tuscl

[OT] true story: iPhone X gift from idk who

Yesterday I arrived home from work to find a package at my front door. I wracked my brain for about a half hour trying to remember what I had ordered. I seriously doubted that I had ordered anything, especially from Apple Inc., who was listed as the sender on the shipping label. I open it up and there it is: a brand new 256 GB iPhone X. The shipping label listed my name and my correct address.

So i’m like, wtf is this? I call Apple to inquire about the identity of the purchaser. I provide the web purchase ID listed on the label, and I ask the sales rep who sent this $1000 gift to me. He tells me he can’t provide any information if I can’t provide the billing address or billing card number. He let me guess once; I guessed my parent’s address. It’s not from them. I remember the sales rep said these words: “maybe you have a secret admirer.” Now, perhaps he was being funny, or perhaps he was staring at the billing address and noticed that it is in my area, and tried to give me a hint. IDK. All I know is I have no way of knowing who sent this, other than to ask everybody who knows my address “did you gift me an iPhone X?”

Okay, so, what would motivate a person to send such an expensive gift without revealing their identity? Also, this is literally the most expensive gift i’ve ever received. Also, my birthday was over a month ago, and this was shipped just a couple days ago. Is this the truest form of gift giving? Like not letting the left hand know what the right is doing kind of thing?

11 comments

• twentyfive
    6 years ago
    Maybe it’s a gift from Donald Trump lol
  • wildbourbon
    6 years ago
    Did someone else send you a gift from the same retailer for your birthday? If so, maybe they ordered and forgot to update the shipping address for this order.
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    "Front room DFK leads to your wife leaving you."

I've never encouraged anyone to use strip clubs or AMPs to cheat on an SO.

Front room DFKing is how you get your girl softened up, before you invite her to the back room.

SJG
  • FTS
    6 years ago
    Wildbourbon, no that’s not the case. Idk how to explain this.
  • Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    I’ve heard of women enjoying a bottle of wine - and ordering shit using their amazon prime accounts - and being surprised when things are delivered.

That’s not the case here.

I’d check my credit card activity.

• shailynn
    6 years ago
    Are you sure this is a gift from someone and not some sort of scam?

I have done favors for reps from companies I have worked with over the years and some have been nice enough to send me gifts as favors and some don't put their name, but I don't recall ever getting a gift that's the equivalent of $1,000....

Let me know how you like it, I still can't decide if I want a X or an 8+ !!!!!!

• Jascoi
    6 years ago
    it’s not from me.
  • hoarker
    6 years ago
    Did you find out who yet?
  • Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    I’m not sure how - but I immediately thought it must be a scam too. But I’ve not heard about this type of scam yet.

I’d be suspect of providing my personal info to get the phone on my account.
  • dallas702
    6 years ago
    It may not be a "scam" but instead an identity theft scheme. Perhaps the order was made by someone who stole a credit card and was trying to get a "free" I-phone that they thought couldn't be traced to them. They could have sent it to your address expecting to be able to pick it up before you got home!

Did you get home earlier than usual?

Or perhaps it was your credit card number! Did you check your credit to see if there was an unfamiliar charge?
  • FTS
    6 years ago
    It was not charged to my credit card, I would remember buying an iPhone X. But just to be sure I did check all my credit card activity. Nothing. No confirmation emails from Apple.

During my call with the sales rep, it was confirmed that the purchase was legal. I understand that credit card information can be stolen and then used to order products and have them delivered to somebody else’s house. But... I did not really get home early. I actually got home later than usual, after 6pm. Also, there are not many people who know my address, certainly no people who seem like the type to commit credit card fraud.

Idk how this could be a scam. What is the scam? This iPhone came directly from Apple due to an online order, and I didn’t pay for it. Is the scam that I have to switch from my iPhone 7 to the X? Oh, woe is me!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion