tuscl

What are your favorite British insults?

crazyjoe
Colorado

15 comments

• londonguy
    8 years ago
    I saw this a while back. Some of them are rarely used nowadays and I have never heard of Mardy - and I was born and brought up in the North.

It's mostly a load of bollocks.

4got might think it's brilliant.

• jackslash
    8 years ago
    I like "barmy."
  • motorhead
    8 years ago
    Londonguy,

I have always heard that the Northern part of England is similar to our American South and Southern Englsnd is like our American North

I know we have a stereotypical view of our American South that isn't akways true (and its changing). But it has the perception of being poorer, less educated, and less sophisticated than the North. And they speak with a funny accent.

People in the South are called "hillbillies" and "rednecks". It's said that the Appalachian hillbillies were originally Scots-Irish that came here later.

Do you have a similar word to "redneck" for people in the North?

• ATACdawg
    8 years ago
    Of course they do! It's "Scots" ;-)
  • TheeOSU
    8 years ago
    How about "chav"?
  • twentyfive
    8 years ago
    I like "bollocks" not sure what it means but it always gets a laugh out of me.
  • ime
    8 years ago
    Cunt
  • 4got2wipe
    8 years ago
    I'll go with "load of bollocks" given londonguy's comment.

BTW londonguy, where were you born?
  • 4got2wipe
    8 years ago
    On the other hand, my joke comment, as always, is "brilliant!"
  • Imamutt
    8 years ago
    That the American Revolution was a British victory bc the colonists beat the king's hired Hessian mercenaries that were sent to straighten things out.
  • londonguy
    8 years ago
    Motor, not really a catch-all word for people from the North of England, they are just called 'Northerners' or if it is known where they come from they could be say 'Geordies', 'Scousers', 'Tykes' (people from Yorkshire) or 'Mancs' (people from Manchester).

Bollocks can mean many things depending on what context it is used in, one of which is a guys 'balls'.

4got, I was born in a well known (to Brits anyway) town called Jarrow, just outside the city of Newcastle-upon-Tyne (that means 'upon the river Tyne), this makes me a Geordie (PRONOUNCED JAWDEE), and a very proud one at that. We are well known for being the friendliest people in the U.K. :-)
  • londonguy
    8 years ago
    You know what a 'Chav' is TheeOSU?
  • twentyfive
    8 years ago
    Thanks for that LG Bollocks still sounds funnier than just saying Balls
  • ime
    8 years ago
    Chav is pretty specific isn't it? More of a shitty youtu subculture than an insult isnt it.
  • londonguy
    8 years ago
    Copied from the internet

Chav can be a noun, verb or an adjective. As in “you shitty scum chav”, or “Hey I like the way you have chavved up ya car/wardrobe/lifestyle/language” etc.

The origins of the word itself are unclear and there are a few theories, perhaps all of them correct. Nonetheless, the current criteria for being a chav applies as laid out in this dictionary and no doubt, as culture dumbs-down even more, the definition will need to be updated. Chavs will no doubt eventually, despite their in-bred lack of intelligence, cotton-on to the fact that burberry and it’s current associations foster great hatred and negativity amongst the majority of the population. This factor however, could backfire, as Chavs could consider the perpetuation of hatred and negativity as a great contribution to humanity, even if it is directed towards themselves from others.

The most recent example of a celebrity Chav is Kenzie in Big Brother. (I can’t remember the name of the boy-band he is in – so uncool – but I know it had the word “Crew” or “Squad” whatever, in the name). In fact, Kenzie actually said “no” initially to being in the BB house, but when he thought long and hard about it, decided to say yes as the word “brother” as in, “bruv-va” or “bruv” for short, sounded cool and he thought it would really do wonders for his street-cred. Kenzie is actually white, but to see his clothes and hear him speak, you would think he is black.

Chavism represents a cultural link with the Trailer Park Trash in The States which is actually a sub-culture of black America. They both inspire each other. The lower the common denominator they appeal to, the cooler they are! Both of these cultural factions are represented by the highly evolved people picked to appear on the “Jerry Springer” show. Due to the speed of the transmission of information in modern times ex. Internet, TV etc, cultures very quickly pick up bits from other cultures, bounce off each other, and this happens at such a rate that no-one exactly knows who originated what. But as society has evolved, and that is the key word, “evolved”, chavism did not happen overnight but evolved as culture dumbed-down and it became clear that it was not “cool” to aspire to anything other than basic animal appetites (for junk food, sex, cheap bling etc). Perhaps devolved is a better word!

Jordan is the ultimate aspiration of female Chavs. She is actually much more stupid than the average Chavette which is why they (chavettes) admire her so much. She is actually now trying to pull herself out of the Chav-pit she has made for herself by writing a book about herself, no doubt mostly really ghost-written by someone else, paid for from the proceeds of all the modelling jobs she has done which evolve around her flubber-inflated chest (but isn’t she a great business woman- fuckin what?), and is trying to appear in “serious” programmes such as Book Award Ceremonies. Unfortunately, she is still seriously boring as she has neglected her mind in favour of her chest , hoping that the more silicone she has pumped into those tits, the more self-esteem and intelligenceshe will attain and therefore rather than work hard and learn, just go see the surgeon again. Easy!! Her tits have now become self-funding entities (get it?) in their own right.

You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion