tuscl

Half Songs at Inner Room

IHearVoices
954 (South Florida)
Friday, December 11, 2015 4:27 PM
Went to IR Wednesday on my way to South Florida from Tallahassee and while I was waiting for someone to approach (which takes a while there, especially in the afternoon when everyone's with regulars), I noticed that the songs were shorter than I've ever heard them there. I didn't know all the songs, but the ones I did know were cut off maybe halfway through the second verses. Was singing/rapping along and then "wait, where's the rest of it". The clincher was when one song came on that I know is every bit of 4:50 was cut off right before the main hook. I don't remember anyone mentioning it in recent reviews and it's never been an issue in my previous visits, but now it seems to be a thing.

5 comments

• vincemichaels
    9 years ago
    Hurray for higher Inner Room profits. What a pile of crap.
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    I mentioned it in one of my IR reviews probably early in 2015 – I'm a professional SC song-timer – when I fist hit IR in 2014; at least on dayshift; songs were in the 4 minute range which I thought was an excellent value for $10/dance. The couple of times I went this year 2015; I noticed them at around 3 minutes which IMO is not bad for $10/dance. I don't recall if my very last visit I may have timed some at around 2.5 mins; but if it was it was some and not all of them w/ most being around 3 mins. IR seems to be well-managed and sorta family-owned; they seem to try and take care of their custies; if songs are being played too short and custies complain; I “think” they may rectify the situation – often times it seems as if the DJ takes upon his brilliant self to play songs at w/e length he pleases and management may not be cognizant of it b/c they got other things to worry about and they don't get dances – and other times; dancers complain about the long-songs and having to be on-stage too long so the DJ may try to please them since th dancers do tip him; again; if custies complain I would think management would side w/ paying custies vs lazy-dancers (at least perhaps @ IR). It could also be ownership dictating the song-length in order to get PLs to buy more-songs to get their fill; but again; if custies complain; they may change their tune.
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    Maybe they just thought you were half the man and only deserved half-songs :)
  • IHearVoices
    9 years ago
    Well, I am certainly not the legend. Must spend more time learning at the feet while I'm here. Not only were the songs noticeably short, but the cut-offs were noticeable: it was really obvious. I can see the half-song thing at 'hip-hop' clubs, but this wasn't even a case of the DJ showing some mix skills. No DJing, not even any talking between songs (other to introduce girls who were going on stage - even the stage rotations were only two songs). Lido might actually be a better spot now, even though their dancers are older for the most part.
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    I think you noticed older dancers @ Lido b/c you went on dayshift and i think Lido is more of a nightshift place - per the reviews most PLs think Lido has better looking dancers (I assume they are referring to nightshift).
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion