tuscl

Tips

Slickwillie
California
Thursday, July 15, 2004 12:14 AM
How do you feel about tips? I am mostly referring to those dancers with their hands out after a stage performance. But views on tips after lap dances are welcome. I am used to the stage shows being "free advertising" for lap dances. Going around essentially begging for and expecting tips is unprofessional. And anyone making $100, $200, $300 an hour gets paid enough already, even if you consider tips as a bonus for good service. It's not exactly a minimum wage job...

10 comments

• lustabunch
    20 years ago
    some of the clubs in FL have a policy where the dancer has to make X number of dollars on stage before she can remover her clothes. I have seen that range from $3 all the way to $10. In those, clubs after the first song, she will stop dancing and start putting her clothes on again until people meet the club minimum. I personally give at least $1 to every dancer on stage while I am there unless she A) Does a bad job and deserves none or B) does a great job and deserves more.
  • ShotDisc
    20 years ago
    i rarely sit at the stage because of the necessary tipping. I have been in clubs that have a tip walk and I try to avoid them. tipping after a lapper is rare, but i have done it for incredible dances.
  • hub
    20 years ago
    If I dont feel like going up to the stage to tip, Ill just say no thanks or maybe next time. I will never tip If I did not actually watch the whole thing on stage.
  • Dain
    20 years ago
    Right--they are "overpriced" because customers overpay them. The few guys who offer more for the standard service may get what they want at that time but gradually raise the expectations of the dancers and thus make the price higher for everyone else. Guys, never pay more than the absolute minimum; otherwise, you contribute to rising prices for everyone else.
  • FONDL
    20 years ago
    I totally agree Superdude. Worst of all is when a stripper asks for a tip before the dance even starts, with the line "the bigger the tip the better the dance." Whenever that happens I leave. I expect their best dance for the price of the dance. The only way I tip extra is if they spend a lot of time talking to me before or after. In too many places the dances are already overpriced.
  • SuperDude
    20 years ago
    I will not return to a dancer who asks for tips during a lap dance. It happens often in Detroit.
  • FunSeeker
    20 years ago
    In Wichita clubs, this Tip-Walk is a customery practice. After they danced on the stage, the dancers go around and ask for tips from each of the patrons. Many patrons do tip the dancers while they dance on the stage.
  • FONDL
    20 years ago
    Lots of clubs I've been to have the stage inside the bar (eg. Club Risque in Bristol, PA) so there's no opportunity to tip the dancer while she's on stage. They instead circulate for tips after their dance. I actually like this format, as long as they don't get too pushy or greedy, because it give me a chance to chat briefly with each girl and ask one to join me. It's much better than places where the girl will just sit down next to you without being asked. I especially like the format at McDoogals in Maryland where the girls crawl around on top of the bar nude collecting tips after their stage dance. It's highly entertaining.
  • verfolgung
    20 years ago
    Slickwille: Here in the northeast I haven't seen a club use the "tip walk" approach. My impression of clubs where there is a tip walk is that the dancer generally does her show on stage for the entire room with little personal attention, she finnishes her set and then comes out to collect tips from the crowd. This is different from what I'm used to. For example.... In MA: Customers either sit stage side at the tip rail or back from the stage. If your at the tip rail your pretty much expected to tip at least $1 per song. The dancer will usually come out for her set and dance in front of each customer for a few moments as she makes her way around the stage collecting tips. Stage dancing in MA is NOT free advertising. Since the state rules are no contact, private dances tend to be a tough sell and many times the majority of a dancer's income will come from stage tipping. It's not uncommon for someone to simply park themselves at the tip rail and just do stage tips all night. There's a general rule that dancers won't hustle the guys sitting at the tip rail. If you sit back from the rail, you may think your getting a free show, but then you become fair game for the dancers to sell private dances to. If your sitting back and not getting any dances you run the risk of being negatively labeled. In RI: The tip rail is worked a little differently. Since RI is a contact state, the stage does become more of an advertisement for private dances. It's not too common, unless it's a busy Fri or Sat night, for someone to just sit at the tip rail, since you'll end up with a bunch of ladies climbing into your lap. This may sound cool, but in RI they may put 5 to 7 dancers on a stage. It's not too long before you realize you don't want to have to tip and be smothered by every dancer. Usually guys just approach the stage when a dancer they have an interest in is performing. They'll give her a tip, and if she does really well, hopefully she'll get a private dance as well. General Comments: My personal feeling is no matter where you are, if your watching the dancer and enjoying the show, a $1 tip should not be a big deal. I don't feel you have to tip every dancer who goes up on stage, but if you enjoyed her performance pony up the $1. Otherwise talk with your buddies or watch the ballgame on the TV. Lastly your comment on $100-$300 per hour doesn't seem accuarate. Some dancers may make this, but I don't believe the majority do. Even if a dancer can make $300 in a given hour, it doesn't mean she's going to consistently make that every hour. Most of the dancers I know go home with between $200 to $600 per shift on average after tip outs.
  • SirCharls
    20 years ago
    In Milwaukee, you have the famous "Tip Walk" where, whether you like it or not, whether you were paying attention or not, when the girl who was on-stage goes by, you gotta slip her a buck or the girls mark you as an ass... I have been in strip clubs all over the United States, and this is the first place I have been where that seems to be standard... I am from the school of thought, "if you do well, then you get a tip" but apparently, that isn't the case here in Milwaukee, WI...
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion