Way off topic but ya gotta see it.

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
http://video.foxnews.com/v/4014801275001…

5 comments

• mikeya02
    10 years ago
    I didn't know planes had parachutes. Awesome idea. Not every one is a Capt, Sullenberger
  • Papi_Chulo
    10 years ago
    I’ve often wondered why they could not kinda do this w/ most planes.

In the military; don’t they drop heavy machinery like tanks from transport planes?

I imagine it’s a bit tricky but one would think the technology would be there to achieve this w/ all planes.
  • crazyjoe
    10 years ago
    I knew a guy that I believe had that same model of plane and he told me it had a parachute. That is awesome he got out with his life
  • Cheo_D
    10 years ago
    Not structurally practical with all sorts of airframes, Papi. You sort of have to design it around the emergency chute, remember you have to carry it internally until needed. At a certain size point you'd need multiple chutes with heavy rigid hanging points which would add a weight penalty and risk the fuselage would split if they did not open simultaneously, or upon hitting the surface

With military matériel, you have something heavy but pretty darn sturdy and compact, and *unmanned* when dropped, you only need slow it down enough for it to not break -- a 155mm howitzer is mostly solid steel and built to take violent shock for hours a day -- and the chute is not carried and attached within the object/vehicle, it's external and attached to a pallet on which the object sits or to a harness that wraps around it.
  • crazyjoe
    10 years ago
    Goof info Cheo-D. That makes sense.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion