tuscl

The California gold rush circa 1850

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
A new gold rush camp was established in the foot hills of northern California. Hundreds of miners would go out and work their claims and then come into camp to cash in their gold and blow off steam.

One new miner came into the saloon loaded with money and asked the bar tender where the whores were. The bar tender tells him "We don't have any yet but there is the China man down at the laundry". The miner says "I don't go for that shit" and heads back to his claim

Next month he is back in town still looking to get laid and the bar tender once again tells him there is still no women but there is still the China man down at the laundry. The miner says "I still don't go for that shit" and returns to his claim.

2 months later and he is back again and really horny. He tells the bar tender that he is now ready for the China man. The bar tender says OK and Yells "C'mon Hank, Bob & Tim". Wait a minute the miner says "What are those guys for. The bar tender replies "The China man doesn't go for that shit either".

5 comments

• DrunkPraetorian
    6 years ago
    Classic lol
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    The California Gold Rush was a fraud. There is gold there, and it is still there. Getting any of it though is not that easy, but it can be done.

The people who made money off of the Gold Rush were the people who promoted it, sold supplies and services to the miners, and then also the bankers and real estate profiteers.

Most of the miners ended up with far less than they would have gotten if they'd of just stayed were they were and taken what ever wage labor was available.

Another reason the Gold Rush was promoted was to draw more Anglos here to be able to outvote the Latinos and petition for statehood. The last things most of the Latino's wanted was to be part of the US. They had to be subdued at gun point. And they did not really want state hood either.

The reason the US was in California was President Polk and wanting more territory to expand slavery into. Mexico and the Latino Californians wanted nothing to do with this.

SJG
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    That was a classic
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    All that remained of the Gold Rush was the savagery born of disillusionment.
    http://www.shermanclay.com/

SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    One of the fears was that the Mason Dixon line would be extended to the coast, making in run through about Fresno. Then below that, slavery could be practiced. And the greater density of Latino's was south of that line.

So the original California Monterey Constitution prohibited slavery. So California was admitted, while Texas was admitted a slave state.

But if you listened to what Southerners were saying, following after John C. Calhoun, none of that mattered, "I can hitch up my wagon, load up my slave, and no government has any right to stop me."

He was elevating slave ownership above the law and the constitution, and making it into some kind of a natural law right.

It would be crazy, were it not for the fact that much of today's extreme right rhetoric goes into exactly the same issues.

SJG
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion