tuscl

What is the definition of a hustler?

motorhead
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
What is a hustler? If a dancer is called a hustler, is it necessarily a bad thing? My two favorite dancers at my two favorite clubs have been called the biggest hustlers in their respective clubs by both fellow dancers and customers. I'm a middle-aged fat guy so when the hottest dancer in the room asks me for a dance, I know its just for the money. I accept that up front--so I don't think I am being hustled. I have no expectations of seeing her OTC. The young, inexperienced dancers rarely approach guys like me, so I like the girls with a few years of experience. Does an aggressive dancer who pursues older guys (of course for the money) make her a hustler? If so, I guess I don't mind being hustled.

12 comments

• FONDL
    18 years ago
    Yoda, I've duly noted the date and promise to celebrate it every year. I agree that context is everything - that's true of many terms. In business being called a hustler is generally considered a compliment, especially if you're a guy, but could be a criticism of a woman. So maybe there's sometimes a bit of male-female dichotomy with the term?
  • minnow
    18 years ago
    According to Msr. Roget: "hustler" can mean, slangwise, a go-getter, swindler, or prostitute. So, it can be complimentary or derogatory depending upon context.
  • Yoda
    18 years ago
    Lol, mark this date down as one of the few times that I agree with FONDL about words with different meanings...in this case context is everything.
  • parodyman-->
    18 years ago
    "hustler" implies a skank like davids mama. It is NOT a good thing. Except that his mama (and her ass-kissing son davids) have constructed elaborated rationalizations to justify the amount of cock sucked. But they do not fool themselves or anyone at the end of the day, the jizz runs down their chins.
  • chandler
    18 years ago
    It's in the eye of the beholder. Our favorites are great at hustling other customers, but of course they never hustle us.
  • FONDL
    18 years ago
    The problem here is that the term "hustle" has several different meanings. One definition is to be aggressive. All good sales people, strippers included, hustle in that respect. But another definition is to earn a living by dishonest means. Not all sales people do that. You might say that all strippers do, that that's the nature of their job, but I think it's a matter of degree. And a matter of how polite they are about it. To me that's the real issue when we're talking about strippers. I expect strippers to hustle but I also expect them to be polite about it. To me the term "hustler" implies someone who isn't polite but who is overly aggressive.
  • chandler
    18 years ago
    FONDL: You're right that, while the word "hustle" has good and bad meanings, "hustler" is mostly understood as a bad label. In the best sense, however, I think it means somebody who gets up off their ass and makes something out of nothing. A non-hustler is somebody who expects everything to be handed to them. A club full of non-hustlers is no fun to be in.
  • AbbieNormal
    18 years ago
    I was goint to post this in a new topic about seasoned pros, but I think it applies to this thread just as well. I went to my old standby club yesterday after the office Holiday party. Dancing a rare day shift was my original CF. She's been dancing since before I went to clubs, making her at least mid 30's, but she still looks great. She has stayed fit, taken care of herself so her skin is still flawless (no tatoos or piercings) natural breasts still sittin' up proud. I haven't seen her work for years, we just kind of drifted apart when she switched to night shifts and then moved away for a few years. We still say hi, but we no longer do much talking etc.

Anyway, my CF was there so I was concentrating on her, but across the stage from me were 5 or 6 hispanic guys. They were all in their 20's out to have a good time and some beers, but for the most part they weren't tipping so most of the girls didn't pay them much more than cursory attention. My CF went on stage and one of the guys actually asked if she was racist since she was spending all her time dancing for me (she pointed out the stack of bills I had on the stage and the two or three they had and said if that was the best all of them could do, sorry, she was going to dance for they guy who was tipping). I saw my OCF (original CF) go and sit with these guys and start to engage them. She speaks fluent Spanish (although she's of Russian exrtaction), but I never heard her break into it. So these guys, who none of the other dancers could get to tip, were eating out of her hand within an hour or so. It was amazing to see. She had them spending like drunken sailors and lusting and cheering her every move. That to me is the essence of hustle in the good sense. These guys weren't having a good time, mostly because they weren't tipping, most of the dancers had written them off. My OCF was sharp enough and took the time and put in the effort to get them tipping her. She made great money, they were having a blast by the end of their visit, and none of the other dancers lost out on a thing since they'd passed on these guys long ago. Hustle can be good for both the customers and the dancer if done right.
  • Yoda
    18 years ago
    Chandlers definition sums it up well. A good dancer wears the hustler tag with pride. It means she takes the job seriously. My favs are all hustlers. They can sit and chat for hours but when they look out onto the floor and see a regular, or a crowd of new guys, they excuse themselves, turn on the charm, and hit the floor. I know lots of girls who make 90% of their money in an hour or two during a 6 or 7 hour shift.
  • casualguy
    18 years ago
    All I ever expect is a dance. I don't consider a dancer to be a hustler just because she asked for a dance.

Now if she doesn't tell you how much it costs and charges above the normal price or uses other deceit or hustling tactics, she is a hustler.

I'm younger and around the same age or just slightly older than a number of dancers. If I'm talking to a dancer and she suddenly expresses a desire to see me outside the club, I have to determine if she just wants to get to know me better or if she is trying to hustle me. I can easily over analyze things though. It was a lot simpler several years ago when I was more carefree and if a dancer wanted to hang out with me after work, I would just leave with her. In spite of what some posters seem to think, most of the time I was hanging out with dancers after their work hours, we were not doing any sexual activity. We were just being friends. Apparently hanging out with strippers saved the life of one military guy. I am assuming that because he seemed a bit pissed off at being declared dead by the military. There was an airplane crash and he was assigned and supposed to be sitting in an area that had everyone dead. I was apparently hanging out with a group of dancers and their friends that night. I was tagging along with my dancer friend.

I was trying not to smile but I thought it was funny the way the dead guy kept going off saying "I've got a good mind not to show up for work on Monday!"
  • chandler
    18 years ago
    All strippers are hustlers if they're any good. Strippers who aren't doing well try to use it as a pejorative, but the bad thing for a strippers to be is called a Rip-Off Bitch.
  • DailyGrind
    18 years ago
    a hustler uses pressure, insincerity, or deceit to get more money than she deserves (or will deserve).

so basically, all of them.
    it's just a matter of degree.
    and how much we put up with.

dg
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion