tuscl

Anyone seen the tv show, the Internet ruined my life?

I've seen a few episodes. it's interesting hearing how a single post, tweet, etc, taken the wrong way can go viral and ruin people's lives.
One of the last episodes I saw was a girl on Facebook with about 7000 followers or friends. She posted some news about two cops got killed and then clicked on the wrong emoji before shutting off her pc or phone. For everyone that doesn't know, Facebook added something called emojis which are a bunch of different style faces, happy, crying, etc, etc instead of just their stupid like button. Anyway the girl accidentally clicked on the wrong one. Everyone thought she was happy the cops got killed instead of sad. Instead of tears of sadness, it was tears of joy.

It went viral and the hate posts escalated out of control. The local news reported on the girls post about being happy with the deaths without checking with her. A guy stopped by where she worked at subway and said he could kill her. Management found out and fired her for the post or negative news without hearing her side of the story. Between death threats to her and her family, they ended up moving.

Anyone seen the show?

People take things out of context and go crazy.

10 comments

• mikeya02
    8 years ago
    What if countries had Facebook during WW2? Would have been wild.
  • seaboardrr
    8 years ago
    Nope, never heard of it. My first question would be; if the internet "ruined" their life, how is being on a reality show discussing the life ruining moment in detail a smart life choice?
  • crazyjoe
    8 years ago
    I shit at McD on the internet all the time. Is that ruining my life? Emoji emoji emoji
  • AnonymousJim
    8 years ago
    Facebook during WWII, you say: http://imgur.com/gallery/s9x7u
  • shailynn
    8 years ago
    " Nope, never heard of it. My first question would be; if the internet "ruined" their life, how is being on a reality show discussing the life ruining moment in detail a smart life choice? "

That would be called an attempt at vindication.
  • Estafador
    8 years ago
    I never heard of that story OR this show. Sounds incredibly stupid.
  • Estafador
    8 years ago
    @anonymousJim that was HILARIOUS....but in reality NOBODY would even be bombing. Everyone would be too busy trying to get likes and posting cat videos to worry about war.
  • Estafador
    8 years ago
    @shailynn their lives is already ruined. It's public knowledge. What else can happen to these people. At least according to THIS story, they're trying to make sure people understand how this was an accident that humans definetely over reacted to. In hindsight though, unless your a big time celebrity with plenty of money to protect you from death threats, when you have a big following, mind your manners and watch what you say. Chris Brown got away with slapping Rihanna.....eventually after all
  • sharkhunter
    8 years ago
    Estafador is correct. Basically people's lives were ruined after one post or tweet taken incorrectly and it went viral in a bad way. People lost jobs, got death threats, had to move in some cases. Their lives were ruined and they couldn't get their side of the story out because they had been demonized or become a victim of the internet mob.

Here's a link to episodes.
    http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/the-inter…
  • shailynn
    8 years ago
    "@shailynn their lives is already ruined. It's public knowledge. What else can happen to these people. At least according to THIS story, they're trying to make sure people understand how this was an accident that humans definetely over reacted to. In hindsight though, unless your a big time celebrity with plenty of money to protect you from death threats, when you have a big following, mind your manners and watch what you say. Chris Brown got away with slapping Rihanna.....eventually after all"

Oh I don't blame them at all for wanting to go on TV and tell their side.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion