tuscl

OT:How to bring appetite back after flu

Dancer_
Illinois
Wednesday, December 23, 2015 8:16 PM
I am not user of any other forums, so I will have to ask here, lol. Lately I had really bad flu, which lasted for a week or so. When I am sick, I don't eat at all, I can't really get hungry. However, I am never sick for more than 2-3 days, dunno wtf has happened. So it's been the 5th day since I got rid of flu but still can't eat anything. Like, literally, I force myself for a salad once a day and that's it. And I am not able to finish even this damn salad, I make myself eat half and try to come back to it in a half an hour. When I attempt to eat anything heavier, I feel like I just stuffed 5 big-macs inside my mouth. So thanks to it, I am incredible weak all the time. And I already was medically slightly underweight, no idea about my weight now, so don't want to lose more pounds. Advices, anyone? :(

23 comments

• JohnSmith69
    9 years ago
    I researched the medical benefits of marijuana recently. Among its many uses is to treat a condition where patients loose all of their appetite. As anyone who has ever had the munchies can testify, weed works great to treat this condition. So my advice is get high. Even if you don't get hungry, you'll still feel better.
  • georgebailey
    9 years ago
    Are you underweight. If you're concerned, you need to see a healthcare professional and get medical advice. You need calories to survive.
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    I dunno, salads are a lot of chewing. Try some pasta.
  • vincemichaels
    9 years ago
    Flu always sucks, big time.Time is the cure. My sympathies, Dancer95.
  • georgebailey
    9 years ago
    ^^^^ Getting high....it can't hurt. I would try this if I had weed.
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
    Sorry to hear that dancer. Hope you feel better soon
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    Did someone say 5 Big Macs? This is Juice's wet dream. 4 is my limit.
  • Confucious
    9 years ago
    If you had the flu, your body probably lost a lot of electrolytes. Soup and gatorade should help. Maybe some boiled potatoes, cabbage, and vegetables too. [view link]
  • Corvus
    9 years ago
    Soup.
  • shadowcat
    9 years ago
    Yeah. Soup & ice cream.
  • PhantomGeek
    9 years ago
    Soup's a great suggestion. You might want to try out Ensure and some other drinks that are high in proteins, vitamins, and what-not. Sure, they won't give your body a lot of bulk to work with, but at least it'll give your body a chance to absorb some of the nutrients that you'll need.
  • ATACdawg
    9 years ago
    I agree. Salads are high roughage and low calorie. That makes them very filling and low calorie which is exactly what you don't want. Go with pasta, from spaghetti with marinara or meat sauce to mac and cheese. Maybe even a Wendy's junior burger. Ensure is also a great way to get both calories and vitamins into your system.
  • NinaBambina
    9 years ago
    Eat things that are easy on the stomach and easy to chew/swallow. As others have mentioned, soup is a great choice. Ice cream is a lot of dairy so it might fill you up quick. Mashed potatoes are a good option, they'll be easy to eat and tend to be pretty high in calories. Similar things have happened to me, I've gotten anxiety so bad it lasted for weeks and made me lose like 10 pounds and I couldn't eat. I wanted to eat, but felt too sick to. But that's the ONLY thing that truly helped me get my health back. The longer you go without eating, the more your body will feed off your glycogen, leaving you deprived of energy. Your stomach will "shrink," making it even harder for you to eat even modest quantities. So eat, even if it's really small helpings throughout the day. You can also drink your calories. Things like Ensure can help you get your nutrition back. And drink lots of Gatorade. I also appreciate weed's capabilities of inducing hunger. It does usually help with appetite, but if you don't smoke, trying it might be a gamble. My guess is it would make you feel better, though.
  • just_the_nuts
    9 years ago
    Lol, Mo head...my record is actually 6 lol
  • Lone_Wolf
    9 years ago
    pedialyte and haagen dazs
  • NinaBambina
    9 years ago
    I agree pedialyte is a good idea. I still think for extra calories you should try Ensure. My sister was dangerously underweight and used those to help nourish herself. Or, protein shakes. Even smoothies.
  • minnow
    9 years ago
    A common medical acronym guideline is the BRAT diet: Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast. All are easily digested, have read that in several medical guides for flu, or post "montezumas revenge" recovery. From practical experience, I'd add chicken soup and crackers to the list.
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    If you lost weight, don't worry, your appetite will come back. Maybe you are not over the flu yet? SJG
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    I keep a can of chicken noodle soup around just in case of the flu. I've been getting free flu shots via the place I work at for years so haven't gotten the flu for years. Plus I avoid shaking the hands of people who seem sick or are coughing or sneezing and that helps more than anything. I can tell I'm getting sick if my temperature starts dropping and start feeling cold. I have a hard time remembering getting sick. I may have been slightly sick last year with a cold but the years seem to go by so fast. I never lost my appetite. chicken noodle soup. If you don't get sick for over 2 years, check the expiration date and either eat it or donate it.
  • beguiled
    9 years ago
    Cannabis Indica
  • NinaBambina
    9 years ago
    ^If you were going to go that route, you are correct. Indica would be the way to go.
  • georgmicrodong
    9 years ago
    Have sex. Always makes *me* hungry. I'm only half joking. Liquids, especially water, and exercise will spur your body's desire for fuel.
  • Dancer_
    9 years ago
    Oh, I don't smoke weed.:) Or, to be more correct, I can't really exhale properly. Yeah, I am lame. But I followed other tips and started eating soups and pasta plus drinking more. It helped me a lot, now I am back to normal.:) Thanks a lot, guys.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion