tuscl

Former First Lady Barbara Bush has passed away at the age of 92

twentyfive
Living well and enjoying my retirement
Tuesday, April 17, 2018 4:54 PM
She was a great First Lady and a great American thankfully she lived a long life her passing will be mourned by any decent human being.

30 comments

• Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    Can't believe her husband has outlived her - the Bush family has been in the public eye for many decades - quite a life her and her husband have led
  • tumblingdice
    6 years ago
    God bless her soul.
  • gawker
    6 years ago
    My favorite Barbra Bush quote: “Clinton lied. A man might forget where he parks or where he lives, but he never forgets oral sex, no matter how bad it is.” ― Barbara Bush
  • Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    Sad to hear of her passing. She seemed to be a very nice woman. RIP.
  • minnow
    6 years ago
    George Bush has also lived a long life. In fact, he is the oldest living former US President in history so far.
  • Cowboy12
    6 years ago
    She was a great first lady, and a first class person as well.
  • skibum609
    6 years ago
    Given her marriage I suspect the former President has less than 90 days. You don't spend a lifetime loving someone and then going forward without them. Bless you both.
  • Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    Skibum609 I was wondering how much longer he might live now too. They were together for 73 years, and I’d think he will pass soon.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    Didn't she meet George while she was a stripper giving extras in a Houston club?
  • Dominic77
    6 years ago
    I didn't always agree with the Bushes' foreign policy but she will be missed and fondly remembered. I, too, think her husband isn't long for this world either with a marriage the way they loved each other so deeply and for so long.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    It seems kind of ghoulish to speculate about Seniors life expectancy, both President George Senior and Barbara Bush were from a different time and I respected them both unlike the current occupants of the White House who cannot even be mentioned in the same breath with common decency and just simple humanity.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    LOL 25 starts a heartfelt thread, but then can't resist using it to feed his obsession to bust on our legitimately elected President.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^^^Really says they guy who called the former fist lady a stripper SMH
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    ^ Hey, I read that somewhere. I was merely asking about its veracity. Would there be anything wrong with it?
  • Dominic77
    6 years ago
    Yeah, kind of ghoulish and inappropriate, My bad.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    I actually read your statement as more of a testament to their love and how dearly they felt for one another. My grandparents died within weeks of each other, and I attribute much of it to her sorrow after he passed. She was already week due to age but not physically ill in any way.
  • ATACdawg
    6 years ago
    I also think that George H. W. will be gone soon as well.
  • NinaBambina
    6 years ago
    "They were together for 73 years, and I’d think he will pass soon." Hopefully, because as my friend Schmidt told me, humans will be immortal by 2026. I don't think Mr Bush wants to look that old forever.
  • Huntsman
    6 years ago
    Barbara Bush was one of those public figures who was just plain likable, regardless of politics or anything else. Wish we had a few more like her.
  • gothamyte
    6 years ago
    honestly, barbara bush is one of my all-time absolute least-favorite first ladies. and i feel like folks forgot some shady parts that are linked to her life... i'll just go off and randomly vent from the top on a few: first of all, it's always bugged me that: john hinckley jr, (the cat who shot president reagan AND others standing by) is one of the sons of the biggest campaign contributor to barbara's husband, george h.w. bush's presidency. bush campaigned against reagan for the '80 election where john hinckley's pops paid a lot of money into, CIA man, bush to win. but bush lost to reagan. a scarce few months after, reagan is shot in downtown d.c..and almost died in 1981. meanwhile, that same night of the shooting, one of barbara bush's sons was to meet up with one of hinckley's other sons for dinner, (assassin john hinckley jr's brother) but it was cancelled after the shooting. john hinckley jr is in his early 60s right now, today, and OUTTA incarceration. how many other presidential assassins are out of incarceration DESPITE shooting a president, and his pres secretary, james brady rendering him to a wheelchair and ultimately it's on brady's death certificate that the 1981 shooting was the result of brady's death in 2014. isn't it interesting that this attempt on reagan's life happened so early in reagan's presidency...that IF someone like bush sr. wanted reagan dead, he sure picked a great time to do it: at the beginning of reagan's term, so if the assassination was successful, bush sr. would enjoy a full term. also, a few others were effected by those gunshots that day, who are still alive and still have bullet fragments in them and were NOT warned that hinckley would be released outta incarceration and they were not happy about it. if you ask me, bush sr. had something to do with it. how many other presidential assassins are outta formal incarceration? sirhan sirhan is still incarcerated tho rfk was not even a president and rfk's dead. wow. how is it that hinckley injured MORE people during that one shooting in 1981, injuring 5 people, yet he's outta incarceration AND in his early 60s? c'mon. wasn't barbara bush's grown son, neil bush involved in the savings and loans scandals of the 80s? what was his punishment for that? and barbara bush's other grown son, marvin was on the board of directors of a company that was in charge of security at The World Trade Center during 9/11/01. meanwhile barbara bush's other grown son, george was president during 9/11/01 where we lost over 3,000 americans from a terror attack even though a memo clearly stated that bin laden was planning an attack. why not re-secure the world trade center, where george's brother and barbara's son is on the board for their security especially since bin laden hit the wtc in '93? then her other grown son, jeb, the former governor of florida is caught up in the florida recount during bush v. gore and the election of 2000. barbara bush's maiden name is pierce. she's related to our 14th president pierce. how can one lady attached to the white house through relatives, as a wife and a mother at the same time be indirectly so hurtful to our nation? she's the matriarch of this family. this is the same tone-deaf barbara bush who publicly said the katrina evacuees in houston were better off than during pre-katrina in 2006. hurricane katrina, which was poorly handled by her grown son, george. one woman, barbara bush had direct access to the white house for at least 20 years / a generation: 8 years during reagan, 4 years during bush sr, and 8 years during bush jr. and as a first lady with that much extraordinary direct access, what has she accomplished? what has she accomplished after she left the white house? she just stands-by as her husband sexually assaults women left and right with his "copperfield/cop-a-feel" jokes. i have to laugh at some of yall saying her and bush sr have this great love story....
  • BurlingtonHoFactory
    6 years ago
    It's funny how politics works: people who once threw darts at pictures of the Bush family are now praising each of them as dignified statesmen and American icons. All it takes is the passage of time and the election of someone else from the same party. George W. Bush was compared to Hitler more often during his tenure than any other president (at least until Obama and Trump came along and broke W.'s long-standing record for "Most Egregious Hitler Comparisons in a Single Presidential Administration"). So it's really hard to take people seriously when they spend 8 years telling us how awful and evil the Bush family is, only to hear the same people wax nostalgic for the Bush clan now, just because of the sub-literate orange jackass who currently occupies the oval office. You can't compare someone to Hitler and then turn around and say that he's "a decent human being with whom I happened to have a few disagreements", to quote one Democrat I saw on tv last night. 8 years ago, the Bush family was Satan-spawn, but now Bush 41 is a dignified statesman, Bush 43 is a decent guy, and his deceased mother is a saint. Right. My prediction: we are no more than 8 to 16 years away from the complete rehabilitation of Donald Trump's image. As soon as we get the next Republican president, the left will look back with nostalgia on Trump's presidency and describe him as a well-meaning man who loved his country... unlike the current crop of Republicans who, we will be told, are just a bunch of corrupt fanatics. Oh, and by the way, I wish it were true that George had met Barbara at a strip club: it would help to humanize them. But as it stands, Melania is the closest thing to a literal sex worker that we've ever had in the White House.
  • gothamyte
    6 years ago
    for real, yall, give props to someone like first lady rose carter. you can hate her husband, president jimmy carter. but rose was out there in her retirement years helping to build homes beside her husband. after the white house. please salute that. recognize that. where at least nancy reagan, you may not like her or her husband or his presidency, she tried with the "don't do drugs" campaign. sure, it wasn't that successful, but she tried something. and later, out of the white house she tried to support stem-cell research. give props to a first lady for evolving on that issue and at least doing something like that publicly. what has barbara done, a woman who was both wife and mother to a president? i remember bush sr golfing a lot during his 4 years. the way i remember it, she was ready to get outta being first lady and seemed relieved that bush sr. didn't win. i'm not gloating over her passing. i'm just not seeing how folks keep saying she was so awesome as a first lady. there's a lot of underlying damage that's indirectly linked to her as a matriarch, she needs to bear that responsibility too.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    Sounds like a few that weren’t loved as babies !
  • gothamyte
    6 years ago
    it also bothers me, how this should've been a bigger news story: bush jr. was flat-out drunk at the 2008 olympics WHILE he was still our president [view link] barbara bush's son. this is the type of kids she puts on the world stage. my moms wouldn't. this one did. and this is who everyone is saying is so cool. not gloating over her death. IJS, yall are setting the bar real low for this woman. yall set the bar real low for some people and sky-high for others. mother of marvin bush who worked in companies that were in charge of security at the world trade center, united airlines and dulles international airport while brother george was president. she's the matriarch. yall giving her props? you can hate hillary clinton to death. go ahead. but the fact is: hillary has lived 3 lifetimes: been a first lady, been a senator and secretary of state. most of us can't accomplish any of those single things in one lifetime. hillary did 3. and she ran for president. sure, she failed and i didn't vote for her, but you can hate bill. you can hate hillary. you can hate. but you gotta respect. i gotta respect hillary as a first lady who did SOMETHING after the white house. props to betty ford, wife of president ford for overcoming addiction and trying to help out folks by establishing the betty ford center. alls i'm saying is: nobody's perfect. but some of these first ladies have left a legacy after the white house. that's a true first lady. you can hate their husband or their husband's politics. but to get my props, you gotta do something after the white house. and keep your kids in check, even if they're grown. but yall gushing over barbara bush? really?
  • gothamyte
    6 years ago
    i don't mind being the single voice from left-field sometimes. especially not on this. not gloating over her death tho...
  • gothamyte
    6 years ago
    days later and i'm still mystified how folks could feel like grandma bush was such a awesome first lady. her grand daughter barbara is mad hot, tho. i'd tap. what about when grandma bush said she didn't think anymore bushes need to run for president when she was speaking about jeb bush? tho i totally agree with her, she, as a former first lady, shouldn't say that publicly especially about her kids. i don't think the other bush presidents said that, publicly. i don't think laura bush would say that. i don't think any other living first lady like rose carter or anyone not running for office would publicly say that. why do we give barbara bush a pass? that was just wrong to say. especially as dude's moms. tho it's totally correct, what she said, i mean, damn, don't say that when you're related to the guy. i got nothing against grandma bush. i'm just clueless why folks give her a certain stature that i feel she hasn't earned and that anyone else in her place, given what she's been given would've done better?
  • BurlingtonHoFactory
    6 years ago
    @gothamyte, Like I said a few days ago, the reason certain people have elevated Barbara Bush (and all the Bushes, really) to a certain stature, is because they desperately need some Republicans from a bygone era to compare favorably with Donald Trump. It feeds their narrative about how Trump is the worst thing to ever happen to human civillization. But it cuts both ways. Here's some other examples: During George W. Bush's presidency, many left-wing commentators talked about the "good old days" under Nixon, Reagan, and even Bush Sr., none of whom, they claimed, would have ever approved of W.'s war in Iraq, torture, or tax cuts. And early in Obama's term, some conservative commentators actually talked wistfully about Bill Clinton, whom, they claimed, would never have approved of Obama's bailouts and deficits. (This Clinton Nostalgia Bubble burst after only a few years, as soon as everyone realized that Hillary Clinton would soon be running for president.) Another good example of what I'm talking about can be seen when Rachel Maddow talks about the Eisenhower administration as being reasonable and as "a Republican she could support." But many of the people who are now praising Barbara Bush in the media had some pretty nasty things to say about her during the 2004 campaign. And especially after Hurricane Katrina, when she made her infamous comments about refugees from New Orleans.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^^^A very large part of the reason this country is so divided is because there are so many knuckleheads that run around on both the left and the right saying stupid shit about anyone they don’t politically agree with, sometimes discretion is the better part of valor, your mother should have told you guys long ago if you haven’t got anything nice to say shut your mouths, the world would be better served by truth served gently than this rude stupidity.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    I'd be too damn quiet.
  • BurlingtonHoFactory
    6 years ago
    @twentyfive, I don't feel that I'm being rude to Barbara Bush. Honestly, I have absolutely no feelings about her one way or the other. All I'm saying is three things: A) Her son, George W. Bush, wasn't the devil. Neither were Obama, Bill Clinton, Bush Sr., Reagan, etc. And neither is Trump. Just because I don't approve of any of them doesn't mean that they're the worst scum of the universe. When people immediately jump to the most extreme criticism for the most minor disagreements, and assume that their political opponents have evil motives, it cheapens the discourse and makes rational conversation impossible. B) Our memories should extend beyond the last election cycle. Otherwise we aren't informed voters and citizens. C) If you hate somebody in 2008 but then lionize them in 2018, you've basically lost all credibility. That's really all I was saying.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion