tuscl

Are TUSCL posts are a form of PASQUINADE.

Saturday, January 31, 2004 2:42 AM
In a sense our posts here are a variant form of PASQUINADE (i.e., essentially any "negative" [lampoon or satire] anonymous post). I found this interesting; maybe you will too. pasquinade \pass-kwuh-NAYD\ noun 1 : a lampoon posted in a public place 2 : satirical writing : satire Example sentence: During the night a pasquinade mocking the mayor's tax policy was nailed to the town hall's front door. Did you know? In 1501, a marble statue from ancient times was unearthed in Rome and erected near that city's Piazza Navona. The statue depicted a male torso and was christened "Pasquino" by the Romans, perhaps after a local tailor. In those days, the citizens of Rome could not speak out against their political and religious leaders without fear of punishment, so criticism was expressed anonymously, often by means of publicly posted lampoons. The Pasquino statue became a prime location for posting such lampoons. These postings, which still appear to this day, became known in English as "pasquinades" (from the Italian "pasquinata"). The term has since expanded in usage to refer to any kind of satirical writing (such as in a magazine).

2 comments

• TopGunGlen
    20 years ago
    Mouse, I would not be surprised if you are a member of MENSA. (I mean that in a positive way.) Romans would also write on the walls to make a politcal statement. The legal prostitues would leave footprints on the ground, with directions to "follow me" as advertisements. Gladiators would use graffitti on buildings to advertise their prowess and successes. I have always wanted to visit Pompeii and Herculaneum, I have heard they are spectacular!
  • Mouse
    20 years ago
    TGG, thanks for the kind comments. Like you, I am an Italy fan. I have been to Italy twice, but never to Pompeii or Herculaneum. Most of my time was spent in Rome, Tuscany, the Italian Riviera, the northern lake country, and the Italian Alps – BEAUTIFUL! I’m going back for more soon. I like France and Germany as well.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion