tuscl

NYC clubs facing shut downs.

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
Sunday, September 2, 2018 4:48 AM
New York’s jiggle-joint owners are shaking in their boots that the number of strip clubs in town could contract from about 20 to less than eight if the city starts enforcing a ruling made last year that the clubs can’t be in residential areas. After a years long court battle, a Manhattan judge ruled last year that strip clubs can no long­er operate under the so-called 60-40 rule, which allowed the mammary meccas to keep on shimmying in otherwise restricted zones as long as 60 percent of the club was used for “non-adult” entertainment, such as a restaurant. Explained one top club owner: “Last year was the last hurrah. That’s the end of 60-40.” But he said that the city has not been enforcing the zoning code — until now. “The hammer is coming down on this; it’s only weeks or months away. There are 20, give or take, clubs acting in New York — this law could get them down to between four and eight.” That has left some clubs scrambling to expand to new locations not in residential areas. Sources exclusively told Page Six that glitzy Sapphire Gentlemen’s Club on East 60th Street is taking over the lease at the Times Square institution FlashDancers, the city’s longest-running club. There are rumors among club kingpins that the lease at the space is $170,000 per month. “It’s been very successful,” said a source of the location. “Unlike other clubs [that have moved to more industrial parts of town], they’re on Broadway and get the tourists and business people passing by.” A rep for Sapphire had no comment. Sapphire’s Sunday party has been known to attract DJs including Lil Jon and Questlove, plus VIPs like Dennis Rodman and various Jets. The controversy is just the latest to rock the stripper world. We reported last year that there was a “stripper strike” at the clubs when scantily clad bartenders were allegedly earning more than the dancers themselves.

8 comments

• sp
    6 years ago
    Oh, WTF! The only club I go to when I'm in the city and they have to fuck with it!!
  • jackslash
    6 years ago
    The over-priced no-fun Manhattan clubs are closing. What a loss! I guess NYC residents will have to travel to Detroit to see what strip clubs should be like.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    Damn - supposedly the Flashdancer location is $170k/month rent - that's a lot of mula
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    There's a shortage of affordable housing in NYC and strip clubs occupying residential space will be forced out - Sin City was rumored to have been forced out bc of this and Sue's Rendezvous abruptly shut down a while back, both popular clubs
  • rattdog
    6 years ago
    sue's was in mount vernon, ny - outside of nyc limits. what they were shut down i do not know. papi, based on some of the girls that i met that used to work there years back you would have liked the selection. sin city i believe was shut down due to one of the dancers selling heroin to an undercover. you also would have liked their selection of girls.
  • rattdog
    6 years ago
    looks like im going to hate this mayor as much as i hated giuliani. both pieces of shit.
  • rickdugan
    6 years ago
    @Papi: This isn't about affordable housing. In fact, property values - and rents - will likely go up in buidlings around closed clubs. NYC has been trying to close these clubs for 20 years. Nanny state types and feminazis (which are disproportionately represented in NYC politics), community leaders, building owners and property developers all want to see the clubs gone.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    "... sue's was in mount vernon, ny - outside of nyc limits. what they were shut down i do not know. papi, based on some of the girls that i met that used to work there years back you would have liked the selection. sin city i believe was shut down due to one of the dancers selling heroin to an undercover. you also would have liked their selection of girls ..." That's why I know about these two NY clubs and hardly about any others :)
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion