Suicide Stats from Kate Spade Article

shailynn
They never tell you what you need to know.
As most of you know, Kate Spade committed suicide this week. I didn't realize she was actor David Spades brother-in-law. I read an article about suicide and her today in USA Today and the facts blew me away.

According to the stats in this article:

1. 45,000 Americans commit suicide each year. That's more lives taken than auto accident fatalities and opiod overdoses take each year.

2. 10% of all people diagnosed with clinical depression commit suicide

3. 15% of all people diagnosed with bipolar disorder commit suicide

Waiting for our resident psychotherapist to comment.

8 comments

• Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    It’s a sad story - with a sad ending too. I had no idea she was related to David Spade - but since they share a last name - it seems obvious in retrospect. Sad for all involved - especially her young daughter.

Struggling with depression sucks. It’s a daily struggle, but it’s important to continue to move forward.

Taking ones life is a choice that will make a mess of many lives around you. It’s never a good ending.
  • Uprightcitizen
    6 years ago
    Yes it is sad. But she committed the ultimate selfish act with her 13 year old daughter and her sick note to her about "asking daddy". Its hard for me to have sympathy when she fucks up that little girl like that. It doesnt matter what said asshole may have done you done do that to your kid.

• Lone_Wolf
    6 years ago
    I don't know Kate Spsde's situation but I do know that drug addicts fry their head creating lifelong chemical imbalnces. They can suffer severe depression after they kick the drugs. That's why we see so many rich relativly young celebrities offing themselves.
  • shailynn
    6 years ago
    I wasn't trying to bring the board down, I was just posting it because those 3 stats I listed really surprised me.

Eh looking up wiki I guess the USA isn't that bad.

USA - 48th on the list

In comparison:

South Korea 10th

Poland 15th

Russia 17th

Japan 26th
  • rh48hr
    6 years ago
    Upright - I'm not saying what she wrote wasn't messed up, but what I will say is when someone is dealing with a mental illness like she was, she was not in her right mind. What they say or do doesn't make sense because their brain is not functioning properly. You can't look at it from the standpoint that they are rational, logical people at that point in time.

I had a friend who when they were struggling with their metal illness told me they just wanted to get in their car and drive it into a pole. Fortunately i was there to stop them. This person was normally rational and logical. At the time they had to be off their meds. I had to learn to not take what they said or did personally because they didn't really mean it.
  • jackslash
    6 years ago
    Before the news I did not know who Kate Spade was. Maybe because I always carry a Gucci purse. But clinical depression is a serious problem. For most of us, I think, depression is a short-term condition caused by unfortunate events, and as time passes the depression goes away. Clinical depression lasts for years and is not affected by your circumstances.
  • Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    I know little - if any - about Kate Spades situation. What I’d heard is that she struggled with depression - but she didn’t want to seek out the help she needed. In my opinion - that’s very selfish. There is nothing wrong with seeking help for mental illness! It hurts to think that folks still think it’s something that must remain hidden.
  • shailynn
    6 years ago
    What put her in depression seems to be several life events. I too have dealt with people who have/had depression and it’s usually something that’s happened in their life that they feel is catastrophic. Usually it isn’t but to them it is.

Reading more about her, Kate Spade was huge in the 90s. She was known for making affordable hand bags wih minimalistic style, which if you remember the 90s, retro and minimalism ruled.

What I didn’t know is right when her name was becoming a household name she sold the right to her fashion line and name to a big company for a bunch of money, then they went on to make a ton more money probably making her wish she would have negotiated a better deal. Kinda like they gave her 5 million and went on to make 500 million, maybe she should have done better negotiations and got 50 million.

Anyway her and her husband tried to create another fashion line under another name and it was not successful. People just didn’t associate her with this new line, if they would have it probably would have been popular, but how can she associate with it, when she sold the rights to her name?

Then her husband wanted to leave her, and had moved out on his own.

Tailspin ensues.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion