tuscl

Woman Claims High-Priced Strip Club Fired Her Because She’s White

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
You may have never heard of Vanity Grand, a strip club in Southwest Philadelphia, but it’s no hole in the wall. The high-priced bottle-service venue at 61st and Passyunk has recently presented events hosted by the likes of hip-hop stars Rick Ross, Future, and 50 Cent, and Meek Mill is scheduled to appear there this weekend. Vanity Grand is the kind of place where Floyd Mayweather goes to literally throw lots of money around. Well, the club now finds itself the subject of a racial discrimination lawsuit filed by a woman who used to work there.

Catherine Waterfield, 32, of Sewell, New Jersey, has filed a lawsuit in Philadelphia’s federal court alleging that she was fired by Vanity Grand because she is white. Or, more precisely, because she’s not black.

According to her suit, Waterfield began working as a bartender at Vanity Grand in December 2014, two months after the club opened. She maintains that she was the only non-African-American bartender there and that the club catered primarily to a black clientele.

Waterfield’s complaint says that Vanity Grand hired consultants to advise on business matters and that club owner Frank Antico, Jr., who also owns popular South Philly strip club Cheerleaders, texted her and told her that while she hadn’t done anything wrong, the consultants wanted him to hire black bartenders. She alleges that although she had no “prior issues or warnings,” she was then fired by a member of the club’s staff at the end of February 2015.

The lawsuit accuses Vanity Grand of racial discrimination and seeks unspecified damages.

Interestingly, Waterfield’s mother, Kathleen Waterfield, sued Washington Township in 2013, claiming that she was prevented from opportunities to earn overtime and advance in her job as a maintenance worker in the public works department because the department favored her supervisor’s son. She accused the township of sexism and nepotism, and a jury decided the case in her favor. The township also had to cover her more than $124,000 in legal fees.

Catherine Waterfield’s attorney and representatives of Vanity Grand did not respond to requests for comment.

10 comments

• Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    Of course she should be fired, she's probably not qualified for the job b/c she probably doesn't have a big booty.
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    Being serious, I see it as a bad move for the club - IMO some/many white custies may feel more comfortable visiting the club if there was some racial diversity
  • shailynn
    8 years ago
    Frank fucked up by sending that in a txt message. Get the checkbook out - settle out of court. This will save Frank money and negative publicity in the long run.

Maybe some of TUSCLs legal team can weigh in.
  • georgmicrodong
    8 years ago
    &shailynn: I had that exact thought. What a dumbass move.
  • s88
    8 years ago
    Retarded, there is no affirmative action at a SC. If you arent hot (you dont define hot) you cant work there. I wanna see a PL sue a strip club for gender discrimination because he wasn't hired to strip on stage.

One of my clubs is 60% black, 30% latina/mixed/dominican (cuz "mixed" is a racist word), 10% or less white. Another is 30% black, 10% latina, 60% white. Another club is 90% white, 10% latina, with exactly 1 token black dancer, and if she doesn't show, zero black girls.

Goto a trap house hood SC with hookah, 420 and Henny flowing from the soda gun, you are lucky to see more than 1 white girl in the whole club (and she probably is a passing yellowbone with a white mommy and black daddy).
  • Mainster
    8 years ago
    32? She probably got canned because they already had a house mother.
  • shailynn
    8 years ago
    I always thought that would be a good racket. Go to all the sportsbars that only hire girls, apply for a waiter job and when I get denied sue the fuck out of them. Maybe I could get the legal defense team of Smith, Juice & Slash
  • JohnSmith69
    8 years ago
    shailynn, wire me my $100K retainer, and I'll file suit on Monday.
  • meow666
    8 years ago
    laughing at white people complaining about no white people in a black club.

Go back to MTV.
  • Hugh_G_Rection
    8 years ago
    I smell bullshit. If she was an all around good bartender, why didn't Frank just tell her she was needed at Cheerleaders and shuffle someone from Cheerleaders fitting the 'demographic' to her club??? Of course, Ms. Waterfield might have kept the text and I don't know drive times around Philly, but it just seems like if you are running multiple clubs you would keep competent staff who make your business money, even if it means shifting which venue they work at.

Also, if she's a competent bartender I'm sure there are other gigs.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion