tuscl

This is for the younger people

twentyfive
Living well and enjoying my retirement
Going on Roger Tex’s quest which would you choose fame or fortune who here is over 50, and believes a million dollars will fix what is wrong in your life.
I’d like to state that no matter how much money you have if you are normally a happy person it really won’t change you, but if you are unhappy, that won’t change either.

20 comments

• Warrenboy75
    7 years ago
    It won't.......just as people who move from city to city somehow think it will fix all of their problems.....unless you change internally fame and fortune in many cases only compounds the problems one possesses.

Just a further thought and a conversation I was having with a friend the other night....the concept of fame........fame comes on people for a variety of reasons but to stay famous in today's world one has to work on remaining famous....otherwise you need to want/desire to be famous....otherwise you fade off the radar......and there is a difference between being famous and infamous.
  • realDougster
    7 years ago

"While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery." --Groucho Marx
  • orionsmith
    7 years ago
    I think I could grow a million dollars and successfully retire about 17 years early. However 2 million would be a lot easier especially if taxes haven't been taken out of the amount. If fame comes with the million, I could lay low for a year or two and people would forget. Actually with only a million, I would have to stay on a low budget and either grow it faster than 4% a year or spend less than $40,000 a year. 4% a year or less I heard is what you want your account to grow to still have money to live on. However if I spent all of the 40000 a year and wasn't working a regular job too, I might run out of money in my retirement years. If I spent 50000 a year without growing the money, I'd run out shortly after 70. Faster if I invested poorly or made risky investments and lost. However if I live no longer than my father or his father, I will be dead in my 60's. I currently hope to live happily a lot longer than that. In case I don't, it was nice to have a strip club web site to discuss various topics that no one else cares about.
  • Warrior15
    7 years ago
    $1 million will not change me. I think $50 million would though.
  • orionsmith
    7 years ago
    50 million would change me and most people I believe. I could spend a million a year and not run out of money in my lifetime.
  • s275ironman
    7 years ago
    $1 million will not really change my lifestyle all that much. After paying taxes, it is pretty simple what I would do with the rest of the money. I would buy a house, but it would be something in the $100,000 range, so nothing fancy. I would buy a brand new car, but again nothing fancy, probably something $25,000 or less. I would also pay off the remainder of my college debt, which surprisingly is only $4,000. I am lucky considering the fact a lot of people my age have a lot more college debt to pay off. With the rest of the money, I would mostly invest it somewhere. That would be the extent of what I would do if I had $1 million. It is not really anything significant. I would not be able to quit my job. I would still go to work every day, so essentially nothing has changed.
  • Warrior15
    7 years ago
    When I see the signs for the Powerball, I always calculate the end result number. If you get the up front payout, it's supposed to be about half, then you pay taxes. So you end up after taxes getting about 30% of the number on the sign. Then it hits me that I would have to buy a ticket to actually win, so I go on with my life. I have never purchased a Powerball ticket and probably never will. I view it as raising my own taxes.
  • rogertex
    7 years ago
    Agree with 25 - and Dougster's quote is spot on.
  • Dominic77
    7 years ago
    I think most of us have known that and do live it. But it t doesn’t hurt to get reminded of it from time to time. What’s on here is just venting. I’m quite content.
  • realDougster
    7 years ago
    @25 - When you say "younger people," do you mean yutes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu8tX2BA…
  • SneakySecret2
    7 years ago
    I mean I can buy more strippers with more money
  • Dominic77
    7 years ago
    ^true, but are you more happy? I’ve learned that spending $60 or $500 doesn’t matter from experience. I’m just happy for being able to go. Though I feed very fortunate to have had $500 a couple time so I could see that for myself. Not everyone is that fortunate.
  • Huntsman
    7 years ago
    Agree with 25. Poverty stinks but money won’t buy happiness. It sure is nice to have money but if you can’t handle it or if you’re miserable anyway, money won’t fix things.
  • Huntsman
    7 years ago
    ^^^Sorry, 25, I’m not a younger guy. But I’m not very good at following rules either.
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    My main point was really quite simple when you are younger you believe if you had more money things would be better but as you get older you come to the realization that the things that are better as you get more money are just better things. Happiness is within yourself, of course life is easier if you can afford what you need, but my happiness comes from my ability to enjoy whatever it is I happen to be doing at the moment and I personally take great pleasure in the success of those that I care about.
  • orionsmith
    7 years ago
    Having enough money not to have to work the rest of my life and improve my lifestyle would make me happy. Alternative, find a needle in a haystack job that isn't high pressure and push push push to meet lofty goals that keep getting moved higher for a boss that only plans to stay there a year or two before they move on to the next best thing. Seems to be common to expect workers to work long hours instead of hiring extra help.
  • GACA
    7 years ago
    Money buys freedom. And for people who know what they want out of life Freedom buys happiness.

But it's true that a lot of people don't know what they want so money won't buy happiness.

But on the other hand I wouldn't mind picking my misery either :)
  • Warrenboy75
    7 years ago
    How to make a million dollars or more......start young---learn to live on your current salary and save a minimum of whatever the max your company matches on their 401 K Plan........When you get a raise safe 50% of it. When you get a bonus tuck 25% away for something you like to do ( strip clubs) and save the remaining 75% of the take home amount on a good mutual fund.

Buy when people are selling, Buy quality not fads ( save the hype about bit
  • Warrenboy75
    7 years ago
    bitcoin............and buy and hold.....( and I have no idea why my laptop posted part of the comment when I didn't hit enter)

• Call.Me.Ishmael
    7 years ago
    I'll take the cash.

There's a story out there (possibly true; possibly not) that a young comedian approach Chevy Chase to express his admiration. He told Chase "I want to be rich and famous like you."

Chase replied, "You should get rich first and see if that works for you."

Even if the story is bullshit, the sentiment is valid.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion