Strat-O-Matic baseball

Now I have a marble chess set with nobody to play

32 comments

• chessmaster
    9 years ago
    What's my name?...
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    I never played the baseball game you mentioned.
    I have computer versions of everything else.

I also played quake and other games online with online opponents.
    some of the local guys I played quake with were friends in the national guard and for a while I was out in the woods wearing camaflouge playing paintball games. they had paintball rifles that shot several balls in a mere second or two and my friend and I only had single shot pump action guns. that didn't last too long and before I knew it, I think my friend had to go to afghanistan. he did return ok. it was fun. very painful to get shot up close though. ticks were another potential problem.
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    Some people I played risk with, Also backgammon, said they would never play me again because I was the luckiest person they ever saw in their life. they said the same thing about my brother and sister.

I played chess with one guy in my suite in college and thought he was terrible. he lost 8 games in a row. he did get close one game but it was usually me playing with him and ending up with multiple queens to stomp all over him. he really surprised after those 8 games. he told me he was the chess champion at his high school. I was thinking, must not have had much competition or full of idiots.
  • GoVikings
    9 years ago
    Monopoly
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    I did play a few games of chess with a club at ncsu. Those guys were really good. told me they played in competitions. I lost but they complimented me saying I came close to winning. I enjoy winning most of the time. didn't play too much more.

one roommate used to play pool with his friends. he called me up one weekend or night saying they were short one guy, asked if I played. I said it had been years since I last played. I called my shots and got real lucky. I didn't get called back. my roommate told me his friends thought he called in a pool shark and it didn't help me saying it had been years since I last played.
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    I have newer versions of monopoly on the iPad and one on the pc.
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    Parcheesi (it was fun and didn't require too much intellectual effort).

Also liked Bingo for the same reasons above.
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    I liked board games, but my older sister didn't like to play and neither did my mom and dad. We occasionly played Scrabble of Monopoly.

I only had one good friend and we played a lot of Battleship and Stratego.

Glad to see another Stratego fan. It was an underrated game.
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    I played both. it was fun. also one game called touché and life and a number of other board games.
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    Strato-o-Matic used to have advertisements in the back of The Sporting News. I was a huge baseball fan so I wrote away for literature. I never got it. It was pretty expensive if I remember correctly.
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    Stratego was fun, I was lucky to have a brother about the same age as me. I would buy a Board game. learn how to play it. then teach him and possibly others. I taught myself and about 4 other relatives how to play chess.

before computers became good at games, board and card games were a lot of fun. I played UNO a lot at one time. Risk probably became my favorite for a few years.
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    @ Motor....Good ole Sporting News. That's how my friend and I got the game. We played the entire 1966 NL season and kept statistics for every player. We filled notebooks with stats. It was pretty realistic.

Then there was the guy on the street who won every game of Monopoly cuz he cheated. He probably became a day trader or CEO
  • SuperDude
    9 years ago
    Monopoly, Fortune, Authors, Going to Jerusalem, Chess, Scrabble and Clue.
  • Dougster
    9 years ago
    Chess and Monopoly
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    I always liked Risk and Stratego too. I also played the Avalon Hill war games, like Panzer Leader, Panzer Blitz, Squad Leader, Tobruk, Third Reich, and Wooden Ships and Iron Men.

I played chess, and I still do.

SJG
    https://sites.google.com/site/sjgportal/…

The Great Depression
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N54mhu03…
  • Mistah_Fetti_Morbuxxx
    9 years ago
    For me...Scrabble. As a matter of fact I still play it to this day.

I never liked Monopoly too much...that game took way too long to finish.
  • just_the_nuts
    9 years ago
    Chess, monopoly, yahtzee, risk, bingo, uno, go fish, candy land, mouse trap,
  • just_the_nuts
    9 years ago
    Battle ship, marbles, hang man, tick tack toe, connect four, checkers, war, five card stud, solitary, craps, flipping coins
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    Nice board games nuts, don't forget jacks and pick up stix
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
    Monopoly. Mikeya...did you just get back from tj?

I bought a marble chess set fown there once
  • just_the_nuts
    9 years ago
    Mikea so true
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    @Crazy, no I bought mine on Ebay. the board is Greek marble, and the pieces are gold and sliver painted Greek warriors
  • DandyDan
    9 years ago
    I occasionally still play Scrabble with my mom. I could never relate to any of the card games my parents played. My one friend and I would play Monopoly all the time as kids, but he usually won. One of my old college roommates played Monopoly, but only by the official rules. I think he was in a Monopoly club.

One game no one mentioned yet is Trivial Pursuit. I did well at that, but the old entertainment questions killed me most of the time.
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    Yes, Battleship, I also liked that.

SJG
    https://sites.google.com/site/sjgportal/…

Duke Ellington, 1973
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WLeWLF6…
  • PhantomGeek
    9 years ago
    Scrabble, Monopoly, and Parcheesi were the mainstays of my family. My brother and I used to enjoy Risk quite a bit, too. (Got to play Nuclear Risk at Gen Con several years ago. That was a lot of fun, too.)

With all of the games I've tried out at different game conventions, it's really tough to pick a real favorite, but if Nuclear War's available to play, I'm there.
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    Nuclear Risk? Is there a computer version of that one?
  • PhantomGeek
    9 years ago
    Shark, not that I know of. It's basically a home-rules version of Risk.
  • londonguy
    9 years ago
    Chess (was a local champion), Monopoly, Darts, Backgammon, card games - especially one called 'hunt the cunt'

Surprised none of you mentioned Backgammon or darts, don't you play it over there?
  • jester214
    9 years ago
    Family played a lot of Monopoly and Checkers when we were little. A stretch where we played a good bit of Chess and then mostly Scrabble when we got older.

Played a good bit of Risk with friends in middle school. Later it was Poker and a drinking card game.

@london, darts isn't big over here. I've played a little backgammon but not very good at it.
  • PhantomGeek
    9 years ago
    I forgot about backgammon and cribbage. Sure, I lost most of the time, but I still had fun.
  • sclvr5005
    9 years ago
    Battleship was good, and Risk.
  • lopaw
    9 years ago
    Risk
    Life
    Trouble
    Mousetrap

Hmmmm.....looks like a prediction of what my adult life would eventually become.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion