tuscl

Phoenix Heat: Sign of the Times

For Burlington & Phoenix PLs...
'Never pull the shade down on a window of opportunity'

http://i.imgur.com/NsVdPd0.jpg

For extra credit: Any PLs recognize the Phoenix eatery that put out this signboard?

13 comments

• Lone_Wolf
    7 years ago
    Can't remember the name but that looks like the restaurant next to Thai Basal on Central. Close?
  • shailynn
    7 years ago
    Is it CiCis Pizza?
  • Alter_Kocker96
    7 years ago
    Lost_Wolf - How the hell should I know what's next to it; I've never been to Phoenix :(
    But it ain't on Central.

No shai, Cici's management has never been that innovative.

Come on Phoenix PLs. Where are all the guys who usually spout a lot of info about the city and strip club scene?

Time to show up or shut up.
  • Chili Palmer
    7 years ago
    Tommy Pastrami. Across from Talking Stick Arena.

CP
  • Alter_Kocker96
    7 years ago
    CP for the win

http://www.tommypastraminydeli.com/

CP, any good?
  • Chili Palmer
    7 years ago
    Like everything else surrounding Talking Stick, a tad overpriced but solid (for Phoenix).

Despite having so many people from back east living here, we really have a poor selection of legitimate Jewish & Italian delis.

CP
  • rh48hr
    7 years ago
    I live 40-45 minutes outside the city. I'm almost never downtown unless it's for a game or a club. Havent gone to many restaurants in Phoenix. Kudos to chili.
  • Alter_Kocker96
    7 years ago
    Thanks CP. Looking at the menu page it's obviously not kosher but few delis today are, even in densely Jewish areas.

My hometown and where I live now HAD great multiple delis. Sadly, they have all disappeared.

It's one thing to never have had the pleasure of eating great Jewish deli food, a bigger loss to have once tasted what you can't get now. Oy!
  • Mainster
    7 years ago
    I think the closest thing to a Phoenix Jewish deli within driving distance for me is Chompie's Bagels. My mom likes bialys, so I drop in there on Sundays and snag her a couple. Best thing I've ever heard there was the old Jewish geezer arguing with the pretty counter girl about "Why should I have to pay extra for extra cream cheese when not every customer is getting cream cheese in the first place?" It sounded vaguely familiar, somehow....
  • Chili Palmer
    7 years ago
    Yeah, Chompies isn't too shabby. I go the one in Chandler on a regular basis to get my Hebrew National soft salami sandwich fix, and the Borenstein family that owns it offers an excellent bakery as well. But it definitely doesn't have the feel of a Cantor's Deli in LA or Billie's in Glendale, where schmoozing with the old Jewish waitresses was part and parcel of the dining experience.

CP
  • azdd
    7 years ago
    I like the Park Central Deli, formerly the Miracle Mile Deli for pastrami. The other location at 20th and Highland closed and is now a Corner Bakery, a decent chain place.
  • azdd
    7 years ago
    AND, for a place with more local flavor, who can resist the TexAz Grill at 16th and Bethany Home? Their chicken fried steak is like a meat blanket hanging over the plate!
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    I can't speak to deli in Az. but if you like Jewish deli you should hit Katz's on Delancy St in NYC , my favorite is brisket and matzoh ball soup.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion