tuscl

I Want My MTV

motorhead
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

Remember when MTV showed music videos and ___________________

36 comments

• a21985
    8 years ago
    Now I want to listen to some Dire Straits.
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    yeah MTV sucks balls know
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    I guess they also became victims of the internet revolution - i.e. free vids on YouTube; no need to pay MTv a handsome sum to play yo vids - you're living in the past man!
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    MTv sucks as bad as a StripperWeb dancer does
  • rh48hr
    8 years ago
    Are we supposed to fill in the blank? If so, Beavis and Butt-head. They still at least had videos in the show.
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    and now it doesn't
  • shailynn
    8 years ago
    I was thinking "sex" because in the 80's when MTV became popular and was still a "cable" channel many didn't have most of their videos were pretty racy. Van Halen, Ratt, Madonna, Motley Crue, Dire Staits, Beastie Boys all pushing the envelope.

Then like rh48hr said, Beavis & Butt-head, in the 90s. I remember laughing my ass off to them, but now when I go back and see a clip of them, I think "eh they weren't that funny!"
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    and whey they were live at Spring Break
  • flagooner
    8 years ago
    "The Young Ones" was hysterical. We used to watch that at college every week.
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    Remote Control

Actually didn't like it myself - how bout you all?
  • mikeya02
    8 years ago
    ...and they had a flag on the moon
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    and they had VJs (thank god they didn't cut the songs)
  • flagooner
    8 years ago
    Amen
  • JohnSmith69
    8 years ago
    I have no idea what is on mtv these days. Haven't watched it in decades. But I'm old enough to clearly remember when they played music videos.
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    w/o looing it up - anyone know the first video ever played on MTv?
  • jsbach
    8 years ago
    Video Killed the Radio Star. Can't remember the band though.
  • shadowcat
    8 years ago
    I'm so old that I never watched it.
  • larryfisherman
    8 years ago
    I must be too young, I don't remember MTV ever playing music videos.
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    That's right bach - I think they were called "The Tubes" or something - and may have been British but not sure - I'll have to look it up.
  • jsbach
    8 years ago
    The Buggles. I looked it up already. I didn't know it was a cover though. Learn something new every day.
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    Oh yeah - I thought it was some kind of whacky name
  • lopaw
    8 years ago
    "MTv sucks as bad as a StripperWeb dancer does"

Nothing sucks quite THAT bad.
  • shailynn
    8 years ago
    ^^^^ When a female real estate agent says stripperweb sucks - you know it sucks.
  • sflguy123
    8 years ago
    The only thing I now watch on MTV is The Challenge and occasionally Catfish.
  • lopaw
    8 years ago
    lol shailynn....you silly.
  • bvino
    8 years ago
    I used to watch MTV when it first came on using a push button console with 32 up/down switches to control the cable. Funniest thing was there were only three channels. East Lansing 1979.
  • Clubber
    8 years ago
    motor, The good ol' days. But now, YouTube is even better. I pick what to watch, not what they wish me to watch.
  • vincemichaels
    8 years ago
    I'm with you, Clubber, there's only so much TV I can stand, I'd rather listen to some of my favorite music on YouTube while I'm surfing the Web.
  • Clubber
    8 years ago
    vm,

Only three shows I watch on TV other than sports. YouTube and web are like Harley and motorcycle. :)
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    Most young people today know nothing of history. Their world began with MTV.

SJG

http://doxyspotting.com/?p=97363

Mystery School
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCb3EpS0…
  • Clubber
    8 years ago
    sjg,

Everyone's history begins the day they are born.
  • rockstar666
    8 years ago
    I haven't watched a single thing on MTV in 20+ years. It's really just for teenagers these days. Just like SW.
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    "Everyone's history begins the day they are born."

Some of us, via schooling and personal study have invested a great deal in learning about history, and especially about the 100 years before they were born. So our conversation often includes references to historical precedent. We know how our nations economic system used to be more fair to working people. And we know some of the dangerous historical precedents for the direction things are going. Gen X and Y people don't know most of what people my age know.

SJG
  • Clubber
    8 years ago
    sjg,

I agree, but how to educate those that have ZERO idea of our history?
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    Difficult, but not impossible. Our public educational system could be improved. There are other ways of promoting education for political consciousness raising.

Right now the middle-class family generates its own scapegoats, playing on themes of chemical addiction, salvation status, developmental disorders, and the fallacy of mental illness. So these scapegoats serve the same societal need that cheap labor and slave labor used to.

Capitalism needs out groups which it can ritually humiliate in order to maintain discipline. So once it really did need cheap labor and slave labor. Now, the untouchable caste may end up living in comfortable public housing and with welfare and disability money. But the untouchable cast still serves the same purpose, being subjected to ritual humilations in order to maintain discipline.

So here in San Jose, the city and corporate partners work to close down free meals programs, and instead installs its own church pastors and non-profit executives and gets the poor and homeless to submit to case management. It sets up Recovery Programs.

The only dignity those whose lives have been shattered have is their privacy. But these private case managers exist in order to break these people down and make them submit. They are 501.c3 Pity Mongers.

This is how later stage Capitalism works. There is nothing accidental about this.

So the only thing which will alter this dreadful state of affairs is political consciousness raising. And this always comes down to studying history.

SJG
  • EnriqueBoy
    8 years ago
    That little RickyBoy with the earring and the makeup...
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion