tuscl

Want to check out TJ clubs but no passport. Doable?

knobsnbobs
L.A. All Day
Im going to San Diego soon after my trip to Dallas (yes I travel for work A LOT if anyone has noticed my previous out-of-town questions about clubs lol) and I have never had a passport before. Can I still cross in and out of Mexico safely and check out the clubs there?

25 comments

• shailynn
    8 years ago
    If you jump a fence.

• Dominic77
    8 years ago
    ^^^ I was just going to say that. Will all of the illegals repeatedly crossing the boarder and back, with no credentials what so ever, I'm thinking it's *not that hard* if you're quick on your feet, Lol.
  • shailynn
    8 years ago
    I honestly don't know if you can without a passport.

You used to be able to cross with a certified or mini-birth certificate but that was before 9/11. I cross the USA/Canada boarder a decent amount and the Canadian side could give two shits what credentials you have, but you're not getting back into the USA without a passport.
  • Dominic77
    8 years ago
    I think you *can* get by with the PAssport Card (it's cheaper than the full-blown Passbook Book). the passport "card" will get you back into the United States from Mexico (on foot, driving, or on a boat .. but not via airplane).

The "card" is pretty robust and will fit in your wallet, whereas the "book" is big, floppy, and fragile.

Don't that my word for it. I've never had a password either. I keep thinking I need to get one too (work keeps asking .. I think they gave up) for it's like over a $100, and I keep putting it off because of the money.

I'd get a password card, if I were you. If you have the extra $$, I'd get the passport book too. It's good to have both, from what I've read. The card is robust and works better than your Drivers License as an ID when you are in a foreign country.
  • Jascoi
    8 years ago
    i'm an old white guy. from what I understand if you don't have a passport... Mexico might let you in after questions, fingerprints and photos are taken. before their new pedestrian customs building was open... not having a passport was not an issue. coming back into the states... I just used my drivers license. A friend and I drove in one time and it was no problem whatsoever getting into Mexico because we were not stopped by Mexican authorities. when we drove back into the US I had my passport (so no problem for me) but my friend had a problem using his california drivers license and it took 15 minutes sitting with the us border patrol agent and his computer for my friend to get cleared to reenter the US. having a copy of your birth certificate would be helpful I would think.
  • Dominic77
    8 years ago
    (corrected spelling) I think you *can* get by with the Passport Card (it's cheaper than the full-blown Passbook Book). The passport "card" will get you back into the United States from Mexico (on foot, driving, or on a boat ... but not via airplane).

The "card" is pretty robust and will fit in your wallet, whereas the "book" is big, floppy, and fragile.

Don't take my word for it. I've never had a Passport either. I keep thinking I need to get one too (work keeps asking me to get one for travel.. I think they finally gave up) but it's like over a $100, not counting renewals, so I keep putting it off because of the money.

I'd get a password card, if I were you. If you have the extra $$, I'd get the passport book, too. It's good to have both, from what I've read. The card is robust and works better than your Drivers License as an ID when you are in a foreign country. (Lots of other countries have national IDs so they aren't always used to seeing "state drivers licenses" and many locals will think the "passport card" is just your U.S. national ID card … which it kind of functions as.
  • pensionking
    8 years ago
    it is my understanding that a passport book gets stamped making it easy for anyone that opens it (wife, gf) to see that you were in Mexico. I believe the passport card provides you casual secrecy, if that is a concern, as there is nothing to stamp.. I imagine the card is scanned, so there is a government record of your departure and arrival, though.

Perhaps someone that has used both can confirm.
  • Jascoi
    8 years ago
    i've been meaning to ask that question when I cross back into the US. I have not been keeping track but maybe the US border agent can tell me how many times I have crossed the border. it would give me an idea just how many times I have visited Hong Kong and Adelitas. i'm sure it's way in excess of 100 times. i now have a passport card which works only for land crossings into the US. as far as the old-style passport book... I was issued one when I joined the Navy in 1969.
  • crsm27
    8 years ago
    Ok...

in 2016.... You need a passport book or passport card to enter back into the USA. YOu might be able to get back in with a DL... but it might take hours to get cleared.

The pass port book costs $110 and the pass port card is like $55 for the card and processing fees (first time users I think). You can get both the card and book for $140.
  • Corvus
    8 years ago
    Post-911 America, yea, you probably need a passport to re-entry the USA. I have done it without but had a DL and photocopy of my birth certificate. And at nearly midnight I was the only one crossing back from Nogales. The Customs agent was not thrilled, but he also likely knew just what I had been doing in Mexico (guess I had that just fucked look!). I would not want to try this coming back from TJ.

Flew to Canada earlier this year and cleared customs on both sides without having my passport stamped at all. Kind of bummed me out, not having a Canadian stamp in there. Not sure if this would happen on the Mexican border or not.

And Papi laid it out above, a passport card will get you back and forth across the US/Mexico border just fine, unless you are flying. But it takes a while to get a passport application processed and back to you. So plan ahead.

If nothing else, go to the border crossing and ask the Customs agents there. They should have the answers you need.
  • ArtCollege
    8 years ago
    If you're asking the question on this forum instead of going to the Immigration service website or the Mexican tourism website, then you probably need additional information: from the U.S. you need to head south. Coming home, head north.
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    I think it was discussed on here some time ago and the consensus was that it "might" be doable w/ just a DL but it could be a big PITA making your crossing much more difficult and delayed - i.e. just get the passport.
  • Jascoi
    8 years ago
    hong kong and adelitas is worth the hassles. let us know what all happens.
  • rh48hr
    8 years ago
    I did do the research and you cannot get back in to the US without a passport or passport card now.

You used too be able to do it with a driver's license (and be hasseled a little bit by border patrol) but not any more. And now you need to go through a process to get in to Mexico as well.

I haven't made the TJ trip since they changed the rules. Don't have a passport and I'm only in SD once a year. Not worth it for me at this time. If I lived in SD or southern CA it would be a monthly sojourn.
  • rentz2
    8 years ago
    I am always amazed that so many people don't have a passport in this country
  • MeyerRuss
    8 years ago
    I'm planning my first trip to TJ next month and have recently applied for a Passport Card (there were 15 disgruntled looking customers at the Post Office waiting in line behind me as I was processed haha). A Passport Book or Card is definitely needed to get back into the US.

What I rarely see people talk about is that it seems you now need a Visa (called - Forma Migratoria Múltiple) to get into Mexico that gets stamped at the border and you have to show your Passport at time of stamping. Since I've never crossed myself I don't know how true this is. It seems that it is necessary even if you are staying less that 72 hours which previously required nothing.
  • twentyfive
    8 years ago
    I am surprised that in this day and age that anybody doesn't have a passport, especially if they have the means to club with any regularity, that said why would you look for information here go to the state department website all of the information is available there.
  • rh48hr
    8 years ago
    Rent - most people don't travel out of the country, therefore they don't need a passport. I haven't traveled out of the country where i would need a passport since I was a kid Until now with TJ.

I would bet most Americans have not traveled out of the country.
  • Jascoi
    8 years ago
    maybe my next visit i will try without showing my passport card if there is no line. just my drivers license.
  • knobsnbobs
    8 years ago
    Great info thanks yes I did research before posting here and I have read that people successfully crossed back and forth with only California Driver License so I figured I would ask on here since there many day/night-trippers to TJ
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    People have been posting here that you used to not need a passport, but now you do.

SJG
  • nemesisk7
    8 years ago
    Its worth it to just stay in Mexico
  • knobsnbobs
    8 years ago
    Ok so final verdict: I ran into a couple buddies of mine this week and they straight up told me a DL is all you need for TJ and back if you are an American citizen. He and his brother have both done it w/o a passport n the last few months. They said I can do it no problem. I will let you guys know if I am denied lol. SO, for future dudes, if you're wondering about this issue the answer, at least for right now in 2016, is YES.
  • knobsnbobs
    8 years ago
    UPDATE: Yup! Confirmed.
    Just got back from TJ a couple hours ago and successfully crossed in and out with only my DL. Hell yeah. I didn't get majorly hassled but I did get a "warning" from border guards. Anyway, there's the answer if anyone wanted to know or wants to know in the future.
  • pensionking
    8 years ago
    WOW! After all the discussion about passports and passport card -- you did it!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion