tuscl

OT: Soccer: Red vs Blue

motorhead
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Heard an interesting conversation on ESPN regarding the growing popularity of soccer.

When you look at the ranking of the popularity of soccer it clearly breaks down along "red states" and "blue states".

The liberal blue states like soccer the most. Washington, California, DC, Massachusetts, New York, Colorado, New Jersey, Maryland

The conservative red states like soccer the least. Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, North Dakota

I can't even begin to guess why. ESPN did not go further into discussion.

21 comments

• Clackport
    9 years ago
    When I saw the Red vs Blue in your title, I thought you were gonna talk about Bloods vs Crips lol.
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    Lol
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    The number of girl soccer leagues here in Diego are staggering. And after the games they mob a yogurt place.
  • londonguy
    9 years ago
    This is interesting reading for you guys

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footbal…

Seems like 'The Beautiful Game' is really gaining popularity over there.
  • crsm27
    9 years ago
    I don't think it is a blue vs red state issue. But one thing noted in the "red" states. Look how American Football is treated in those states.... Alabama, Lousiana,... then look at the demographics in WY and ND. Football is king in the first two states I mentioned. Look at the college programs from the CC to the D-I's. It is a football rich tradition in those states. Then with WY and ND... population has a roll in these states. Schools don't have to have all the programs in place or some don't even offer soccer. This because of student enrollment.

Now one of the main reasons why soccer is exploding is this.... all you need is a ball and open space. Anyone can participate. It is a parents and schools/town rec programs dreams. You put lots of people on a field, cost is cheap, and many can participate and can have success. Then throw in the fear of concussions (which if you look up the stats.... soccer is there with football....but that is a different discussion). So people are pushing kids towards it at a young age. Because why spend $$$ on something that they might not like when they hit high school age. Look at the cost associated with Hockey, football, baseball!!! it is ridiculous what it costs for kids to play.

Anyways those are just a few of the reasons why soccer has exploded in the usa.
  • Clubber
    9 years ago
    motor,

Easy "why". Often no "winners". Wimpy guys and non wimpy ladies. No need to really pay attention. The list is endless, if some wish to add to it.
  • jackslash
    9 years ago
    Soccer is too boring for red states or blue states.

• pensionking
    9 years ago
    All my kids are high level soccer players. It is a relatively cheap, easy game to learn at a very young age (but a game requiring years of effort to master).
    It is increasingly popular among boys because you do not have to be a physical freak (6 foot 6 or 275 lbs. or 20/10 vision) to compete, even at high levels.
    It is increasingly popular among girls because you do not have to be a physical freak AND they don't have to sacrifice their social standing. In fact, boys will tell you that girl soccer players are "hot"
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    Our women are going to nuke.....errrr..... beat Japan in the finals
  • Clubber
    9 years ago
    mikeya,

I was shocked to read that the Japanese are the defending champs. Not very many hot ladies on the team. :(
  • shailynn
    9 years ago
    Pensionking is correct.

I played soccer, track and basketball when I was in jr high. In highschool I did soccer and basketball although I was a benchwarmer in basketball.

The soccer guys for the most part were pretty damn nerdy and unatheletic until I got to high school and those guys were weeded out.

I can certainly see the liberal tones associated with soccer, say compared to football.

I do not like to watch soccer even though I used to play it. Now a sport for unathletic white boys is lacrosse.
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    Clubber, you can't have hot asians everywhere, or can you?
  • Clubber
    9 years ago
  • DandyDan
    9 years ago
    I'm not so sure its as much a red vs. blue thing as much as it is a sport for urban and suburban people. People just don't play soccer in small towns, unless its somewhere like Schuyler, NE or Lexington, NE, where half the people there are Mexican immigrants.
  • warhawks
    9 years ago

The red states mentioned are mostly SEC football.
    College football to them is like a religion.
    I don't see soccer taking over in those states for a very, very long time.
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    Soccer would be more popular in the south if the players carried guns.
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    @ pensionking: My daughter also played travel soccer on the A team, and there is one thing is wasn't is "cheap"! It's nothing like travel hockey which is more expensive than owning a boat, but between equipment, travel expenses, coaching expenses....it added up.
  • ime
    9 years ago
    @londonguy it makes sense it would take off in a place like Seattle, they just jump on what is popular at the time. I have a couple friends out there in 2007 and they walked up to the seahawks playoff game and were able to get tickets. Now not long after they claim to be best fans with there 12 man lame ass shit trying to make it about them. Yet they didnt care about there own team less than 7 years ago
  • pensionking
    9 years ago
    @rockstar: I completely agree -- travel soccer is crazy with $300 uniform kits and $1500 annual dues plus travel, hotels, etc., etc. All in, we spent about $3000 per kid each year. In retrospect, what a waste. Now I apply those funds to my hobby!! LOL

Just starting out, though, say at age 6, NBD! Ball --$10. Cleats -- $29. Shinguards -- $10. No skill? Got two legs? Away we go!

I have to say, there is definite tension between the local HS Football guys and the HS Soccer Guys (stay off MY fucking field!) YOUR field??? That's probably why soccer might not be as popular in the south, yet. Nothing comparable on the girls side, though. In my area, between recreational and travel soccer, there are over 5000 boys and girls in leagues across ages 6 through 19. WAAAAAYYYY outnumbers baseball, softball and football combined!!
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    I didn't consider soccer a waste though. I LOVED going to her games, and they did win 2 championships which was super exciting. Our league was a little cheaper than yours too...maybe $1000 a year. I actually miss watching her team; they were very good!
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    I think it was Colin Cowherd on ESPN radio that drawing the comparison to red and blue states. He's right. If you Google a map of popular soccer states it does very much mirror the political map.

I don't watch it myself, but I do understand why its gaining popularity as some have said.

I agree about SEC football having a stronghold in the south.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion