tuscl

A crime in Michigan

gawker
Older than dirt
During their session last week, the Michigan Senate passed a bill that effectively bans all forms of sodomy, anal,oral,gay, and non-gay - making the acts punishable by up to 15 years in prison (SB 219). It now goes to the House, where hopefully, someone will grow a pair and point out that the Supremes (SCOTUS) in 2003 struck down all sodomy laws (Lawrence v. Texas)
I've never been to the infamous Detroit strip clubs but can you imagine the impact if such a law was passed and strictly enforced?

21 comments

• san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    You mean illegal everywhere, not just in strip clubs?

Yes the Supreme Court did strike all such stuff down.

Do we know anything about the supporters of this bill? Signed into law yet, sounds like no.

SJG
  • JohnSmith69
    9 years ago
    This is probably just a step by another brilliant state legislature to stop human trafficking.
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    If it applies everywhere, then it is more about sexual regulation, sexual hygiene. We need to know more about the supporters.

SJG
  • jackslash
    9 years ago
    I'll have to say to the strippers, "No, I don't want a BBBJ because I'll be sentenced to 15 years in prison. However, FS is not an unnatural act."

An article about the law:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/you-…
  • twentyfive
    9 years ago
    Are they Republicans or Democrats and how did the vote break down ?
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    Michigan, Republican Party, Yipes!

SJG
  • sclvr5005
    9 years ago
    What a bunch of idiots.
    Apparently the law was intended to criminalize sex acts with animals and to deter animal abuse. But those morons also included people too. Lol. I'd expect nothing less from regressive Republicans.
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    " I'd expect nothing less from regressive Republicans."

I'd expect nothing less from Republicans.

SJG

• motorhead
    9 years ago
    The sponsor of the bill is Rick Jones, former Sheriff of Eaton, County. Charlotte is the county seat and is referred to by the locals as "Char-tucky". Marriage to your sister is quite common.
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    !

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Eaton+…

Between Lansing and Battle Creek, county boundary lines drawn with a ruler.

SJG
  • twentyfive
    9 years ago
    Thanks Scat- It always seems to break down ideologically, with those good church going folk who believe that they are the ones to tell us how to live our life. Fucking bunch of busy bodies that's what they really are, those motherfuckers really need to learn how to mind their own fucking business.
  • warhawks
    9 years ago

We have a situation in Michigan where they hold the majority in most positions in Lansing and they can ram through just about any legislation they want. The checks and balances are out of whack.

The Michigan voters only have themselves to blame for voting them into office.
  • l00ber
    9 years ago
    I say we actively protest this law in practice. When's the next Detroit tuscl meetup? Wongy, anyone, can someone organize?
  • larryfisherman
    9 years ago
    A Detroit TUSCL meet sounds good to me. I need a excuse to go back home, plus if I'm not mistaken there's some TUSCL dancers that work in Detroit.
  • Hugh_G_Rection
    9 years ago
    I'm a Michigan resident, and quite frankly the worst part of this bill isn't the bill itself but the whole 'bait and switch' tactic it got passed by. The unconstitutional language of the bill which is getting the press is actually a small rider on a bill that really NEEDS to get passed banning people accused of animal abuse from adopting pets for a period after their conviction. So basically, if legislators vote against the bill its a double whammy of now you are allowing spot and fluffy to be brutally tortured and (raped) by psychopaths. I have a problem with this. Consensual oral or anal sex between adults does not equate to bestiality or other forms of animal torture, but that is more or less what would be written into the law.

A deeper problem I have with it is that the Michigan Taxpayer will be asked to foot the bill against the indefensible by a senate and an Attorney General with an axe to grind. Michigan was dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century when voters approved of Marriage Equality, like or hate the LGBT action. Bill Schutte, the Attorney General, wasted millions of dollars of Michigan's budget fighting against this in the court, My guess is that the hard liners still want to find another avenue of attack and punish us for doing the right thing. Worse, when Governor Snyder steps down at the end of his second term due to term limits, Bill Schutte has ambitions to run for the office! I am sure the Democrats will run their normal people beholden to certain special interests, but Schutte is the pawn of the right and DeVos money and I'm really scared of where that power crazy SOB will try to do as governor. Michigan is between a rock and a hard place more than ever in the next election.
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    !!!!

SJG
  • lopaw
    9 years ago
    Lol....if I lived in Mich I'd be on the feds 10 Most Wanted List.
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    Someone just needs video evidence of the bills sponser getting a bj by his wife, then lock them both up for 15 years. That is if the bill becomes law. Anywhere in the state applies inside homes too even if married.
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    Actually it wouldn't need to be his wife. The possible law probably doesn't specify that he said it was ok. So someone could hold him hostage, video the bj, then he would have to pend 15 behind bars. stupid law written stupidly it sounds like. my two cents without knowing too much about it. I like to speculate though.
  • NinaBambina
    9 years ago
    This is kind of a rumor. It's true that outdated anti-sodomy laws were left 'in the books' when this new animal cruelty law was made, but there hasn't actually been any new anti-sodomy laws in legislation. As far as I know...
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion