] [view link] [view link] How Life Should Be: [view link] [view link] [view link] [view link] [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    Using the numeric keypad more and more myself now. It just takes a little bit of discipline. Calc, Apache OpenOffice Suite, anyone use this, or other stuff from their suite? [view link] SJG JS69 Front Room Makeout Session [view link] [view link] [view link] [view link] [view link] [view link] Joe Bonamassa - "Midnight Blues" - Beacon Theatre - Live From New York [view link] Beth Hart and Joe Bonamassa- I'd Rather Go Blind [view link] Joe Bonamassa - "Sloe Gin" - Muddy Wolf at Red Rocks [view link] TJ Street [view link] [view link] [view link] [view link] God in the 21st Century: Bishop John Shelby Spong [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    Will have in soon within days: Some assembly required : assembly language programming with the AVR microcontroller / Timothy S. Margush (2012 CRC Press) And so what is AVR? [view link] Then will also be requesting: ARM system-on-chip architecture / Steve Furber (2000) (YES available) So, what is ARM? [view link] SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    In hand now: Some assembly required : assembly language programming with the AVR microcontroller / Timothy S. Margush (2012 CRC Press) CRC Press books are always good! Will soon be getting: AI and expert systems : a comprehensive guide, C language / Robert I. Levine, Diane E. Drang, Barry Edelson. (1990 ) Levine believes that Lisp and Prolog are hindrances to use of AI techniques. [view link] I read much of this when it was first published. Really opened my eyes. SJG Joe Bonamassa - "Sloe Gin" - Muddy Wolf at Red Rocks [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    Some assembly required : assembly language programming with the AVR microcontroller / Timothy S. Margush (2012 CRC Press) CRC Press books are always good! Book is very well written, explains lots of important things which other books would leave out. So did AVR start with Atmel? And ARM too? AVR has 32x 8 bit registers. Never heard of anything like that. Good for mutitasking, but I don't think compilers would be able to put those 32x registers to good use. Need to do that yourself in assembler. AVR uses this Harvard Architecture with separate memory and busses for data and code. Should be able to use pipe lining to go faster. [view link] So it has an SRAM space, which is the data and stack segment. Then it has a Flash memory, which is the code segment. Then it has an EEPROM section which is the extra segment. They say the Flash can take 10,000 write cycles, where as the EEPROM can take 100,000. Don't know what technology is used in the EEPROM, or how much different it really is from the code. AVR Studio is supposedly the software for developing. [view link] free download? seems to talk about C/C++. Maybe assembler is just understood? Yes, also assembler. Looks like they have made it easier to get started. [view link] Yes, MicroChip looks to be doing well. Corporate Headquarters Microchip Technology Inc. 2355 West Chandler Blvd. Chandler, Arizona, USA 85224-6199 (480) 792-7200 Development Tools [view link] Book talks about STK-500 development kit Development Boards [view link] 8-bt boards. You could use some of these for an outboard controller or signal processor. But lots of higher powered boards and dev system board will be priced high. [view link] So book shows how to explicitly write data, words or bytes. Could be anything, even op codes. Yes, STK-500, over priced but affordable at $79 [view link] on reels, 5k items min, less than .70 Getting started in 8bits [view link] download the development tools [view link] and here it is, the Xplained Demo Board [view link] This little board, only $8.88 [view link] reliable sensor interfaces [view link] Fun Stuff!! To Be Continued SJG Fascism Unleashed In America [view link] TJ Street [view link] [view link] [view link] [view link] Jennifer Lopez [view link] JohnSmith69 has a front room makeout session with an 18yo hottie. Only problem is that he is so cranky that he describes it all in negative terms and blames it on the girl. [view link]
  • TrollWarnBot
    6 years ago
    WARNING - The following accounts are considered to be forum trolls and may not be trustworthy: san_jose_guy - commonly referred to as SJG this forum member is usually mocked or ignored, his comments should NOT be taken in any way as legitimate
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    So continuing with: Some assembly required : assembly language programming with the AVR microcontroller / Timothy S. Margush (2012 CRC Press) CRC Press books are always good! So this board, $79, has lots of sockets, for many of their various products. Not sure how you get an AVR into it, 4 sided square surface mount package. [view link] SO getting to serial communicaitons. Can be synchronous or asynchronous. That former requires sending the clock. Usually not done this way. With with async, you can send one way data with just one signal wire and ground. Two way data takes ground and two signal wires. So this always confuses people, DTE (data terminal equipment) DCE (data commuications equipment) DCE was typically a modem and the DTE was a terminal. Used to be 25 pin. With IBM PC changed to 9 pin. People call this DB-9. But proper terminology is DE-9 So DTE has TD(transmit data) on pin 2, and RD(receive data) on pin 3, Ground is pin 5 DCE reverses 2 and 3. Null modem cable or adapter reverses 2 and 3 From memory if you use the DB-25 way, there are three pairs which need to be reversed. RS-232 still needs plus and minus 12 volts. The STK-500 has a level shift chip to do this. Serial data frame can have a parity bit and 1 or more stop bits. This book uses ATMEGA16A and an ATMEGA128A1 Can do Polled I/O or Interrupt Driven I/O AVR chips come with boot loader in the flash. You can add constants / config to EEPROM, 8.5 mS for each right. ( Still don't know how this works. I would want to run almost entirely out of the SRAM, not Flash or EEPROM. SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    So finishing up with: Some assembly required : assembly language programming with the AVR microcontroller / Timothy S. Margush (2012 CRC Press) CRC Press books are always good! CRC part of Taylor Francis [view link] So I am going to try and capture all I want from the entire book, as it is complex and some does need this additional treatment. so they talk about the Atmel ATmega16 microcontroller, shown in the traditional microprocessor through the hole package of a wide 40 pin DIP. THey show their STK-500 Development Kit. It actually has a bunch of sockets, including the standard narrow DIP. These can take their PIC chips. So lots of stuff can go into this $79 board, though presumably only one at a time. Then they also talk about a much more powerful AVR, though still 8 bits. And it is surface mount and you use it on the AVR XPLAIN demo board. It has no sockets, though it has some other chips to make it all work. This board has USB and a special chip for that. Whereas the earlier board seems only to be RS-232. Both have momentary contact buttons and LEDs. To explain these they show you a Digital PDP8/E, to get across the idea of switches and lights. [view link] I remember using such, the switches and the magnetic memory cores. Says these AVR processors run code from the Flash Memory. Not sure if this is always true. I would want to run most of it from the Static Ram most of the time. So we have the Stack, as we have function calls. But we have dynamic memory allocation, and so we also have the Heap. So want to revisit this complex but critical topic of Serial Data Communications. DTE ( Data Terminal Equipment ) DCE ( Data Communications Equipment ) So a modem would be DCE, and then the terminal which connects to it is DTE. So a Null Modem cable or adapter reverses some connections. So it used to be 25 pin, and you had to reverse 3 different pairs. Could be a much more complex handshaking set up. But with PC's and the PC-AT they went to 9 pins, commonly called DB-9, but more properly called DE-9. So they call it the PC Signal Set, but more properly it is EIA/TIA-574 [view link] [view link] So with DTE, pin 2 is transmit data, pin 3 is receive data. Pin 5 is ground. With DCE, pins 2 and 3 are reversed, pin 5 stays the same. So one way communications only needs ground and one other wire. Need ground and two other wires for 2 way communications. So RS-232 needs both plus and minus 12 volts. The demo boards have a level shift chip to accommodate this. So they call mark, usually draw high, as -12 volts. When the signal drops to +12 volts, the call this Space, and that first drop is Start, and this is when the PLL starts to lock up. So then data bits can be between 4 and 9, and then one or more stop bits. Usually using asynchronous, but if you want to use synchronous, you need to also send the clock. One will be master, one will be slave. So now we are going to talk about Interrupts. There is a non-maskable interrupt. But on these AVR's, that is the same as Reset, and it can trigger on either edge change! You can use interrupts to eliminate switch bounce. Sieve of Eratosthenes [view link] Way to find all the prime numbers, up to a limit. Has integer arithmetic, 32 bits. For floating point, only hardware support for single precision, 32 bits. Talks about programming in C, and combining with Assembler. Their C does not have to link after, often. Talks about AVR Studio 4 Here is AVR Studio 7 [view link] Xplained boards [view link] This is their high power pro board [view link] $38.00 pro board SJG Camel Toe [view link] [view link] Soraya Chemaly on The Open Mind: Channeling Anger Toward Effective Accountability
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    So I rather like the development / demo boards, compared to the things sold to be like Raspberry PI single board computers with external flash memory, + keyboard + display. Microchip [view link] 32 bit MCU [view link] " MPLAB X Integrated Development Environment (IDE) is for developing and debugging MIPS-based PIC32 MCU applications, in addition to Microchip's 8- and 16-bit PIC® microcontrollers. It is based on the open-source NetBeans IDE from Oracle and runs under Windows®, Mac OS® and Linux®, and connects seamlessly to a range of debuggers, programmers and development kits." Atmel Studio 7 is the Integrated Development Platform (IDP) for developing and debugging AVR® and Arm®-based SAM MCU applications. Atmel Studio 7 provides you with a seamless easy-to-use environment to develop and debug applications written in C/C++ or assembly code. It connects seamlessly to a range of debuggers, programmers and development kits. For example SAMV7 Cortex M7, 300 Mhz 32 bit chips [view link] tools [view link] xplained [view link] SAM V71 Xplained Ultra Evaluation Kit [view link] $193.00 should show all documentation ( 3 items ) [view link] 55 pages [view link] and then here, the other way: [view link] and here, 90 boards [view link] SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    So page 255, Alan Wexelblat Talks about dimensions, Linear ( 2 sided ), Ray ( 1 sided ) Quantum ( like integers, really eigenvalues ), Nominal ( meaning it is like a set ) , Oridinal ( like a set but with an order ), and Functional ( meaning depends on some function, such as time of day. ) And these can be relative or absolute. SJG Waring of Rising Nationalism [view link] [view link] [view link]! Adam Hochschild [view link] Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, underneath the Arch of Triumph, should be visible from this East side angled view [view link] [view link] [view link] [view link] Theatre Chochotte - Paris [view link] Hookers in Paris [view link] Baker Gurwitz [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    Intel 64 and IA-32 processor manuals 10 volume version and 4 volume version. Download the latter, 24 Megbytes [view link] comes non-zipped, 4800 pages SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    ^^^^ has 128 bit and 256 bit registers, but it is for integer operations bounds checking. But still talks about 128 bit floating point for SIMD ( single instruction multiple devices. 128 bit floating point would be really *C*O*O*L* Need to read and read and read. SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    In hand now, Basic Introduction to Bioelectromagnetics [view link] CRC Press, always good! SJG Need to focus on 2020 [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    Finished with. Basic Introduction to Bioelectromagnetics I have the 1999 edition. There is a newer edition. Let me see if I can find anything about it. 2009 second edition: [view link] "Example applications include hyperthermia, neural stimulation, MRI, NMR, ultrasound, and cardiac pacing/defibrillation. " 2nd Edition Preview [view link] Yes, the second edition does have some good stuff in it. We also have this: Bioelectromagnetism : principles and applications of bioelectric and biomagnetic fields / Jaakko Malmivuo, Robert Plonsey. 1995 ^^^^^ looks more interesting. Yes, the above looks like the one to read next. So about the one I read, it reviews electromagnetism, and it shows that running from maybe 100Mz to 1000Mhz you can get a skin depth in the human body of about 5 to 10 cm maximum. You can find fluid in the lungs and abscesses to an extent. But there is no talk about reading eeg or heart muscles by magnetic fields, or about using superconductivity and Josephson Junctions. SJG Stravinsky: The Firebird / Gergiev · Vienna Philarmonic · Salzburg Festival 2000 [view link] So you folks like these no proscenium concert halls? Disney Music Center [view link] San Jose Center for the Performing Arts, not designed that way. [view link] Globe, Zurich, kudos to Londonguy [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    So I am going to get the second edition of this first, easy to just read the new stuff. Finished with. Basic Introduction to Bioelectromagnetics I have the 1999 edition. There is a newer edition. Let me see if I can find anything about it. Basic introduction to bioelectromagnetics (2009 CRC Press) but might be currently unavailable Then Bioelectromagnetism : principles and applications of bioelectric and biomagnetic fields / Jaakko Malmivuo, Robert Plonsey. 1995 SJG Hidden in Plain Sight ( Sex Tr*****ing) I say that this women is just wrong, especially about the US and about CA [view link] [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    So I will have this soon, 1995 Bioelectromagnetism : principles and applications of bioelectric and biomagnetic fields / Jaakko Malmivuo, Robert Plonsey. SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    So I will have the above book soon. But there are also others available: Electricity and magnetism in biological systems / D.T. Edmonds. 2001 Iron, nature's universal element : why people need iron & animals make magnets / Eugenie Vorburger Mielczarek and Sharon Bertsch McGrayne 2000 Bioelectricity and biomagnetism / Ramesh M. Gulrajani 1998 Scientific and clinical applications of magnetic carriers / edited by Urs Häfeli [and others]. 1977 Magnet therapy : balancing your body's energy flow for self-healing / Holger Hannemann. 1990 SJG Zazu [view link] Graham Bond ✪ Holy Magick [full album] [view link] Farm - Farm 1971 (FULL ALBUM) [Psychedelic Blues-Rock] [view link] How False Testimony and a Massive U.S. Propaganda Machine Bolstered George H.W. Bush’s War on Iraq [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    In hand right now: Bioelectromagnetism : principles and applications of bioelectric and biomagnetic fields / Jaakko Malmivuo, Robert Plonsey (1995) SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    ^^^^ book looks really good. Talks about EEG and 12 wire EKG. Also talks about magnetic detection, brain, heart, nerve and muscle tissue. !!! SJG All the Kabbalah You Really Need To Know, Blazing Star OTO, Oakland CA [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    Bioelectromagnetism : principles and applications of bioelectric and biomagnetic fields / Jaakko Malmivuo, Robert Plonsey (1995) First author is in Finland at the Ragnar Granit Institute. And he dedicates the book to this Ragnar Granit (1900 - 1991), bioelectromagnetism pioneer and Nobel Prize winner. Second author is at Duke University, Durham, North Carolina So in 1963 Baule and McFee measured the first biomagnetic signal, the magnetocardiogram, MCG. They did this by winding 2 million turns of copper wire around a ferrite. Actually it was two ferrites, counter wired in serious to cancel out other magnetic effects. So this must be what Japan's TDK is talking about. So you can measure the heart, but it is different from what I was expecting to see. And you can measure more if you use SQUIDS. And right now they are only talking about the very expensive LHe, not LN2. And as far as brain waves, really cannot measure much without SQUIDS. So sometimes magnetic cardiogram has advantages over electocardiogram. But best is when both can use used together. But SQUIDS and LHe is very very expensive. So brain waves are about 100 microvolts at the scalp. But about 1 to 2 millivolts directly at the brain. I do have past experience in these matters. Now, as it has been for over 100 years, where the science stops, the New Age Metaphysics begins. Lots of talk about neural anatomy. 3 kinds of muscle. Smooth and the Skeletal Striated. The third is Cardiac. It is striated like the skeletal, but there is another difference. It is coupled together electrically so that when one cell fires, they all fire. SJG Yanis Varoufakis: Is Capitalism Devouring Democracy? [view link] TJ Street [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    So Cardiograms can be done magnetically. Ferrite can get readings. But clinically it is always done with SQUIDs. To do Encephalogram magnetically, it has to be done with SQUIDs. Electrocardiograms use 12 wires. Electroencephalograms can use up to 21 wires. Magnetic fields ( Vector Curl ) are created by charge carrier movement ( drift, angular momentum, or spin ), but they are also created by time variance in the electric field ( displacement current ). SJG Merkaba - Chariot of the Gods [view link] Ever notice that Stephen Spielberg's films always include appearances of the Chariot, and that always before these there is silence and a void? Often such appearances mean that someone is going to die violently.
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    Want to be getting this fairly soon: Power electronics : devices, circuits and industrial applications / V.R. Moorthi. (2005) SJG Baby's Looki' Hot [view link] TJ Street [view link]
  • TrollWarnBot
    6 years ago
    WARNING - The following accounts are considered to be forum trolls and may not be trustworthy: san_jose_guy - commonly referred to as SJG this forum member is usually mocked or ignored, his comments should NOT be taken in any way as legitimate
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    So looking here at a news paper ad for Fry's selling Core I5, Intel 9th Generation, Core i5-9600k Processor, 3.7Ghz, 4.6Ghz Turbo, 9MB Cache, Integrated UHD Graphics 630 Unlocked Six-Core $277 So what can i find out about this? Here, look at this first, sells for $1.2k Here we go, Intel HPC [view link] Core I9 [view link] 9th Generation Brief [view link] Their info PDF, 6 pages [view link] I believe that they all have 80bit hardware floating point. Beating out the ARM core processors. But what I look forward to seeing, 128 bit hardware floating point, I am not seeing. Though I believe they have at least one 128bit register. SJG Joe Jackson Night and Day [view link] TJ Street [view link] [view link] Baker Gurvitz Army - Vinyl Album High Quality [view link] Belly Dancing in High Heels [view link] Belly Dancing in Liquid Dress and High Heels [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    John Henry Holland (February 2, 1929 – August 9, 2015) was an American scientist and Professor of psychology and Professor of electrical engineering and computer science at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. He was a pioneer in what became known as genetic algorithms. [view link] Read this guys stuff decades ago. Interesting, but I still think it was going over my head. John H. Holland Adaptation in natural and artificial systems : an introductory analysis with applications to biology (1975) Emergence : from chaos to order (1999) Hidden order : how adaptation builds complexity (1995) Induction : processes of inference, learning, and discovery (1986) Signals and boundaries : building blocks for complex adaptive systems (2012, 308 pages, seems to have been his last book) [view link] [view link] ^^^^ very available! A lot of this stuff, it is not that interesting in the abstract. But when you start to talk about applying it in a signal detection or machine decision making situation, then it is very interesting, non-linear signal processing. SJG Creedence Clearwater Revival: Have You Ever Seen The Rain? ( studio recording, with piano bass ) [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    John Henry Holland (February 2, 1929 – August 9, 2015) [view link] Professor of psychology and Professor of electrical engineering and computer science at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. He was a pioneer in what became known as genetic algorithms. Fields Complex systems Psychology Electrical engineering Computer science [view link] [view link] Source Code [view link] SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Very good book: [view link] Audio systems design and installation / Phillip Giddings (1990 Sams) Lots of people talk about "ground loops", but most don't have any idea what they are talking about. The above deals with it in detail. Pitched at audio gear, but it applies the same for Radio Frequency and for Digital. One of the reasons, just one of them, that I want to make my organization go is that then I can start building up the library. Books will not be paid for out membership dues, as that just goes to buildings, shuttle van fleet, and my salary of $1 per year. Books and other stuff will be paid for with money that I bring in from the outside. ************************* SJG Quid Pro Quo GOP challenger Joe Walsh: Donald Trump is a traitor [view link] Goodbye Donald Trump!
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Enactive Artificial Intelligence [view link] My knowledge of this goes way back to where the concept first developed: [view link] SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Here, though not easy to obtain at this time. Enaction : toward a new paradigm for cognitive science / edited by John Stewart, Olivier Gapenne, and Ezequiel A. Di Paolo. (2014 MIT Press) SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Here, another book: Evolution, cognition, and performance / Bruce McConachie (2015)
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    and widely disseminated First person : new media as story, performance, and game / edited by Noah Wardrip-Fruin and Pat Harrigan ; designed by Michael Crumpton. (2004)
  • TrollWarnBot
    5 years ago
    WARNING - The following accounts are considered to be forum trolls and may not be trustworthy: san_jose_guy - Commonly referred to as SJG this forum member may have some sort of mental illness and is usually mocked or ignored. SJG has a long history of posting incendiary comments including being pro-rape. His comments should NOT be taken in any way as legitimate.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Energy Critical Elements [view link] SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Enactive artificial intelligence: Investigating the systemic organization of life and mind 2009 [view link] [view link] Dreyfus Paper, 43 pages, probably published 2007 Why Heideggerian AI Failed and how Fixing it would Require making it more Heideggerian Hubert L. Dreyfus [view link] [view link] 2011 [view link] 2013 Artificial Intelligence - Hubert Dreyfus - Heidegger - Deep Learning [view link] Hubert Dreyfus Interview [view link] Hubert Dreyfus Interview - AI, Heidegger, Meaning in the Modern World [view link] Searching for Meaning in a Secular Age [view link] SJG Richard Smoley: Magic and the Occult [view link] WATCH: State Department officials testify on U.S. troop withdrawal from northeastern Syria [view link]
  • skibum609
    5 years ago
    Moron posting links 2019.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    ^^^^^ Moron making troll posts 2019 SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Heideggerian AI and the Being of Robots (2016) not in libraries After Cognitivism: A Reassessment of Cognitive Science and Philosophy also not in libraries SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    I went AMD!! - Personal Rig Update Late 2019 [view link] Interesting! SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    [view link] Heideggerian AI and the Being of Robots [view link] Why Heideggerian AI failed and how fixing it would require making it more Heideggerian More about above coming. SJG Procol Harem 1967 [view link] [view link] so this first album would have included Robin Trower Two Big Girls, like? [view link] [view link]
  • Staalbal
    5 years ago
    Fuck. This guy must be totally of his rocker. A thread going for more than a year where he is basically talking to him self??? Crazy, crazy shit.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    ^^^^^^ If you have something to contribute, then please do so. Otherwise, you are shit fuck. SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Contemporary Sensorimotor Theory (Studies in Applied Philosophy, Epistemology and Rational Ethics) 2014th Edition Talks about Heiddegerian AI. But I am not seeing this in academic libraries [view link] SJG Society for Sacred Sexuality [view link] [view link] Also the Epic of Gilgamesh depends on bringing one temple prostitute out to stay with Gilgamesh and fuck him for several days in order to tame him. Meals 4 Heels [view link] Amsterdam [view link] Cats are the only asocial animal we have successfully domesticated. We’re disappointed that we don’t bond with them as easily as dogs. But are we just missing the signs? [view link] Steve Jobs Said 1 Thing Separates Successful People From Everyone Else (and Will Make All the Difference In Your Life) [view link] Forget You - CeeLo Green (cover) [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Transistors and Neural Networks Mathematical perspectives on neural networks / [edited by] Paul Smolensky, Michael C. Mozer, David E. Rumelhart. (1996) The industrial electronics handbook / editor-in-chief, J. David Irwin. (1997) The computational beauty of nature : computer explorations of fractals, chaos, complex systems, and adaptation / Gary William Flake. (1997) VLSI design of neural networks / edited by Ulrich Ramacher and Ulrich Rückert (1991) Transister Museum [view link] UCLA scientists pioneer new method for watching brain cells interact in real time [view link] The Bandgap Reference [view link] Transistor developed at UCLA significantly outperforms existing models [view link] OUTPUT TRANSISTOR STEREO RECEIVER / AMPLIFIER CROSS-REFERENCE CHART [view link] Feed-forward neural networks : vector decomposition analysis, modelling, and analog implementation / by Anne-Johan Annema (1995)
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Analog Neural Networks [view link] [view link] [view link] SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Very important paper by a most insightful author, Hubert Dreyfus. Click on link then tell it to download the paper as a PDF [view link] SJG Big Girl, like? [view link] Society for Sacred Sexuality [view link] [view link] Also the Epic of Gilgamesh depends on bringing one temple prostitute out to stay with Gilgamesh and fuck him for several days in order to tame him. Meals 4 Heels [view link] Amsterdam [view link] Cats are the only asocial animal we have successfully domesticated. We’re disappointed that we don’t bond with them as easily as dogs. But are we just missing the signs? [view link] Steve Jobs Said 1 Thing Separates Successful People From Everyone Else (and Will Make All the Difference In Your Life) [view link] Forget You - CeeLo Green (cover) [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Okay, Dreyfus mentions this, and it is in libraries: Computation and human experience / Philip E. Agre (1997) And we have other books by this same author, from that same late 90's era. SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    ALso this from Agre: Philip E. Agre,The Dynamic Structure of Everyday Life, MIT AI Technical Report 1085, October 1988, chapter 1, Section A1a, 9.31Agre,Computation and Human Experience, 243. His ambitious goal was to “develop an alternative to the representational theory of intention-ality, beginning with the phenomenological intuition that everyday routine activities are founded in habitual, embodied ways of interacting withpeople, places, and things in he world.”32Ibid, xi. SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Totally cool, 2 volumes: Essays in honor of Hubert L. Dreyfus / edited by Mark A. Wrathall and Jeff Malpas. (2000), dealing with these issues! And Dreyfus is using this translation of Heidegger: Martin Heidegger,Being and Time, J. Macquarrie & E. Robinson, Trans. (New York: Harper & Row, 1962) [view link] SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    From the Dreyfus paper: "For example, while biking we can observe passers by, or think about philosophy, but if we start observing how we skillfully stay balanced, we risk falling over." also take note of: Brooks, “Intelligence without representation”, 418. Michael Wheeler,Reconstructing the Cognitive World, 285. Wheeler’s well informed book could not have been more timely since there are now at least three versions ofsupposedly Heideggerian AI that might be thought of as articulating a new paradigm for the field: Rodney Brooks’behaviorist approach at MIT, Phil Agre’s pragmatist model, and Walter Freeman’s neurodynamic model. All threeapproaches implicitly accept Heidegger’s critique of Cartesian internalist representations, and, embrace John Hauge-land’s slogan that cognition is embedded and embodied. How brains make up their minds / Walter J. Freeman. (2000) Walter_Jackson_Freeman_III [view link] Taught at UC Berkeley, passed away in 2016, Fellow of IEEE, and in charge of their neural networks section. Studied Mathematics and Physics at MIT. In 2008, Freeman proposed that Thomism is the philosophical system explaining cognition that is most compatible with neurodynamics. [view link] Michael Wheeler,Reconstructing the Cognitive World: The Next Step(Cambridge, MA: A Bradford Book, The MIT Press, 2007) Heidegger and cognitive science / edited by Julian Kiverstein and Michael Wheeler (2012) Reconstructing the cognitive world : the next step / Michael Wheeler. (2005) This author also good and relevant Kiverstein, Julian Looking back, Winograd says: “My own work in computer science is greatly influenced by conversations with Dreyfus.” John Haugeland, “Mind embodied and embedded,”Having Thought: Essays in the Metaphysics of Mind(Cambridge, MA: Harvard UniversityPress, 1998), 218. Terry Winograd writing about what happened at MIT, after he left for Stanford: For those who have followed the history of artificial intelligence, it is ironic that [the MIT] laboratory shouldbecome a cradle of “Heideggerian AI.” It was at MIT that Dreyfus first formulated his critique, and, for twentyyears, the intellectual atmosphere in the AI Lab was overtly hostile to recognizing the implications of what he said.Nevertheless, some of the work now being done at that laboratory seems to have been affected by Heidegger andDreyfus. Hubert Dreyfus,What Computers Still Can’t Do: A Critique of Artificial [view link] Press, 1992, 265–266. Still, Brooks comes close to an existential insight spelled out by Merleau-Ponty, viz. that intelligence is founded on and presupposes the more basic way of coping we share with animals, when he says: "The “simple” things concerning perception and mobility in a dynamic environment...are a necessary basis for“higher-level” intellect....Therefore, I proposed looking at simpler animals as a bottom-up model for buildingintelligence. It is soon apparent, when “reasoning” is stripped away as the prime component of a robot’s intellect,that the dynamics of the interaction of the robot and its environment are primary determinants of the structure of its intelligence." "The work can best be described as attempts to emulate insect-level locomotion and navigation....There have been some behavior-based attempts at exploring social interactions, but these too have been modeled after the sorts of social interactions we see in insects." Surprisingly, the modesty Brooks exhibited in choosing to first construct simple insect-like devices did not deterBrooks and Daniel Dennett from repeating the extravagant optimism characteristic of AI researchers in the [view link] in the days of GOFAI, on the basis of Brooks’ success with insect-like devices, instead of trying to make, say, anartificial spider, Brooks and Dennett decided to leap ahead and build a humanoid robot. As Dennett explained in a1994 report to The Royal Society of London: A team at MIT of which I am a part is now embarking on a long-term project to design and build a humanoidrobot, Cog, whose cognitive talents will include speech, eye-coordinated manipulation of objects, and a host ofself-protective, self-regulatory and self-exploring activities. (Brooks is okay, but I have long been very unimpressed with Daniel Dennett) Maurice Merleau-Ponty,The Structure of Behavior, A.L. Fisher, Trans. (Boston: Beacon Press, 2nd edition 1966). “It’s like claiming that the first monkey that climbed a tree was makingprogress towards flight to the moon.” ^^^^ Dreyfus's brother Stuart. Totally cool paper [view link] SJG
  • Fun_Loving_Fella
    5 years ago
    You ok man? Maybe you should go see a doctor.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    FunLoving, everyone needs a continuing life long education. Maybe you are the one exception, as you already know everything. SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Analog Mixed-Signal Design in FinFET Processes Webinar [view link] FinFET's [view link] SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    So who makes LED's, and how are white LED's made? Fabrication in Palo ALto? [view link] SolarEdge, does not seem to make LED's [view link] White LED [view link] [view link] "White light is obtained by using multiple semiconductors or a layer of light-emitting phosphor on the semiconductor device." Bees have 4 colors of cone cells in their vision. But we just have 3. Some people though are anomalous trichromats. [view link] Also having 3 different band gaps in one device, and getting the currents balanced right is not that easy. Would not usually be a monolithic IC. SJG Electric Blues [view link] TJ School [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    Baldor Electric is now ABB [view link] ABB Motors and Mechanical Inc. 5711 R.S. Boreham Jr Street P.O. Box 2400 Fort Smith, AR 72901 Blador Electric Company, Fort Smith, Arkansas based manufacturer of energy saving industrial electric motors, power transmission products, drives and generators, continues to expand its generator product offering from 1-2,000 kW. Manufactured in our Oshkosh plant in Wisconsin, each Blador generator, stock or custom, is designed to provide the greatest reliability while meeting NEMA, NFPA110, CSA and UL stndards. [view link] SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    Hardware for Digital Neural Networks, like what is described in [view link] but digital. Part of the book online [view link] 1993 book: [view link] ?? [view link] SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    ^^^^^^ Digital neural networks / S.Y. Kung (1993) available. To gain depth of understanding need to read old books to see how the ideas developed. SJG Joe Bonamassa Official - "Hummingbird" - Live At The Greek Theatre [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    Artificial neural networks for engineering applications / edited by Alma Y. Alanis, Nancy Arana-Daniel and Carlos López-Franco (2019) Practical machine learning and image processing : for facial recognition, object detection, and pattern recognition using Python / Himanshu Singh (2019, new book in high demand ) My organization will be structured as a network of think tanks, because I cannot read every book and know everything about everything myself. SJG “I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only make them think.” —Socrates [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    Types of Neural Networks [view link] SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    Artificial neural networks in hardware: A survey of two decades of progress [view link] Author Page [view link] 12 page pdf [view link] to get to the paper ( UCLA ) [view link] ^^^^ 43 pages in their viewer 2014 paper: Design and Implementation of Multilayer Perceptron with On-chip Learning in Virtex-E [view link] Virtex-E ?? [view link] Looked for this kind of info before. Came up with nothing. Now, looks really good! Have to read the stuff myself, or I don't really know, and I don't know they whats and whys of it. SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    Self-Powered Insights for the Physical World [view link] [view link] [view link] [view link] SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    BOSS Control Systems Inc [view link] Building Automation Systems Design, Installation, Management [view link] SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    Superior Sensors [view link] Superior Sensor Technology was founded in October of 2016 with a mission to bring Application Specific Sensors into the industrial, medical and automotive markets. [view link] SJG [view link] [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    MicroSemi, Santa Clara, Now owned by the vast Phoenix based MicroChip [view link] lot of acquisitions [view link] back to 1959 [view link] SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    Rennovia ?? [view link] BioAmber files for bankruptcy and Rennovia ceases operations [view link] Rennovia, Inc. produces renewable chemicals. It offers adipic acids and adiponitrile for consumer end products, including carpets, heat-resistant automotive parts, furniture, apparel, footwear, luggage, adhesives, and coatings. Rennovia, Inc. was incorporated in 2009 and is based in Menlo Park, California. [view link] executives and board members Rennovia, Inc. produces bio-renewable chemicals. The Company develops advanced chemo-catalytic processes for the conversion of bio-derived, renewable feedstocks. Rennovia serves customers worldwide. [view link] Very Curious Technical Article [view link] and [view link] SJG The Graham Bond Organization [view link] Graham Bond (vocals/organ/mellotron/sax), Dick Heckstall-Smith (sax), Jack Bruce (bass/harmonica/vocals) and Ginger Baker (drums)
  • Mate27
    4 years ago
    ^^^ You ok SJG? Maybe you need to see a doctor, and get your coconut head checked out.
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    mindray Mindray Building, Keji 12th Road South, High-tech Industrial Park, Nanshan, Shenzhen 518057, P. R. China [view link] products [view link] SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    1932, Invention of Ford Flat Head V8, I believe with 4 way crank too. [view link] SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    1932, Invention of Ford Flat Head V8, I believe with 4 way crank too. [view link] SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    Hymer, Motor Homes [view link] in Europe 2019 Hymer GmbH & Co. KG [view link] Biggest Kind [view link] has 27 page PDF, nice layout. Unusual, huge external access storage bay in lower rear over hang. on MBZ RWD 4 tires chassis. Max weight 4500 kilograms. Not sure how available this is in the US. SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    [view link] Founded 1980 Burlingame CA, 55,000 sq ft. Major Equipment List [view link] SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    Cordis, a Cardinal Health company [view link] talk of Gish Rd. San Jose but also Dublin Ohio. [view link] here it says HQ is in Santa Clara, CA [view link] SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    Automated Solutions Group [view link] SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    Looking more at [view link] Burlingame With over 55,000 square feet of manufacturing area in two buildings, our Printed Circuit Board Assembly and Electromechanical facilities are located in Burlingame, California - just outside of the Silicon Valley, centrally located between San Francisco and San Jose, California. With Sales offices in Burlingame and San Diego California. [view link] [view link] Right on the bay front, and very close to SF International, but yes, strictly in Burlingame. [view link] Picture Tour [view link] [view link] [view link] These guys must know what they are doing. Not sure myself how much of this kind of work still goes on in this country, and especially in the bay area. Don't have a sense of what their applications are and who their customers would be. Not sure if their photo tour could be very old. The experience and history of ABX has given us a robust supply of vendors both in the US and off-shore allowing ABX to fulfill customer demands through the most efficient use of resources, inventory, automation and labor. The ABX supply chain includes working with key suppliers to eliminate bottlenecks, sourcing strategically to strike a balance between lowest material cost logistics, implementing JIT (Just In Time) techniques to optimize manufacturing flow, maintaining the right mix and location of vendors to serve our customers production needs. Yes, most of the people I know who are involved in such do emphasize off shore. Should be able to make onshore and local work. Don't like this guy, but I would like to read his book. [view link] SJG [view link] [view link] [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    ABB [view link] Fanuc, Rochester Hills MI [view link] [view link] [view link] [view link] ^^^^ a very collaborative industry segment I am seeing. [view link] [view link] WE SHOULD BE DESIGNING NEW PRODUCTS AND REBUILDING OUR ON SHORE MANUFACTURING INDUSTRIES SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    Adaptek Robotics [view link] 14224 Plank St. Fort Wayne, IN 46818 We are located in the heart of US manufacturing in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Our operations include over 20,000 square feet of design and production space geared to addressing the many challenges of global manufacturing through the application of the right automation solution. ^^^ fairly small facility. Decades back very innovative and effective with fiber optic assembly applications. Robotic and Assembly Partners [view link] News and Whitepapers [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    [view link] [view link] [view link] 3240 Scott Blvd. Santa Clara, CA 95054 Also Malaysia Kulim Hi-Tech Park (KHTP) Malaysia Lot 8, SMI Park Phase 2 Jalan Hi-Tech 4 Sambungan Kulim Hi-Tech Park 09000 Kulim, KEDAH Malaysia [view link] [view link] SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    [view link] 3245 WOODWARD AVE SANTA CLARA, CA 95054 CNC Milling and Lathe and CMM SJG Cafe Music, great youtube covers [view link] [view link] [view link] [view link] The Mentors: Sex Slave [view link] Kudos to Heaving for letting me know about wireless vibrators! [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    Inphi [view link] [view link] [view link] old 2002 article [view link] SJG Squatting in high heels [view link] Wireless Remote Control Bullet Vibe [view link] Peter Frampton Do You Feel Like We Do (2019, quite interesting) [view link] Creedence Clearwater Revival - I Heard It Through The Grapevine [view link] Amy Winehouse/Paul Weller - I heard it through the grapevine.Hootynanny 2006. [view link] [view link] Jefferson Starship Miracles [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    Microwave Dielectric Waveguide Grating Filters [view link] 1996, U-Texas Arlington SJG Daniel Castro - I'll Play The Blues For You [view link] Slow Blues/ Blues Ballads 1 - A two hour long compilation [view link] TJ Street [view link] [view link] Some Other Threads Open: Pulsations of the Known Universe [view link] R Programming Language [view link] Right Wing Jews [view link] OT: Assembler, C/C++, Embedded Systems, Machine Architectures, Development Syste, has listing of other related threads at very top! [view link] OT: Mathematics [view link] The Ultimate Thread: SJG's Soap Box [view link] EXCLUSIVE SJG - baby pic [view link] Closed: Fighting Against Christianity [view link] Dominic77: OT: musings on Adulting and savings (long) [view link] EveHartley: How Many of You Are Child Free? [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    Logitech® Wireless Desktop Keyboard And Mouse Combo, MK345 [view link] 2.4GHz speed delivers a reliable, long-range connection. Operating range of up to 30' (actual wireless range may vary with use, settings and environmental conditions). Uses 2 AAA batteries for keyboard, and one more for the mouse. Batteries could last 3 years! These kinds of things use to be 980 Mhz. This is 2.4Ghz, but I don't think it is WiFi. 2.4Ghz is open to using different ways. Wireless keyboard w/ trackball might be better [view link] KVM splitters, but I think they mean one PC, multiple keyboards etc. [view link] Hauppauge, NY Muffin Fans, and 120V AC is liked better. [view link] And small as they make 'em would be best. 120mm, quite big! [view link] 80mm, still way too big! [view link] 80mm and larger [view link] Maybe 40mm, but 12V DC. They do sell grill covers. [view link] DC Axial Fans [view link] The big fans are too much air flow, but also too much size and too much noise. 40mm is okay, but smaller would be even better. But they are 5 or 12 volts DC. 12v better than 5v. But 120 volts AC better still. For AC power, looks like 80mm is the smallest. They sell fan grill plates, but I am not seeing filters and their mountings. How about opto isolated and triggered triacs? Here is a triac, nice thermal mounting too. [view link] $10. Isolated from its thermal mounting. But not seeing optical isolation for triggering. They say good for microwave ovens. Well probably nothing is isolated electrically there. [view link] Good specs, good mechanical design TG Series Information •16~70 Amps •400~600 Volts •TO-238AB Full line [view link] DATA SHEET [view link] SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    San Rex Sasha [view link] Fan Cover Parts [view link] [view link] Opto Couplers, though not in the same module as the Triac. [view link] ATC-Automatic-Timing-and-Control-Solid-State-Relays [view link] ^^^^ This stuff has its uses, but mostly too big, and not seeing the opto-isolation. Also, if you still have to get triggering current from the unisolated side, is that not being done in thermally inefficient way, resistor drop? Also, can IGBT do this and be directly optically triggered? Triac should be possible to directly optically trigger. Like this, but still my same questions [view link] MOC3020 or MOC3023 [view link] Optocouplers / Isolators - IGBT and MOSFET Driver [view link] Optical Isolation for Solar Power [view link] ^^^^^ Interesting stuff! They even seem to have opto controlled power MOSFETs. Lots of new uses of opto isolation for solar power systems IGBT Drivers Optically isolated IGBT drivers are used to isolate the high voltage stage of an DC/AC inverter from the low voltage control circuitry. Isolation is required for safety purposes because string inverters are inverting a high voltage DC output from the solar panels to a high voltage output that will be fed to the utility grid. This high voltage must be isolated from the user-accessible low voltage circuitry. Optically isolated IGBT drivers also allow the designers to separate low noise control circuitry from noisy high voltage and high current circuitry, which improves performance, shrinks product size, and simplifies the design process. [view link] [view link] SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    RGB Led's [view link] 3mm wide, surface mount, has all three LED's, separate pins. Can go up to 20mA ! There are big bruisers. [view link] SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    MKS Newport [view link] [view link] Newport Photonics [view link] [view link] RS-485, well worth reading: [view link] Chapter on RS-485, CRC Press, always good. Networking and integration of facilities automation systems / Viktor Boed ; with contributions from Ira Goldschmidt [and others]. RS-485, 10 Mbaud max. Can use four wires for full duplex, but can do two way data on just one pair. Max Baud times distance in meters should not exceed 10E8. So 10 M would be for 100 meters. Max length ever is 1200 Meters. Termination should be 3 resistors ( pull up, load, pull down. ) Lines float and screw up without the pull up and pull down. [view link] SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    actually lots of books as "serial communications" Handbook of serial communications interfaces : a comprehensive compendium of serial digital input/output (I/o) standards / Louis E. Frenzel Jr. (2016) SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    ^^^^ above book looks awesome! SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    80mm 120V AC fans, but which way to they blow, I want them to blow in. And not really good for mounting upside down. [view link] [view link] [view link] I guess this could be mounted the other way: [view link] SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    Spec sheet shows air flow, but you cannot tell which direction they have drawn fan. I guess this fan can be mounted either way. [view link] Loud kinds of fans, but better than having to make bigger power supply to run fan. about 5 watts of AC mains power. SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    Making these software shut down and reset, and momentary contact on/off switch circuits is not that easy. Need to read more. How it works in lap tops is one thing, DC only. But on other stuff with the AC power mains, quite tricky. This is still DC only [view link] [view link] SJG TJ Street [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    All about circuits, software self shut down [view link] SJG TJ Street [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    So I clearly want books about Triacs and about IGBT's, and for use in controlling the 60hz power mains for modest scale appliances, particularly interested in DC triggering for both alternations. Triacs: Electronics : circuits and systems / Owen Bishop 2007 Industrial electronics for engineers, chemists, and technicians : with optional lab experiments / Daniel J. Shanefield. (2001) Read older books first IGBT Complete guide to semiconductor devices / Kwok K. Ng (2002) Power electronics : devices, circuits and industrial applications / V.R. Moorthi (2005, had found this before) This guy has a power semi book, but it is old and hard to come by. [view link] Well here, 1979 Solid-state power electronics / by Irving M. Gottlieb Worth reading first, has other devices. I read it many years ago. Other books of Gottlieb about power supply design are available and well worth reading. SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    NATO's air war for Kosovo : a strategic and operational assessment / Benjamin S. Lambeth [view link] HARM Missile [view link] [view link] [view link] SJG Mexico City [view link] Erik Satie: Gymnopédies & Gnossiennes (Full Album) [view link]
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    You should weigh in on (or at least acknowledge) one of the few threads on here that's relevant to you... [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    CMI, the Underground Circle Jerk Room is calling you. That means there must be a set open. SJG
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    I think you meant to reply over here... [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    The HARM Missile receives target parameters from the launch aircraft prior to launch. The HARM Missile uses these parameters and relevant attitude data to process incoming RF energy to acquire and guide the HARM Missile to the desired target. SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Steve Mann [view link] [view link] [view link] [view link] Publications [view link] Intelligent Image Processing [view link] Not so easy to get. SJG Seven Nation Army [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Nuro [view link] These guys are into autonomous vehicles. They look to have one kinda like a Toyota Prius, but with the camera set up on the roof. I guess this could have a safety driver. Then they have this real small thing, autonomous deliver only. To me it looks like you could get 4 people into it, like into a BMW Isset, or into a Citroen 2CV. But it is not for people. THey say it runs autonomously on the public roads in Houston. But you have to take this kind of stuff with a grain of salt. SJG
  • motorhead
    3 years ago
    Rock and Roll Part 2 > Seven Nation Army
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    NATO's air war for Kosovo : a strategic and operational assessment / Benjamin S. Lambeth [view link] [view link] Originally made by Texas Instruments, until Raytheon bought that part of their business. Date Deployed: 1984 Power Plant: Thiokol dual-thrust rocket motor Thrust: Dual thrust Length: 13 feet, 8 inches (4.14 meters) Launch Weight: 800 pounds (360 kilograms) Diameter: 10 inches (25.40 centimeters) Wingspan: 3 feet, 8 inches (101.60 centimeters) Range: 30 plus miles (48 plus kilometers) Speed: Max. speed: 2280 km/h Guidance System: Proportional Guidance method Homes on electronic emissions Warhead WAU-7/B, 143.51bs. Direct Fragmentation 79 pages [view link] [view link] 25,000 preformed steel fragments in the warhead [view link] [view link] [view link] [view link] SJG Mexico City Doxy Spotting [view link] [view link] [view link] TJ Street [view link] [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    How to Write a Memoir When Parts of Your Childhood Are Classified [view link] Turkey’s Roketsan develops missile to replace Raytheon weapon, making their own fighter plane too. [view link] Even this does not give much info on the design and evolution of the HARM Missile. But the Turkish missile efforts today are interesting. SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    looking specifically for Raytheon based info about HARM Missile [view link] Joint Strike Missile [view link] Boeing P-8A Poseidon [view link] Raytheon Missiles and Defense [view link] SJG backdoor [view link] [view link] Caramel Star, one who knows how to dress for pleasure [view link] [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Mouser Electronic Modems [view link] Alpha Microsystems [view link] ^^^^ don't know if this still exists this seems to be what I was looking for: [view link] [view link] YES [view link] batteries [view link] Cable UPS Power Supplies [view link] datasheet PDF, 12 volt batteries [view link] Uniterruptible Power Supplies Advanced ferro technology for maximum power efficiency under all modes of operation [view link] History [view link] [view link] Alpha Technologies 3767 Alpha Way Bellingham, WA 98226 SJG David Gilmor [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    PC-AT Keyboard, USB, how does it work? [view link] SJG Frampton [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    Ryzen 5 chip, 256gb solid state drive and 8mb of RAM and a 15.6” display for around $440. Gateway Notebook 15.6" FHD Laptop, AMD Ryzen 5 3450U, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Windows 10 Home, Blue, GWTN156-4BL [view link] [view link] [view link] Kudos to Shailynn for mentioning this machine and the Ryzen chip. SJG X- Live At The Whisky A Go Go [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    Using the core and primary of a microwave oven's transformer to make something that is really high current. This Is Why We Don’t Toss Out Broken Microwaves | Remake Projects [view link] SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    Dell PowerEdge [view link] SJG
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion