tuscl

OT: Minimum Wage Strike Looming - Fast Food Workers

shailynn
They never tell you what you need to know.
I read last night that fast food workers are planning another 1 day walk-out/strike coming up soon for their $15 wage.

Is it just me or do you find that totally insane? Now, I have no problems with raising the wages for anyone, but how is it even remotely fair that someone salting my fries at Burger King could possibly earn more in a year than a teacher who at the minimum has to have a bachelors degree? Maybe that's a bad example since some asshole will say teachers have the summer off, but let's look at other professions. Very few college graduates start at jobs making more than $30K as well as most people will a skill trade such as pipefitter, plumber, etc unless they are working on their own as a contractor.

To me fast workers are mostly college students, high school kids with part time jobs, kids just out of high school that are trying to figure out their next step in life, high school drop outs or adults that totally fucked up in life and think they are owed something since they decided to show up for work.

Maybe I'm way off base and if I am please correct me, but I've also read where in west coast states this has totally backfired as higher wages took employees off assisted living and they didn't want that, as they had it better with lower wages and assisted living, so to achieve that again they asked to work less than 40 hours a week dropping their wages below the ceiling to qualify for assistance.

Maybe everyone's wages should essentially be doubled - yeah that sounds great, you do that and prices for everything remain unchanged, then I will quickly stop bitching!

26 comments

• twentyfive
    9 years ago
    No man you are right. Just a few days ago I was talking about the exact same thing, these folks want to get paid for low value work so they don't have to put any effort into it yet good jobs in many industries go begging like in my industry(construction & trades) I believe that the prevailing thought is why should I have to work so hard for $15-$20 dollars an hour when I can get $11-$14 dollars an hour with little or no effort.
  • JohnSmith69
    9 years ago
    As long as my salary also gets doubled, I'm fine with it.
  • tumblingdice
    9 years ago
    Lynn you are 100% right.30,40 years ago I had to earn my bones.Nothing was given to me.I had to prove myself,climb that ladder.This far left attitude is whats wrong with this country and why I think Rockstar is a fucktard.
  • shailynn
    9 years ago
    Don't get me wrong I think if you work 40 hours a week you should be able to earn enough for a living wage. But when a fast food worker is demanding to be paid more than what some police officers, teachers, firemen, many factory workers, etc make then that's complete bullshit, unless those workers get a raise too.
  • skibum609
    9 years ago
    I won't eat fast food so pay them a million dollars an hour.
  • tumblingdice
    9 years ago
    What is this 40 hours a week shit.Was up at 4am checking the Overseas.Building houses during the day and working my twelve burners at night at my restaurant.Fucking kids today.
  • shailynn
    9 years ago
    40s the max for these millennial pussies. There's been weeks where I go to work on Monday and I've worked 40 hours by wed afternoon.

That's why I make 350k bitches lmao!!!
  • PhantomGeek
    9 years ago
    Hell, I remember when I was in college full time, I was working two jobs, 30-60 hours a week -- and somehow I still had a social life. Now, I'm just delivering pizzas, 40 hours a week, minimum wage + mileage + tips. I've been back doing it for 12 years -- and I'm still making minimum wage. I don't get a raise unless Congress raises minimum wage.

After 12 years, I'd like to think that I've *earned* something more than minimum.
  • 72_os
    9 years ago
    Currently working factory job at $13 an hour for 80 a week and part time trade school.
  • 72_os
    9 years ago
    Once i finish trade school i should make $20-$30 an hour starting off
  • 72_os
    9 years ago
    If fast food workers get $15 an hour then my trade school degree needs to earn me $40-$60 an hour
  • 72_os
    9 years ago
    Fuckin trade school costed me $10,000
  • 72_os
    9 years ago
    Not to mention what my bachelor degree will cost...what another $40,000

Plus their is no good reason why crazy joe needs $15 an hour that fool would kill himself lol
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    Many of these kids grew up in the world of generations of entitlements. That's the only thing they know. This is our "Great Society"
  • seaboardrr
    9 years ago
    I just can't believe the people arguing to increase the wages at fast food places are that damn stupid. The government CANNOT simply mandate wages be increased for one type of business. It would have to be across the board and the impact would be massive. Fed mandated minimum wage is $7.25. Some states of course have their own higher minimums.

If you're working a real job at a factory the going rate for entry level is between $10-$15/hr these days. A lot of places use temp services in factories and people have to work a minimum of 3 months or more before they can hope a full time position opens up. Some factories just straight up use temps full time and just work them 30-40 hrs/wk at most for around $8-10/hr.

Then you've got retail. Walmart, Target, grocery stores, hardware, sporting good stores, all your mom & pop stores, gas station employees.....the list is endless. It is EVERY industry in the nation where people are lucky to be making between minimum wage and up to say $10 to start. Every single employee in the nation will have to be bumped to $15/hr as well just like fast food. Do you really think every employee is going to get around a 25-33% bump in pay overnight without massive layoffs? What about all the people who have put in 4 or 5 years or more and have gotten up to the $15-20 range in whatever job they're in? if you suddenly bump minimum wage up $7.75 (more than doubling the current minimum) do you really think everyone already making $15/hr or more are going to just be happy making the same as the new employees starting out at the wage they've worked years to get up too? Hell no! The only fair thing to do would be to bump EVERYONE'S pay up an add'l $7.75/hr which is just financially crippling.

These fast food people just aren't smart enough to see the big picture. Don't they realize that suddenly pulling in $600/week means no more food stamps or other gov't assistance programs? They'll be pissed when they realize they have to start paying for their food. Then they won't get subsidized phone service either. They also won't qualify to live in gov't subsidized apartments. Plus, they have to start actually paying taxes now and not getting it all back at the end of the year. No more $4000 "free money" refund that they can go blow on a 100" tv.

In theory it's a great idea to give every non-salaried employee across the country a massive raise but it just doesn't work that way. It costs money to make money. The more you make the more it costs. Wouldn't it be great though if the welfare system and food stamp program suddenly dwindled by 90% or more? The problem is now fast food workers suddenly making $15/hr and no longer qualifying for any gov't assistance would start another bitch fest demanding more gov't help. It's never ending IMO.
  • twentyfive
    9 years ago
    to seabordr you are telling the truth but these morons don't want to hear it
    If you want hi value pay increase your skill set so you can perform a hi value job otherwise you will find yourself in the same position a year or two down the road when cost of goods and services are increased to cover the ability to produce these things. Raising the minimum wage will only lead to inflation not prosperity.
  • Tiredtraveler
    9 years ago
    If this asinine rule passes the fast food franchises will simply automate more and hire less people.
    When I was a kid grocery stores used to have bag boys that would bag groceries and help customers to their cars. That was an entry level job that taught you how to show up, do your job and was willing to put up with low work ethic until you learned better so you could move up to a better job.
    Now colleges have classed that teach how to do the minimum to get by! No baggers at stores and you have self checkouts and bagging! I have been in fast food places that you now place your order on a touch screen. Your drink is dispensed automatically and instead of 4 or 5 servers behind the counter there is 1 maybe two and all they do is place orders onto the tray and place them onto the counter. At Olive Garden you now can place your order on a wifi terminal on your table that takes your order and payment. The wait staff now only bring out trays, throw the plates onto the table and leave to throw the next order onto the next table.
    Bottom line is minimum wage causes unemployment because it takes away the bottom half of the ladder making it difficult if not impossible reach the ladder to climb out of poverty.
  • dallas702
    9 years ago
    Saw a report a few months ago (not on any of the major news outlets) that identified (by job, age, gender and race) how many people were actually being paid less than $8.00 an hour. I don't remember where I saw it, and I am not going to waste time looking for it so the numbers I will use are recollections - not exact quotes!

The first thing that struck me was that far less than 1% of full time employees made less than $8.00 an hour. I think the number was less than 500,000 people. Notably (if I remember correctly) more than half of those people had been on the job for less than 1 year. The other point worth repeating was that over 85% of all minimum wage jobs were part time, unskilled, entry level positions.

I have no doubt that thousands of fast food workers would rather demand $15.00 an hour than learn a skill and actually work full time!
  • shadowcat
    9 years ago
    If this were to succeed McDonald's and the rest of them would also have to raise prices and low prices is the only thing keeping them in business. Every time I visit one of those fast food joints, I get half way through the burger and dump the rest while asking myself "Why did I do this again". Take away the secret sauces and they would be totally tasteless. I actually think that Waffle House makes a better burger and is cheaper but I can't get fries with it.
  • DandyDan
    9 years ago
    If fast food workers think they are worth $15/hour, more power to them. Professional athletes aren't worth the millions they get paid, but they get their millions. What everyone else makes is irrelevant.
  • Dougster
    9 years ago
    How about janitors like jestie214? Will he finally be able to afford the anti-depressants ("fuckin' anti-depressants" as he would call them) that he is supposed to take?
  • jester214
    9 years ago
    I'm sure you're excited about a $15 minimum wage Dugly, seeing as how you admitted you only make 30 or 40K a year. Though you hastily claimed it was a "typo".
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    Maybe in New York city and very high cost of living locations, $15 an hour makes sense. In the rest of the country, the teenagers and ME generation will get fired and replaced by people with college degrees working the fast food lane if other wages don't go up.
  • ime
    9 years ago
    if this forces fast food places to shut down it would be better for the country, though that will never happen it will just bring more automation and buying at kiosks like at the grocery store.
  • chessmaster
    9 years ago
    Yeah they are dumb and arrogant. Instead of crying for minimum wage increases you think most people would aspire to do something else but no. I saw this coming years ago. This country gets dumber, lazier and more self-centered every year. All about me, me, me. Look how many friends I have on Facebook. Watch me do stupid shit on Snapchat. Look at all my selfies cuz I look so good. I mean kids can't even text full words anymore. There's a new acronym made up every day. Of course none of them want to work an actual job.
  • jester214
    9 years ago
    I can admit to not following all this super closely.

How much of a hand do the unions have in this? I'm sure their dicks get hard at the idea of unionized fastfood workers.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion