tuscl

Why I had to escape my Ivy League life and disappear

jackslash
Detroit strip clubs
Monday, May 30, 2016 2:00 PM
A young woman student at Columbia University explains how she left her high pressure life, cut herself off from friends and family, and disappeared. There is only one thing that makes her story apropos to our forum. When she reconnected with her frantic mother, the mother said: "“An investigator told me you might be stripping. Even if you’re a stripper, you’re gonna be the best stripper out there,” she said to me." [view link]

10 comments

• RandomMember
    8 years ago
    Even in 2016, if a young woman disappears, it's assumed that she's descended into some type of sex work. I can understand having some sort of weird-ass identity crises and wanting to disappear from society. But her mother sounds pretty wonderful and accepting. Why would the student worry her mother to death like that?
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    Sounds like her daddy raised her right
  • Aaron_hip
    8 years ago
    What is so high pressure about being a college student?
  • Tiredtraveler
    8 years ago
    Ivy League schools are all about conformity! You are forced into a mold whether you like it or not. Men are castrated and women are expected to at least try to become try to become bisexual. Normal interaction between the sexes is frowned upon whereas what most of the country considers aberrant behavior is encouraged/demanded. You couple that with academic demands and political correctness the pressure becomes enormous.
  • Tiburon
    8 years ago
    If I ever went to an Ivy league school out of high school, I would be the worst role model. Getting straight As and not giving a fuck about conformity. Why do people feel they need to follow that when without the students the school would cease to exist.
  • vincemichaels
    8 years ago
    Hey, you do what you have to do to survive. I don't know the young woman, but she made her decisions. Hopefully most of them worked out.
  • CaraLynn87
    8 years ago
    vincemichaels, easy to survive these days. go to mexico and sneak back in here.
  • RandomMember
    8 years ago
    Read the article again and (reading between the lines) my take is the student was worried that she couldn't live up to the expectations of her mom (a medical researcher and a tiger-mom). So she did the worst possible thing and disappeared without telling her mom. Putting too much pressure on kids fucks them up.
  • CaraLynn87
    8 years ago
    randommember, not putting pressure fucks them up worse. check any intercity these days.
  • Tiburon
    8 years ago
    @RandomMember SK and China can tell you that.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion