tuscl

OT : Uncle Tom

londonguy
Breathe, breathe in the air
Over here yesterday there was a programme on radio talking about the 'Rumble in the Jungle' fight between Ali and Frazier, it was really interesting and they were talking to various journalists/trainers etc that were at the match. George Foreman was interviewed and he talked about the rivalry between Frazier and Ali, he said Ali used to call Frazier an 'Uncle Tom' to insult him. Apparently at the time (and maybe it still is?) it was deeply offensive for a black man to be called this. Can anyone explain this insult to me?

51 comments

• GACA
    9 years ago
    Harriet Beecher Stowe wrote a book called "Uncle Tom's Cabin"

The title character Uncle Tom was a slave who loved his Masters and didn't seem to mind his enslaved condition.

Thus the pejorative in the black community -- Uncle Tom aka House Nigga (slave who worked in the house vs field generally seen as having it easier).

An Ucle Tom is a black person who is ashamed of his blackness to the point of hatred, and wishes he was a white man and is a sycophant to white people even though they think less of home (especially at the times of civil right 60's)

An Uncle Tom has no pride or dignity in himself and served mostly as an adversary to promoting the Black Equality movement, first as slaves, then second class citizens

So ya insult for at the time, it is still but there are other words like Oreo cookie, sell out.

Modern day Uncle Tom would be Supreme Court Judge Clarence Thomas (or Clarence "Uncle" Thomas as he's known)

Tim Duncan - center for the spurs basketball team- he's like the whites black guy ever.

• motorhead
    9 years ago
    I guess I've never heard that about Tim Duncan, but yeah, I can see that.

Russell Wilson, QB of the Seattle Seahawks is the guy I often hear being criticized for "not being black enough"
  • jackslash
    9 years ago
    GACA, that was a very thorough reply.

Tim Duncan was my neighbor when I lived in San Antonio. But his house was bigger than mine.
  • motorhead
    9 years ago

"Tim Duncan was my neighbor when I lived in San Antonio. But his house was bigger than mine."

Just his house?
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    Jim Brown has famously called out Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods for not using their celebrity to promote black social causes. (although I don't think he used the word 'Uncle Tom').

I just expect Peyton Manning to sell pizza and insurance. I don't hear anyone being critical of him because he isn't being a social activist.
  • tumblingdice
    9 years ago
    The term "Uncle Tom",in the day was merely a survival tactic.The closest board member that comes close to being an "Uncle Tom" would be Ranukam.
  • shailynn
    9 years ago
    ^^^ excuse me, I think you misspelled a word, I think you meant to spell it as "bored." Lol

I too have never heard that about Tim Duncan. I always just thought he was grouchy and hated everyone no matter what their race was.

I think that sucks, that Tiger, Timmy Duncan, Russell Wilson are being called out. Yeah, all of them are pretty "white" for black guys but I don't understand why they are expected to do so much for the black community. Does anyone see how much time Russell spends in children's hospitals? How much Duncan has given back to St Croix? Or how much money Tiger has spent on strippers in clubs regardless of their race?

I don't see white people pressuring Eli Manning to donate more money to the GOP?
  • JamesSD
    9 years ago
    To be fair, in the original novel Uncle Tom was more of a Christ like figure who sacrificed himself to save others. It was an important anti slavery book.

It was future usage of the character where he became a sycophant.
  • rh48hr
    9 years ago
    I think it's ridiculous when people say someone isn't black enough because they don't act a certain way or talk a certain way. A person will be who they are based on their personality, how they are raised and their life experience. Bottom line, regardless of who you are as a person, many people will react to you based on your skin color and nothing else. All adult black people today have experienced racism in some way shape or form at some point in their lives based solely on their skin color and not always on how they act. If you have been pulled over or followed by police for DWB when you have broken no laws you know what I mean.
  • TheeOSU
    9 years ago
    Rh: I've been pulled over and followed by police when I have broken no laws, on the highway and in neighborhoods where I wasn't out of place at times I might add. So would that be DWW?
  • twentyfive
    9 years ago
    good call rech I can see why Uncle Tom might be made into less than the heroic figure Harriet Beecher Stowe must have intended for him to be.
  • seaboardrr
    9 years ago
    I've been pulled over before simply because of my hair and a certain fraternity sticker I had on my car.

I think it's absolutely ridiculous when a successful black person gets called out for not being "black enough". For whatever reason you have people in the black community who think someone successful should share the wealth. There are too many examples where you see someone get bled dry and end up bankrupt because they end up with a whole community of "friends" expecting to get hand out after hand out. When someone tries to be smart with their finances and even live a normal life without allowing a huge entourage to bring them down you always hear the "not black enough" yells coming at them.

It's one of the dumbest damn things I've ever heard in my life. Guarantee the people screaming wouldn't freely give away their own money if they had it.
  • jackslash
    9 years ago
    Rech, that was a good link. It has been many years since I read the book, but I remember Uncle Tom being a better person than what "Uncle Tom" has come to mean.
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    Some people have hurled the 'Uncle Tom' insult at Obama, because he has never used his race as a justification for any of his initiatives, much to the dismay of both the AA community and the GOP. I for one admire him for it.
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    ^^^neither have white presidents
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    I think to call a black person an Uncle Tom is to say that they are seeking approval, like by accepting Christianity, or that they are even seeking pity.

The first use of it this way was in 1853, when someone spoke before the Massachusetts Legislature committee on the state militia. They felt that blacks had to be allowed to serve in the militia, otherwise they would always be second class citizens. And this was only 1 year after the novel had been published between two covers.

Then in 1865 Frederick Douglass used it in praising some black troops, contrasting them with the literary Uncle Tom

Then in the 1950's in the first issue of a French magazine James Baldwin totally destroyed anything which might have been left of the novel, in an essay entitled "Everyman's Protest Novel".

This idea of standing up for oneself, instead of seeking pity or approval was the basis of the work of Malcolm X.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zIGNkR6…

For myself, even before these drugging for sex charges, I have always considered Bill Cosby to be an Uncle Tom.

Today the novel has become of interest to feminist scholars, because of the extremely strong female characters. But for it's writer, Uncle Tom was supposed to be an exemplar of Christian virtue, being tortured to death without betraying his comrades. No one else saw it that way, and this is the problem with Christianity. Beecher-Stowe taught at a Presbyterian Seminary.

Today I think the idea of an Uncle Tom is relevant in lots of other quarters, like poverty, supposed learning disabilities, and supposed psychiatric conditions. So you have government supporting and endorsing religious charities which are designed to make the poor pitiful and to keep them from standing up for themselves.

And then you have White Coats and Disability and Psychiatric Activist Groups who do nothing more than teach people that they have an innate defect. They teach people to live as Uncle Toms, and that with help, pity, and medication, they can be made passably acceptable to most people most of the time. They also serve to legitimate familial child abuse, as it is the parents who need to have their child stigmatized and they who want to be vindicated in their blacksheeping. It is another variant on Munchausen's By Proxy Syndrome, or Medial Child Abuse.

Great thread!

SJG
    https://sites.google.com/site/sjgportal/

Extremely Good, Yale's David Blight, Civil War and Reconstruction
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXXp1bHd…

Heart, Stairway to Heaven
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFxOaDeJ…
  • rh48hr
    9 years ago
    OSU - I'm not saying it can't happen to white people, (And maybe you were just giving me shit) but this happens to a disproportionate number of black people. I've had cops who were going in a complete different direction change where they were going to follow me because I was driving a nice vehicle and was in a decent neighborhood. I've been pulled over for nothing when they were looking for drug dealers. cops will follow just long enough to run your plates And as soon as it come back clean they turn around And go elsewhere. And all of my friends have had similar dealings. We are all college educated with good jobs, kids and no criminal records. But we still are targeted for the color of our skin. So you might have been followed once or twice but I guarantee you have not experienced what me and my friends have experienced.
  • TheeOSU
    9 years ago
    Rh, no I wasn't giving you shit. And yes I've been stopped followed more than once twice or even three or four times. I had a State Trooper turn around on an interstate highway, follow me for around 8 miles to the entrance to the Ohio Turnpike and follow me for another 10 miles on the Turnpike all the way up to the time I stopped at the toll booth to pay my toll. He then turned around and drove off in the direction we came from. I hadn't done anything but I was sweating for most of that drive. There have always been asshole cops on an ego or power trip who want to roust innocent people if just to make them sweat or looking for a reason to bust them. Nowadays most cities are hurting for revenue too so cops are looking for more reasons to write tickets so really, don't think that it's always racist pigs.
    I have some thoughts on some of the other things you and others have said in this and other threads regarding racism and my thoughts on reverse racism, it's a two way street, but it would end up reading like a novel or something that kid from San Jose posts so until I can condense it and still get my points across i'll stay quiet.
  • GACA
    9 years ago
    ^^^ @OSU cute but racism is about institutions in power. Reverse prejudice is what you are most likely speaking about.

I get along with everyone, have been accused of being an "Tom" myself. Sometimes at work even the white guys have the nerve to call me "Carlton" (Fresh Prince of Bel Aire reference ) because I'm an assimilated minority.

That said, a lot of niggas are poor as shit. Mostly due to a cause of a historic and systematic system that ensured they could not achieve past a certain level. I know that civil rights was achieved some 50 years ago. But it was 400 years of keeping a nigga down. Now in 1/8th of that time niggas are supposed to have their shit completely together and get over it? SMH.

There is today a lot of black people who are doing very well, especially here in the Southeast. But culture doesn't change over night just like Rome wasn't built in a day. I do think that the USA is on a trajectory where race will become a complete non-issue. But we are still another 50 years away from this.

Also why is it hard for some people to understand that the oppressed class is naturally going to resent the oppressing class. In the same way the middle east resents America even though individually they may like some Americans.

I don't take it personal when some prejudice white guy let's his opinion about black people fly out of his mouth, I feel sorry that his limited experience has shaped his Zeitgeist.

The way I have experienced the world has been very different than a lot of poor black people. I acknowledge there is some racism out there but mostly I see classism as a bigger issue. Poor people have a harder time than anyone regardless of color.
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    GACAclub: "Racism is about institutions in power".

Exactly. It frustrates me when people say they don't understand why 'black power' to get justice is different from 'white power' as an excuse just to be racist. I was born 100 years too early because while I'm not shy about expressing my opinions, I'm sad that there's a need for me to stand up for injustice. I would prefer a country that already has worked this out. I even get angry at people that inspire me to try and talk sense into them...I'd rather they inspire me to find new ideas that are useful.
  • Mr_O
    9 years ago
    Uncle Tom...

Any black man OR woman that does tow the liberal line. IE:

1. Ben Carson — renowned pediatric neurosurgeon; likely 2016 presidential candidate
    2. Colin Powell — former secretary of state; U.S. Army general
    3. Condoleezza Rice — former secretary of state
    4. Clarence Thomas — Supreme Court justice
    5. Mia Love — U.S. congresswoman, Utah
    6. Tim Scott — U.S. senator, South Carolina
    7. Jason Riley — Wall Street Journal editorial writer; author, “Please Stop Helping Us”
    8. Michael Powell — former chairman, Federal Communications Commission; president, National Cable & Telecommunications Association
    9. Will Hurd — Texas congressman
    10. Herman Cain — businessman; 2012 presidential candidate
    11. Thomas Sowell — economist; author
    12. Allen West — former congressman, Florida; ex-Army officer
    13. Janice Rogers Brown — D.C. Circuit judge
    14. Shaquille O'Neal — retired NBA star; actor
    15. Michael Steele — former chairman, Republican National Committee
    16. Antonio Williams — director of government relations, Comcast
    17. Deroy Murdock — nationally syndicated columnist; businessman
    18. Lynn Swann — NFL Hall of Famer; 2006 Pennsylvania gubernatorial nominee

Urgent: Who Should the GOP Nominate in 2016? Vote Here Now

19. Elbert Guillory — Louisiana state senator; former Democrat
    20. Dwayne Johnson — athlete; actor
    21. James "Bo Snerdley" Golden — producer, "The Rush Limbaugh Show"
    22. James Earl Jones — Oscar-winning actor
    23. Artur Davis — Montgomery, Alabama, mayoral candidate; former Democrat
    24. Walter Williams — economist; guest host, "The Rush Limbaugh Show"
    25. Judge Lynn Toler — star of "Divorce Court"
    26. LL Cool J — rapper; actor
    27. Herschel Walker — retired NFL running back and Heisman Trophy winner
    28. Joseph C. Phillips — "The Cosby Show" co-star; Christian commentator
    29. Shelby Steele — author, "The Content of Our Character"; documentary filmmaker
    30. Joseph Louis Clark — former high school principal portrayed by Morgan Freeman in "Lean On Me"
    31. Prince — pop star
    32. Alveda C. King — pro-life activist; former Georgia legislator; ex-Democrat; niece of Martin Luther King Jr.
    33. Boyd Rutherford — Maryland lieutenant governor
    34. Nolan Carroll — Philadelphia Eagles cornerback
    35. Richard Ivory — founder, HipHopRepublican.com blog
    36. Larry Elder — talk radio host; columnist
    37. Jimmie "J.J." Walker — stand-up comedian; iconic comic actor on "Good Times" in 1970s
    38. Peter Kirsanow — member, U.S. Commission on Civil Rights
    39. Robert P. Young Jr. — chief justice, Michigan Supreme Court
    40. Don King — boxing promoter
    41. Star Parker — president, Coalition on Urban Renewal and Education (CURE); columnist; congressional candidate
    42. Alan Keyes — former presidential candidate
    43. Raphael "Raffi" Williams — deputy press secretary, RNC
    44. Ward Connerly — former University of California regent; affirmative action foe
    45. Crystal Wright — conservativeblackchick.com blogger
    46. Armstrong Williams — radio commentator; author; media entrepreneur
    47. Kevin A. Ross — host, "America’s Court with Judge Ross"; former Los Angeles Superior Court judge
    Latest News Update

00:1105:57
    Get Newsmax TV At Home »

48. Stephen N. Lackey — corporate philanthropist; GOP fundraiser
    49. Michael L. Williams — Texas commissioner of education
    50. B.J. Penn — assistant secretary of the Navy under George W. Bush
    51. Conrad James — scientist; member, University of New Mexico Board of Regents; former state legislator
    52. Robert J. Brown — CEO, B&C Associates
    53. Harold Doley — Doley Securities
    54. Logan Delany — Delany Capital; treasurer, Ben Carson Organization
    55. Alvin Williams — Black America’s Political Action Committee
    56. Robert A. George — New York Post editorial writer
    57. Amy Russell — clerk for U.S. District Judge James M. Moody Jr. in Arkansas
    58. Jane E. Powdrell-Culbert — New Mexico legislator
    59. Karl Malone — retired NBA great
    60. Niger Innis — national spokesman, Congress of Racial Equality (CORE); Nevada congressional candidate
    61. Neal E. Boyd — pop opera singer; "America’s Got Talent" winner; candidate, Missouri legislature
    62. Kay James — president, Gloucester Institute; former George W. Bush administration official
    63. Erika Harold — Miss America 2003; 2014 congressional candidate in Illinois
    64. Damon Dunn — former NFL wide receiver; real estate investor; Long Beach, California, mayoral candidate
    65. Thomas Stith — chief of staff for North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory, leading governor’s "Innovation to Jobs" initiative
    66. Robert Woodson — president, National Center for Neighborhood Enterprise
    67. Sheryl Underwood — comedian; CBS "The Talk" commentator
    68. David Tyree — retired NFL wide receiver; New York Giants director of player development; pro-family activist
    69. Bruce Harris — nominated by Gov. Christie and defeated by state Democrats to be New Jersey’s first openly homosexual supreme court justice; former mayor of Chatham, N.J.
    70. Orlando Watson — black media communications director, Republican National Committee
    71. Scott Turner — Texas state legislator; retired NFL defensive back
    72. Dale Wainwright — attorney, Bracewell & Giuliani; former associate justice, Texas Supreme Court
    73. Stacey Dash — actress; Fox News commentator
    74. Jackie Winters — Oregon state senator
    75. Patricia Funderburk Ware — HIV/AIDS expert who served in Clinton, Bush, and Obama administrations
    76. Chidike Okeem — Nigerian-born, London-raised blogger
    77. J.A. Parker — president, Lincoln Institute; publisher, The Lincoln Review
    78. Nadra Enzi — "The Hood Conservative," New Orleans-based anti-crime activist
    79. Mike Hill — Florida state legislator
    80. Sonja Schmidt — PJTV commentator
    81. Chelsi P. Henry — entrepreneur; political strategist
    82. Joseph Perkins — columnist, Orange County Register
    83. Carson Ross — mayor, Blue Springs Missouri
    84. William Barclay Allen — former chairman, U.S. Civil Rights Commission; candidate for U.S. Senate in California
    85. Clarence M. Mitchell IV — "C4," Baltimore talk radio personality
    86. Deneen Borelli — author, "Blacklash"; FreedomWorks outreach director
    87. John Meredith — lobbyist; son of civil rights pioneer James Meredith
    88. Bill Hardiman — Michigan state veterans services administrator; former mayor, Kentwood, Michigan; former state senator and congressional candidate
    89. Jill Upson — West Virginia legislator
    90. Ken Blackwell — former Cincinnati mayor, Ohio secretary of state, and GOP gubernatorial nominee
    91. Vernon Robinson — campaign director for Draft Ben Carson movement; former North Carolina congressional candidate
    92. Amy Holmes — news anchor, TheBlaze TV
    93. Dr. Elaina George — otolaryngologist; ObamaCare critic
    94. Tony Childress — sheriff, Livingston County, Illinois
    95. Larry Dean Thompson — George W. Bush deputy attorney general
    96. Kevin Jackson — host, "Black Sphere" radio show
    97. Michel Faulkner — retired New York Jets defensive lineman; New York City pastor; 2010 congressional nominee against Rep. Charles Rangel
    98. Ryan Frazier — investment consultant; Colorado congressional candidate; Mitt Romney adviser
    99. Brian C. Roseboro — international banker; George W. Bush Treasury Department official
    100. David Webb — talk radio host; political columnist

And I am sure many others not listed or as well known, like many black people I personally know.
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    I see SJG has an apostle.
  • GACA
    9 years ago
    ^^^ right...who's gonna read all that?
  • GACA
    9 years ago
    Oh...Lary Elder. Ya, he's such a TOM he actually embarrasses Fox News.
  • MrDeuce
    9 years ago
    I think it's absurd to call Clarence Thomas an Uncle Tom. The left hates black people who think for themselves and come to conservative conclusions, such as Clarence Thomas, Herman Cain, and Ben Carson. Blacks certainly don't have to be leftists to be true to their race.
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    Clarence Thomas should be admired and looked upon as a role model by the community. He did not come from a background of privledge. No one else in his family had gone to college, yet he graduated from Yale Law School. Instead of behind honored by the black community, he's villified. Just because he's black, it's assumed he should be a liberal. Isn't that the worst kind of racism?
  • jackslash
    9 years ago
    Clarence Thomas is not an embarrassment to the black race. He's an embarrassment to the human race.
  • GACA
    9 years ago
    Colin Powell is a conservative who is not considered an Uncle Tom, and actually he us very admired by the community.

It isn't a liberal or conservative agenda, it is about being a proponent of black equality.

Give me a break on Clarence Thomas he's an Uncle Tom and yes an embarrassment to the human race period. How he got past the Congressional hearing to have him pass into the supreme Court was nothing less than astonishing. He's a disgusting pig.
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    Dr_O, both of your lists are very interesting. And yes, Don King is quite a colorful guy.

SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    If only Colin Powell could finally tell us just what exactly he was doing at Mai Lai.

SJG
  • georgmicrodong
    9 years ago
    Would one of you Clarence Thomas haters care to expand upon exactly *why* he qualifies as and Uncle Tom. The improperly interpreted pejorative version, rather than the hero that was intended, that is.
  • GACA
    9 years ago
    Here's an article:
    Why Black America Calls SCOTUS Justice Clarence Thomas “Uncle Tom”-ish

http://urbanintellectuals.com/2014/05/15…
  • jester214
    9 years ago
    I'll never grasp this attitude.

One of my coworkers recently told me members of his own family referred to his children, who are probably younger than 12, as "house niggers". He obviously got mad about it and out came an "Uncle Tom" reference.

I'll never be convinced there's not a serious amount of jealousy at play in such terminology.
  • Mr_O
    9 years ago
    GACAclub,

^^^ I stopped reading when they mentioned his opposition of racial discrimination, IE: affirmative action.
  • GACA
    9 years ago
    Mr_O
    Bless your dixie flag waving heart...at least you tried.

Jester214
    Yes there is a lot of jealousy in the black community, especially among the poor. Dubois called it "Crabs in a bucket"

That said Clarence Thomas and Larry Elder are still guilty of being TOM'S. Period.

• mikeya02
    9 years ago
    I don't get this Uncle Tom stuff. What would you call Marion Berry?
  • GACA
    9 years ago
    ^^^@Mikeya umm...A Crack Head
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    I know, but the fact he smoked crack, some people would call him "stereotypical". Is that the opposite of being called "Uncle Tom?"
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    Marion Berry at his finest

"First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club."

"If you take out the killings, Washington actually has a very very low crime rate."

"The brave men who died in Vietnam, more than 100% of which were black, were the ultimate sacrifice."

• georgmicrodong
    9 years ago
    @GACAclub, I read that entire article, and its content can be summed up in one sentence: "He's not doing what *I* think he should be doing, so I'll call him names in hopes that he will."

There's a lot of supposition in there that he does what he does because he's afraid of white or something, but I don't see where the author has actually *read* much of what Thomas himself has written on the subject. Where he has, he's discounted it as lies to cover up his *real* motivation, which is...well, that's not really covered, except in more unsupported supposition.
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    I admire Thomas for getting ahead in life, but I also think he's a complete idiot. I do not admire his philosophies towards the social contract at all.
  • Mr_O
    9 years ago
    rockstar666,

And I would imagine that he looses sleep over your lack of admiration, ah, never.
  • jester214
    9 years ago
    I don't challenge Thomas on his ideology but I do question how much he really wants to be there and/or whether he really pays that much attention.

At one point he went some ridiculous stretch without a question or a word during sessions.
  • DoctorPhil
    9 years ago
    @jester214

it is wiser to keep one’s mouth shut and have everyone assume one is an idiot rather than to open one’s mouth (like supreme court justice kagan) and prove them correct
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    Mr_O: IHe doesn't know me personally...if he did he'd be better off for it and probably would change his entire world view.
  • TheeOSU
    9 years ago
    ^^
    Yes it sure worked on us.
  • Mr_O
    9 years ago
    rockstar666,

My, my, my, but aren't we all full of ourselves today?
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    Personally, I think Clarence Thomas is quite the opposite of an Uncle Tom. Instead of just toeing the line and doing what the liberal community *believes* a black person should be like, he actually thinks for himself.
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    ^^^ Actually Alito tells him what to think!
  • TheeOSU
    9 years ago
    @ Motorhead, he thinks for himself. That is exactly why the libs don't like him and constantly try to take him down, he doesn't toe the lib line.
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    True. Alito, Thomas and Scalia are all what's worst about the conservative point of view. I find them mean spirited in their rulings and frequently contradict themselves in order to justify their opinions.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion