tuscl

[OT] Tipping Uber?

Thursday, September 8, 2016 1:41 PM
Do you guys tip Uber drivers when you use it? I always do (unless it's mega surge), just like it was a regular taxi: so usually at least 20%. Want to keep my customer rating high.

25 comments

• chessmaster
    8 years ago
    No
  • Subraman
    8 years ago
    I don't .... but even a token tip is probably hugely appreciated
  • shailynn
    8 years ago
    Yes - I usually tip around 20% - always $2 if it's under $20. I have yet to meet an under drive that was rude, although some of them haven't been that smart.
  • s88
    8 years ago
    No. Tipping/intern culture has to stop. Aslong as bossmen/landlords/managers will get away with it, they will have every prole working for tips-only in the bar/restaurant/NC/SC. At my reg ratchet SC, until this year, waitresses paid half the house fee of strippers, and were tips-only. Waitresses could do table dances only, but they were very picky over customers and generally stole the dealers, athletes and rappers from the strippers and would NEVER leave the side of their custie for the night sitting next to their custie the whole night. Eventually, waitresses started selling drugs ITC, police raided the SC and shut it for a while, most waitresses were fired (3/4 of them were layed off/fired, they were way too many anyway, and since they were hired like strippers, there were too many waitresses for too few customers) and now get minimum wage. Waitresses then, and to this day, will add $1 to every item on the menu as their tip. If you make a fight with them over the bill, they will go guilting and bitching on you. That might be a good thing, since they wont come back to your table to make you buy your 2nd mandatory drink :D I goto the bar and rarely tip and get my drink that way directly. On weekdays the bartender is usually the SC manager and he never needs a tip.
  • jester214
    8 years ago
    Not unless the service is outstanding.
  • jester214
    8 years ago
    Not unless the service is outstanding.
  • LecherousMonk
    8 years ago
    I applied at Uber and did the training, but never took a trip. Their official policy is to politely decline a tip the first time, only accepting it the second time to appease the customer. Sounds as though that's not the practice, though.
  • Dougster
    8 years ago
    I've only had about 10-15% refuse tips. I've never felt like any were expecting though and I think common practice is not to tip.
  • larryfisherman
    8 years ago
    I use Uber and Lyft, and with Lyft you can tip the drivers through the app, you can't do that on Uber, so I'm assuming you're talking about physically giving the driver a tip? I haven't done that.
  • NinaBambina
    8 years ago
    My first uber drive wasn't paid for by me. The driver was pleasant (even though she was a cop as well, and I hate cops but she is with DPD so that makes it better). I tipped her $10 not knowing the ride was only $10. I didn't realize uber was so cheap. They severely underpay the workers though, so now that I'm using uber (and lyft) a little more, lI tip for great service when I have smaller bills on me.
  • JohnSmith69
    8 years ago
    With Uber you have to give them a tip, with Lyft it can be done through the ap. I usually tip as long as the service is good. I figure that's the least I can do to compensate the drivers for having to listen to a high guy talk about all of the strippers that he's gonna play with at the club that we're driving to.
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    I've yet to use either but the Lyft commercials trying to recruit drivers say "the only ride share service where customers can tip", or something like that
  • shailynn
    8 years ago
    Man sorry, but tipping is still expected in a number of instances in your travels and if you don't at least tip something you're a cheap bastard.
  • Dougster
    8 years ago
    I almost felt guilty about how cheap Uber is in Detroit. Then the company takes what? Half of anything that isn't tips?
  • TravelingGolfer
    8 years ago
    I've been using Uber for a while now and just started using Lyft. They had a sign up promo with $5 off your first 10 rides, so thought I'd give it a try. With Lyft, I almost always tip a $1 or $2 througg the app, except when I've had bad drivers. With Uber, I'll tip once in a while if I have singles on me. After using both, I really prefer Uber. Uber is less expensive (a driver who works for both confirmed this) and I've never had a bad driver with over 50 rides taken. However, in just 24 hours, I've had 3 bad Lyft drivers. One hardly spoke English and messed up my trip, one was rude and took the wrong route which doubled both the distance and the fare, and the 3rd was a flat out asshole. I hardly ever call someone an asshole, but this guy was a fucking asshole. Anyway, once I use up my promo credits, I'm deleting the Lyft app from my phone. Fuck Lyft.
  • TravelingGolfer
    8 years ago
    Lol. I'm a legs and ass guy, but I like to look and touch. Not lick. Thanks for the generous offer though.
  • 4got2wipe
    8 years ago
    ninabambina. I think you're doing some ace trolling and I don't think the real NinaBambina minds (though she can correct me). However, I'd like to ask you to leave the rimjob jokes to the professionals! ;)
  • gammanu95
    8 years ago
    Tip the driver, tip bellhop, tip the skycap, tip housekeeping, tip the bartender, tip the waitress, tip the dancer, now a tip parade. I got sick of tipping when they it out tip jars in Starbucks ad subway
  • Dominic77
    8 years ago
    Wow. Finally a topic GammaNu and the black mane can agree on: tipping. ;)
  • gammanu95
    8 years ago
    Unlike Dominic and his brothers' stereotypes, I do tip, and I never skip out or haggle on a restaurant bill. But I'm not tipping someone just for pouring a cup of coffee or making a damned sandwich.
  • flagooner
    8 years ago
    I don't use cabs or Uber very often, but I woud tip 10% for getting me to my destination without taking a long route. I'd give 20% if they make a good effort to get me there quickly. No tip if I feel I got played for a high rate.
  • gammanu95
    8 years ago
    Those surge rates can break the bank.
  • ppwh
    8 years ago
    I read an etiquette site when I first started using uber. From what they said there, tips aren't expected except in specific areas like Los Angeles, and that the uber drivers in LA would take off a star on your rating for not tipping. In the small city I was in, I asked the first couple of drivers how much I should tip, and they said that's not a thing. The only times I tipped were in cases like when the pin on the map for the pickup location ended up down the street. Since they lost some time calling and driving around looking for me, it seemed like the right thing to do. Using that system of only tipping in extenuating circumstances, the drivers and I always rated each other 5 stars, except one time when a driver downrated me after I made too many route suggestions for her liking.
  • Dominic77
    8 years ago
    GammaNu, I forgot sometimes they haggle on the restaurant bill (or run out), lol! I generally take taxis or limos instead of uber. But those guys I tip unless the dude gets lost, is over reliant on the GPS and still gets lost, and thus 3 times longer to get there. But if he's quick, prompt, with a good hustle and professional, I tip 20-33%. But I hardly use cabs so it is not an everyday thing for me.
  • Dougster
    8 years ago
    @gamma: Yeah, surge can get crazy. Yesterday I wanted to catch a ride in Manhattan but the pricing was 2.75 times. No, thanks. Waited about 15 minutes and it dropped to 1.4.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion