tuscl

"Sometimes when I am in the south I see things in bumper stickers, I read things

CJKent (Banned)
“The more a person needs to be right, the less certain he is...”
Sunday, June 10, 2018 11:50 AM
Title says it all.

79 comments

• WPBpl
    6 years ago
    Sometimes when I am in California, I see things on bumper stickers, I read things in their newspapers where I think “we may need to fight the Cold War against communism again”
  • galiziabob.sabbatical
    6 years ago
    ^^^haha spot on!
  • 4got2wipe
    6 years ago
    No disrespect CJKent, but why are you visiting the south if you're offended by their bumper stickers? WPBpl and galiziabob, same question but substituting "California" for "the south" and adding a second question: have you looked up the definition of "communism"? I'm sure the Wikipedia article on communism is aces! ;)
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    No disrespect 4got, but why should any U.S. citizen feel like they have to justify wanting to visit anywhere in our great country that they wish?
  • CJKent (Banned)
    6 years ago
    4got2**** It is a joke from a stand up comedy cd one of my algebra students shared with us after class.
  • rickdugan
    6 years ago
    CA is really not my favorite state to visit. The guys are just too damned weird and over-emotional. I visit the state once per year, but I'm eager to leave just about the second I arrive.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    ^ What are the odds that Jack is going to post an article about CJKent and one of his algebra students.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^I doubt that the guy has enough game to get himself in trouble with a student;)
  • Lord_Cthulhu
    6 years ago
    "we may need to have the civil war again." Indeed. The time would be easy to know, for then mankind would have become as the Great Old Ones; free and wild and beyond good and evil, with laws and morals thrown aside and all men shouting and killing and revelling in joy. Then the liberated Old Ones would teach them new ways to shout and kill and revel and enjoy themselves, and all the earth would flame with a holocaust of ecstasy and freedom.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    @Lord Chalupa Where did you get that avatar? It looks familiar.
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    Civil war never really ended. Reconstruction, the federal occupation, ended 100 years too early. Extremely Good: [view link] Born Again Christianity is just the South's Pro-Slavery religion repackaged, no longer regional, and no longer racially discriminatory. In 1980 when Reagan started his campaign in the Mississippi Delta, the area where the voting rights workers had been killed, and he spoke about "State's Rights", he was endorsing the Confederacy. Communism needs some updating, but it is alive and well. The Cold War was really against Russia and China. You can't make a war against a political theory. SJG Hitler's Ratline & the Nazi Cult in Diaspora [view link] Robin Trower - Too Rolling Stoned [view link] Robin Trower - Bridge Of Sighs (Full Album) HQ Sound [view link] Robin Trower - Full Concert - Rockpalast Crossroads, Bonn - 2005 [view link]
  • Bj99
    6 years ago
    @ flag lol.
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    ^^^^ Primeval extraterrestrial origins. SJG
  • BurlingtonHoFactory
    6 years ago
    Everyone's comments in this thread are amusing. I love WPBpl's response. And Lord_Cthulhu's selfie is much appreciated. This thread was a joke, of course, but here's a serious question (since no one on the internet can resist talking about the Civil War anyway): If we hadn't fought the Civil War, when do you think slavery would have ended in America on its own? By the end of the nineteenth century, all the nations of the western hemisphere (and the entire Western World) had given up slavery. Brazil and Cuba were the last holdouts. Only the US and Haiti ended slavery because of a war or rebellion; all the other countries ended the practice of slavery peacefully. I've always wondered about this. When do you think slavery would have ended in America if it had been allowed to die on its own?
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    Never! Some argue that in various ways it is still going on to this day. SJG
  • BurlingtonHoFactory
    6 years ago
    ^^^ I'm talking about real chattel slavery. Not just some bullshit where a college student complains about being triggered or offended by someone else's white-maleness or whatever
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    ^^^^ You act like racism being displayed in social situations is meaningless. And remember, what made the Civil War unavoidable was when at the 1860 Democratic Convention, Southerners demanded a slave code for the west. This means territories not yet become states. When they did not get this, they followed the lead of the Senator from Mississippi and walked out of the convention, splitting the Democratic Party, and guaranteeing that the new Republican Party, an anti-slavery party, would win. And so by the inauguration, 7 states had already announced their intent to succeed and had taken over all post offices and federal court houses. It was the secessionists that started the war. Then later they announced their plans of conquering all of Mexico, Central American, The Carribean, and South America, and building a slave worked empire. Even after the war there was a community of Confederate Exiles living in Veracruz. But Mexico, having obtained its independence and having outlawed slavery, they did not want them. They deported them back to the United States. In the incarceration system and the high arrest rate, we still have something like Jim Crow going on to this day. And many many blacks live to this day in an underclass, outside of livable wage employment, and with no end in sight. The only way this might change is via armed insurrection, which I believe is warranted. SJG
  • BurlingtonHoFactory
    6 years ago
    @san_jose_guy, Words have meaning. When I say slavery, I mean a system where one person is legally allowed to own another person against that person's will. Racism is not the same as slavery. Racial violence is not the same as slavery. Working for low wages is not the same as slavery. The Drug War is not the same as slavery. Mass incarceration is not the same as slavery. Even Jim Crow was not the same as slavery. So when would actual slavery have ended in America if we had not fought the War?
  • ime
    6 years ago
    @burlington you know he isn't going to give you an answer right? he is just going to parrot the same shit again and again
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    It never would have ended. Slave owners started the war. If they had won, they would have been running a slave empire which went all the way through to the tip of South America. If they did not need slaves anymore, then they would have exterminated them in gas chambers. SJG
  • ime
    6 years ago
    SJG tell us how this armed insurrection is going to work. You realize living in your rich neighborhood you are the first to go if it ever happened. You progressive liberals are so racist it is incredible.
  • Mate27
    6 years ago
    ^*^ You got to be fucking kidding, you fucking idiot? Right?? Seriously this guy is a professional victim; SJG.
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    Replying to flagooner, about Lord_Cthulhu: The Necronomicon & Government Occult True Believers with Peter Levenda [view link] SJG
  • daddyfatsack
    6 years ago
    This thread is what happens when unintellectual people are given the opportunity to speak on subjects requiring depth of thought and nuance. Basically the comments section of any Yahoo, Fox News, NY Times, etc article.
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    ^^^^ You are describing to a tee Reason Magazine and the American Right. SJG
  • BurlingtonHoFactory
    6 years ago
    @san_jose_guy, You know what? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and let's assume for now that slavery would never have ended in the southern States. In other words, it literally would still be going on in 2018, and America would somehow be the very last place in the entire Western World that still allows this practice. (Forget for the moment how crazy this sounds.) So my next question is: why? What makes America so different from all the other slave societies that willingly gave up their slaves throughout the 19th century? Consider that, out of all the slaves that were shipped across the Atlantic Ocean, only 3% of them even ended up in the 13 colonies or in the United States. So obviously other countries were huge slave consumers, too. Why would this still be legal here in America when it was outlawed elsewhere?
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    SJG was actually able to suck someone into a debate.
  • Bj99
    6 years ago
    ^ it’s a Burlington/SJG thing. They do that.
  • rickdugan
    6 years ago
    Thank goodness the party of freedom, the Republican Party, stepped in to free the slaves. ;)
  • skibum609
    6 years ago
    Slavery would have died out on its own as the world became more mechanized. SJG proves that he is ignorant daily, but this is him at his worst and a perfect example of why I consider progressives enemies. Largest group of ignorant, hateful bigots in the western world. Dishonest as well.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    Wasn't the FOSTA Bill enacted because slavery still exists today?
  • Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    I guess things moved off the original topic. I’ve spent some time traveling in the south eastern USA - and it can appear that certain folks hold on to history (and a continued belief that the Confederacy was correct). I’m sure there are other places where folks continue to cling to the past as well. It’s just the way some folks are. One of our members - who thinks he’s progressive - still spews the same crap daily. He calls us chumps - because we pay for strip club services that he was soured to many many years ago.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    Well I’m from the South and I’m not giving up my nukes!
  • skibum609
    6 years ago
    South Florida, which is in the South, technically, is more liberal than many areas in the North and East.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^still not giving up my nukes ;)
  • Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    That’s where I get thrown off! Florida isn’t part of the south? Wtf? It’s pretty far south to me...
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    North Florida is certainly part of the south. South Florida is part of Cuba.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^Fucking gringo
  • BurlingtonHoFactory
    6 years ago
    I have no idea when slavery would have ended. I was just using the question to get SJG to think about how he really feels about America. I know sometimes it's difficult to take SJG seriously, but there are actually lots of people out there who seem to share his opinions (perhaps not to such a radical extent, but still, they're out there). They give America absolutely no credit for all the ways in which it is uniquely good, while nonetheless blaming America for all the ways in which it's just as bad as every other country.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^I don’t agree with you at all, I think you have a bunch, that says if you don’t do what I say you don’t love your country, idiots on bothe ends of the political spectrum are always painting anything that is contrary to their views as unpatriotic. That unpatriotic!!!!
  • skibum609
    6 years ago
    Someone earlier made a comment about States rights essentially being a euphemism employed by Republicans/conservatives/ southerners. I call absolute bullshit on that, since both sides argue states rights. Examples? Minimum wage laws that exceed the Federal Minimum. Medical marijuana. recreational; Marijuana. Both illegal under Federal law. new bill submited in congress by a Senator from Colorado and the esteemed pos fraud Lizzy Warren to allow states that sell marijuana to exempt out of Federal banking laws and regulations that prohibit using credit cards, banks etc. in the marijuana business.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    @Cashman I know of the chump you are speaking about, he is no progressive, he is a nihilist, and a complete and utter moron.
  • BurlingtonHoFactory
    6 years ago
    @twentyfive, Yeah I know what you mean. But I look at it in a slightly different way. Most Americans love or like their country and they want to defend it in the same way that they like their house and they want to defend their house from the elements and from intruders. To them, America is the place where they were born and/or the place where they live, which in their mind makes it special to them. I think this description applies to probably 90% of the so-called patriots, regardless of political orientation. But to me, America is an idea, an experiment in radical individualism and self-governance. That's a lot more significant to me than merely the place where I hang my hat at night. So I guess I'm just as bad as these folks you're complaining about; because to me, if you say that you love America, but you don't love the *idea* of America... then you don't really love America.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^you make my point totally who the fuck do you or anyone else think they are to tell me what or whom I love, you talk a lot of shit but what have you done for your country, that is the point. Have you served in the armed forces, done any volunteer work, contributed to any cause that is worthwhile, I mean really who thinks they have the right to question my live of country, REALLY.
  • BurlingtonHoFactory
    6 years ago
    @twentyfive, A) I didn't mean you personally. It's just a figure of speech; B) I did basically admit that, by your standards, I'm in the same category as all the other people who claim to know who loves their country; C) I reject the whole idea that you need to serve in the military or do charity work in order to prove that you love your country. The entire point of America is that you aren't required to sacrifice yourself for the good of the community.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^I see that makes you a leech, if you have a genuine love for something you give what you can, but no matter how much you give you get back much more. Truthfully my point is correct, if you are a patriot, you wouldn’t question the patriotism of others that disagree with you, you’d accept that as the standard, if you can’t do that you are no patriot.
  • BurlingtonHoFactory
    6 years ago
    How does that make me a leech? My taxes pay the salaries of the soldiers, right? Besides, there are plenty of essential things beyond just the military and charities. For example, we all need food, clothing, and shelter. So by your definition, if I someone doesn't spend their days growing food, making clothes, or building houses, then they're a leech, too. It seems like a slippery slope to me. And actually, I have done some charity work. But I don't think that makes a person patriotic.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^It was basically an example of following your logic where you think you have a right to the benefits of the American experiment. I don’t actually think you are a leech, but my point struck home for you. Reread my last sentence, you’re a smart guy it’ll make sense to you.
  • BurlingtonHoFactory
    6 years ago
    I understand what you're saying, I just don't agree. In any other country, a patriot is someone who loves the place where they live. But America is unique because it's based on a philosophical concept, not on geography. So if you don't agree with the philosophical concept, then you don't really love America. And most people don't really agree with the concept, deep down. That's my theory, anyway. As for who's entitled to the benefits of the American experiment, I would say everyone who is able to get here is entitled to it. The benefit isn't welfare or social security or whatever. The benefit is simply the right to live a free and peaceful life here. Luckily many other countries have decided to imitate our way of life and the world is a better place for it.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    Huh? You are fucking delusional.
  • rickdugan
    6 years ago
    Dems want to take away your guns,;Republicans are perfectly fine with you keeping them. The first thing almost every authoritarian government has ever done is to disarm the populace. Dems want to take away your economic freedoms through taxation and redistribution; Republicans want you to keep your money and your economic freedoms. The second thing almost every authoritarian government has ever done to maintain control is to make the populace economically dependent upon it. Dems seek to control various aspects of your life through Nanny state regulations; Republicans favor limited government. Which sounds more authoritarian to you? Dems do not trust their constituents to make their own sound educational choices; Republicans believe in school vouchers and other school choice initiatives. Dems do not trust their own constituents to nominate a Presidential candidate, hence the Super-delegate system designed to take the choice out of the hands of their voters; Republicans leave it in the hands of the voters. I could go on, but you get the picture. Sadly, there are an amazing number of people out there who actually want nothing more than to be taken care of by someone else. I even knew a person once who wished that she had her career choice tattooed on her leg so that she would know what she is supposed to be doing - and this was a highly educated woman. Thank goodness for the resurgence of the party of freedom.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^you haven’t had an original thought in your life, you repeatedly post right wing talking points not Republican statements, you aren’t a Republican you’re just a right winger, and you come across like the fringe element that you are.
  • jester214
    6 years ago
    The religious right doesn't want to control any aspects of my life. Every one of those points is vastly more nuanced than you make them out to be and I say that as someone who leans right.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    It's awfully difficult to rebut Rick's assertions.
  • BurlingtonHoFactory
    6 years ago
    @rickdugan, I agree up to a point. That's why I'm registered as a Republican: because I really do think they're marginally better than the Democrats. But still, there are other issues beyond just the ones you listed, and the recent record of the Republican Party looks much worse on these matters: the right to marry whomever you wish, to take drugs, to pay for sex, to gamble with your own money, to be free from unwarranted search and seizure, to immigrate to this country, to decide whether to have an abortion, etc. I know the Democrats have a checkered record on many of these issues, too. But the Republicans have a lot of work to do before they can rightly call themselves the party of freedom.
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    Slavery and white supremacy were the central doctrines of the South, and really for the entire country. Up until the Emancipation Proclamation, Lincoln was still looking into colonization schemes, setting up a colony somewhere, like Africa, and sending all the freed slaves there. They did not want free blacks running around lose. The main doings of the KKK during its first decade was genocide, killing men, women, and children. If it reached the point where slaves were an economic hindrance instead of an asset, slave owners would try to sell them, or just kill them. SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    The South and the people who supported slavery and secession got off way way to easy. SJG
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    ^ the recent record of the Republican Party looks much worse on these matters: the right to marry whomever you wish, to take drugs, to pay for sex, to gamble with your own money, to be free from unwarranted search and seizure, to immigrate to this country, to decide whether to have an abortion,..." I apparently disagree with your stance on several of these issues, not all. But the one I will ask you about is the one that has been in the news the most lately: immigration. Why do you think we should not maintain sovereignty over our borders and that it should be anyone's RIGHT to be able to immigrate here? This position totally baffles me.
  • FTS
    6 years ago
    Student loans perpetuate slavery.
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    ^^^^^^ !!!!! SJG
  • jester214
    6 years ago
    I doubt you'll find many people outside the fringe left who really think we should have unsecured borders and unchecked immigration.
  • BurlingtonHoFactory
    6 years ago
    @flagooner, I guess I wouldn't go as far as to literally call it a right. I'm just not sure what other word to use. Certainly there should be some basic controls on the immigration process. Namely, anyone who wishes to come to this country should be able to pass a health screening and a basic background check. Our authorities should be allowed to scrutinize their social media accounts, for example, and the immigrants should probably also be forced to receive vaccinations if they can't prove that they've already gotten them, etc. But anyone who wants to come here either to work to feed themselves or to escape from violence in another country should be allowed to do so. The right to try to keep oneself and one's family alive does seem like a fundamental human right to me, and I don't think our government should stand in the way of that. It's important to clarify what the so-called "right" to immigrate does and does not mean. I does not mean the right to citizenship. American citizenship should be difficult to attain. It does not mean the right to vote. It does not mean the right to get welfare. I don't even think welfare programs should exist in the first place, but especially not for immigrants. So we're just talking about legal permanent residency and nothing more: the right to live and breathe and work wherever you find the opportunity. I happen to like Vice President Mike Pence's old plan from 12 years ago, where we would have privately-run immigration processing facilities at border checkpoints and ports throughout the country. This would save a lot of taxpayer money and it would be more humane. Perhaps we could even allow charities to pay for the nominal processing costs. And the key is that processing could be completed in a matter of weeks, not years. It's basically an updated version of the old Ellis Island system.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    You are delusional
  • BurlingtonHoFactory
    6 years ago
    ^^^ Well, you asked me. I gave my opinions. They don't seem unrealistic to me
  • TheeOSU
    6 years ago
    "The South and the people who supported slavery and secession got off way way to easy. SJG" Not as easy as you've got off here with your creepy wacko postings.
  • rickdugan
    6 years ago
    BHF posted: "the Republican Party looks much worse on these matters: the right to marry whomever you wish, to take drugs, to pay for sex, to gamble with your own money, to be free from unwarranted search and seizure, to immigrate to this country, to decide whether to have an abortion, etc." I agree that the Republican Party has drifted far from its Libertarian roots and I share your concern on some of this stuff. The notable exception for me is killing babies in the womb. This has nothing to do with religious conviction, but rather the belief that anything that has a heartbeat is alive and babies shouldn't be killed just because adults desire a convenient solution to their bad decisions. But all of that aside, I'd rather be arguing these types of issues than the fundamental rights to self defense and personal freedoms. The only reason our system of checks and balances works is because there is a populace that can and will fight back if a tyrant tries to remove those checks and balances. Once a populace is disarmed and weakened by dependence and the constant need to acquire basic sustenance, then we get things like Cuba, Venezuela, Russia, North Korea, etc.,etc.
  • rickdugan
    6 years ago
    ^Just to add to the above, anyone who is a parent and who listened to that fetal heartbeat knows what I'm talking about re: abortion. I have 3 kid and listened to their heartbeats several times during the pregnancies, starting as little as a month into each pregnancy, and soon after each was a beautiful baby with a full life ahead. What a savage place we live in where a baby can be killed for no other reason than being too inconvenient for the irresponsible adults involved.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^Typical weirdo posting. You’re gonna fight the power, go back and play toy soldier in the woods near your compound in N Florida, me I’ll laugh my as off at you weirdo.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    ? What was weird about that post?
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^Troll daddy’s looking to stir the pot.
  • BurlingtonHoFactory
    6 years ago
    @rickdugan, It's a real stretch to say that the Republican Party has libertarian roots. To the extent that both major parties trace their lineage to Thomas Jefferson, I suppose you could make that case, but then you would also have to say that the Democratic party has libertarian roots, too. The GOP has had exactly one libertarian-leaning presidential nominee (Barry Goldwater). But the Democratic Party has had a two-term libertarian-leaning president (Grover Cleveland). Plus the Democrats nominated or supported several candidates for president who might have turned out to be libertarians, had they won their elections: Horace Greeley, Samuel Tilden, and Alton Parker. Still, I understand what you're saying. Nowadays, there is virtually no such thing as a libertarian Democrat, and most of us have filed into the Republican Party. I'm a Republican, too. As for abortion, reasonable people can disagree, and the liberty movement is divided on the issue.
  • BurlingtonHoFactory
    6 years ago
    @flagooner, So anyway, how exactly was my statement delusional? Was Mike Pence delusional when he proposed it? Was it delusional when it worked for decades at Ellis Island?
  • Bj99
    6 years ago
    How are you guys so into this?? The op is a troll who posts racial stuff and you always fall for it. He never comments on his own thread ab it.
  • Bj99
    6 years ago
    Okay.. I see that he made one, off topic comment.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    @Bj99 Not giving up my nuclear weapons
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    South Carolina's John C. Calhoun used to say, "I can hitch up my wagon and load up my slave and no government has the right to stop me." What that amounted to saying was, "The only way your going to take my slave away is to pry open my cold dead hand." He also wanted to settle the political conflicts by fixing it so that every white man owned at least one negro slave. Jefferson Davis considered himself to be the intellectual successor to Calhoun. SJG
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^give it a rest you’re annoying
  • bubba267
    6 years ago
    Tuna fish
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    We still have to fight over the same sorts of issues, people using the same logic to propagate an American form of Fascism. SJG
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion