tuscl

Commenting Upon Ancient Threads

JohnSmith69
layin low but staying high
Often somebody will post a comment on a thread that is anywhere from 6 months to many years old. I don't understand how people so often end up reading and commenting upon threads that have been completely dead for so long. Do people really remember these old posts and go back to search for them to add a comment months or years after the fact? It seems like that would be very time consuming. Or are people actually methodically going through and reading page after page of months or years of discussions? That would be even more time consuming. Or is it that people are searching key words that they are interested in and then commenting upon threads that concern those topics months or years after the fact? I guess that's possible but it seems like that wouldn't happen very often.

I understand that somebody like Dougster will comment upon some System thread for decades as a result of his obsession with Rick Dugan. I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about legitimate comments made by a non-troll on ancient threads. How to people end up in these old threads to make these comments?

10 comments

• mikeya02
    9 years ago
    This one was reprinted once....it was quite memorable

https://www.tuscl.net/postread.php?PID=2…
  • FullPress
    9 years ago
    Me? Avid reader. Love the brain of the man we rarely see in real life. I just keep rolling back until I find something I have to say thinking no one will read it. Now I'm just embarrassed. Unless it's not me
  • Dougster
    9 years ago
    RickyBoy's The System is pretty compete faggotry.
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
    Sometimes when the discussion board is slow you look at old threads
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    9 years ago
    I know what you're thinking. I'm sometimes surprised too. I have accidentally uncovered discussions that I'd like to respond to, only to discover that they're so old that no one else would likely revisit them and subsequently read my comment. So, I don't usually comment on old threads.

One way of discovering old threads is by looking up certain members that I know I haven't seen posted anything in a while. I look up their list of comments, see an interesting subject, but then realize it's so old that no else is likely to comment further.

Another method of finding old threads is by selecting the "Last Comment" option in the "Sort Discussions" button. That will sometimes start a new series of comments on an old thread.
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    Yeah – I don't like old threads being rehashed either – I assume old threads are probably rehashed by someone doing a Google search or perhaps a search on the TUSCL search box for a particular subject or keyword.
  • sclvr5005
    9 years ago
    I'll wait a couple of years and then I'll resurrect this thread again.
  • twentyfive
    9 years ago
    I have gotten tricked a few times by this very thing, not noticing how old a thread is, I then go post a comment, and after I have posted I realize how old the thread is and I smack myself in the head.
  • Estafador
    9 years ago
    @twentyfive i concur
  • chessmaster
    9 years ago
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion