tuscl

OT: The Most Iconic Album Cover of All-Time

motorhead
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Thursday, May 5, 2016 3:13 PM
I saw a post on Facebook today and someone made a list of the 58 most iconic album covers of all time. Why 58? I dunno. It was such a horrible list, I won't even share the link. By their own rule they only allowed one cover by one artist. That was silly in itself. The person who made the list was into indie music and probably born in the '80's. I never even heard of most of the artists beyond the Top 20. There were no Pink Floyd covers and I would think "The Dark Side of the Moon" would be a contender for #1. Londonguy might agree. The choices for the Beatles was "Revolver". WTF? Abbey Road, Sgt Pepper, even the White Album would have been better choices

28 comments

• Cashman1234
    8 years ago
    That type of list should probably be mostly albums from the 60's through the late 70's. That seemed to be when the album cover and even sometimes the back cover were more art. With the change of format - to DVDs and other - album artwork is almost a thing of the past?
  • mikeya02
    8 years ago
    Motorhead, why are you a whale and not Lemmy?
  • motorhead
    8 years ago
    Since Lemmy passed, should I still use him?
  • mikeya02
    8 years ago
    Yes, it was the coolest avatar
  • Cashman1234
    8 years ago
    Yes. I think you should use Lemmy here. What better way to pay tribute to him than to discuss loose women and booze (and good hard metal)?
  • shailynn
    8 years ago
    Wow I gave this a thought for a minute and the 1st two bands I thought of were Pink Floyd and Led Zepplin, and I'm a child of the 80s
  • rattdog
    8 years ago
    Dio holy diver is a cool album cover Floyd dsotm and wish are great Led Zep 3 and graffiti are great too
  • mikeya02
    8 years ago
    IMO most 70's covers were iconic. 80's too. Works of art. I found frames that fit album covers and had about five hanging around the place
  • shailynn
    8 years ago
    ^^^ I'm willing to bet 2 of the 5 are Devo and New Kids On The Block
  • JamesSD
    8 years ago
    Dark side of the moon has a pretty awesome cover.
  • mikeya02
    8 years ago
    Not even close Shailynn. Yes, Uriah Heep, King Crimson, Led Zep, forgot what else.
  • dudefromsd
    8 years ago
    Scorpions "Virgin Killer"
  • dudefromsd
    8 years ago
    Scorpions "Virgin Killer"
  • londonguy
    8 years ago
    Couldn't agree more. Any list of top album covers that doesn't include DSOTM or Sgt Peppers has to be totally dismissed.
  • DandyDan
    8 years ago
    Even going into the 90's, Nirvana's Nevermind cover is iconic
  • Longball300
    8 years ago
    For me it was the first album I purchased; Boston's debut which only comes in a lowly 55th on this list: [view link] Meatloaf's Bat Out of Hell, The Cars debut, The Clash London Calling.... I think it's highly dependent on your age. natch.
  • DoctorPhil.
    8 years ago
    sounds like a list put together by some sort of leftist tha sucks george soros cock. the best album cover is houses of the holy by led zepplin. my pappy gave that one to jimmie plant and robert page when he had dinner with them. drew it on a napkin i actually helped prince design the lovesexy album covr but it was a mistake. he called me up and was all phill you made my first assless purple suit and now i wanna wear it on an album cover. so i said prince youll look like a damn fag why don't you just pose nude in front of some flowers. crazy basterd thought i was serious i am sorry for the prince cover since that was a misunderstanding but for the lead zepplin cover all i can say on behalf of my family is your welcome
  • Mate27
    8 years ago
    Zeppelin's "Houses of the Holy" and so many other 60-70's rock groups had excellent album covers since that was a big way to market the product when walking through the record store. All my friends would show how cool they were in school by displaying the latest album cover art.
  • flagooner
    8 years ago
    ^ Yeah that would make them really cool. Sarcasm intended.
  • motorhead
    8 years ago
    ^^ LOL The music industry certainly has changed. No need to have artistic album covers when songs are downloaded from iTunes. Back in the 70's the record companies must have made huge profits. The cost to press out vinyl records must have been mere pennies but albums were very expensive relative to other things.
  • lotsoffun201
    8 years ago
    I vote for Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick. Fold out newspaper. It was pretty cool
  • NinaBambina
    8 years ago
    I immediately thought of dark side of the moon when I read the title to this thread, before I even opened it. So yeah, I'd say it's pretty iconic.
  • DoctorPhil.
    8 years ago
    my pappy also taught jethro tull how to play the flute. on behalf of my family your welcome
  • jester214
    8 years ago
    dark side of the moon - iconic or cliche? To me it's kind of cliche.
  • flagooner
    8 years ago
    But it bacame cliche by being iconic first.
  • flagooner
    8 years ago
    ^became
  • mikeya02
    8 years ago
    "Big Bambu" by Cheech and Chong with the giant rolling paper
  • umissedaspot
    8 years ago
    Pretty hard to beat Svetlana: [view link]
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion