tuscl

If stripping became acceptable ...

If stripping became socially acceptable (not that we have to worry about that happening anytime soon), what impact would it have on clubs and dancers? Personally I think that dancers' incomes would decline. I think it's the fact that most girls wouldn't strip that keeps dancer income high. If it became acceptable, a lot more girls would be willing to do it and standards would go up, income down. Which is kind of funny when you hear all the dancers complaining about society not approving of them. Be careful what you ask for ...

But then again there'd probably be a lot more clubs and a lot more nice ones too ...

11 comments

• Yoda
    20 years ago
    FONDL: When you put it that way I completely agree. Many dancers assume they will earn top dollar in a GC when, in fact, a smaller, local club may be a better option for them. A lot of wealthy guys go to GC's but a lot of them are cheap! Also, women have told me that the high rollers are often not worth the aggravation. They "expect" you to go OTC with them because they have money.
  • DandyDan
    20 years ago
    If stripping became acceptable, I would think the customer would find something else that was taboo and do that than go to a strip club. It's my belief that people do illegal drugs precisely because they are illegal, and by analogy people go to stripclubs because of their unacceptability. I like to think I go precisely because my father says they are bad. I think stripping would probably go into decline, although the quality of the clubs that remained would be high.
  • FONDL
    20 years ago
    Maybe "social acceptance" is the wrong term for it. But I think a lot of the younger more intelligent dancers have a bias in favor of the fancier clubs and turn up their noses at the local dives. They probably think that they can make more money in the classier place but frankly I think in some cases they are wrong. A lot of fancy places are overstaffed and take such a huge cut that the girls often don't do that well. An average looking girl might do better in a dive where she'd stand out. But she'll never consider trying it.

I also think that a lot of these girls expect classier customers in the GC's who will be nicer to them. They may have more money but I'm not so sure about the nicer part. In my experience the dives tend to draw mostly locals who are regulars and get to know the girls well and as a result are more polite to the girls than the typical GC customer often is. I hear more complaints about customer behavior in the GC's than I do in the local dives. Maybe white collar guys are more likely to look down on dancers than do blue collar guys.
  • Yoda
    20 years ago
    Sorry FONDL but naked is naked. The people who have a problem with SC's don't care if they are upscale or not. I think some girls can earn in a high pressure upscale environment and some are better of in a lower end establishment. From any conversation I've ever had with a dancer where they choose to work is driven by money. Secondary issues are contact levels and safety. Social acceptance never makes the list. Nor should it.
  • FONDL
    20 years ago
    Yoda, I almost agree with you but with one exception, I think it affects where some girls dance. They all seem to prefer the nice fancy upscale clubs to the nieighborhood bar type places. The main reason may be money but I think social acceptance has a little to do with it.
  • Yoda
    20 years ago
    I don't think social acceptance has much influence on weather a woman decides to become a dancer or not. They do it for the money and, it's pretty much a personal decision that they need the money badly enough to do it.
    Now, social acceptance may make a difference on who GOES to stripclubs but that's a different story.
  • phoenixxxblaque
    20 years ago
    being a car theif means you are stealing and thus breaking the law to earn your scratch..dancing isnt against the law
  • davids
    20 years ago
    Oh, just to clarify: besides the reasons stated in my previous post, one of the reasons I think demand would increase at first is that if it was more socially acceptable to strip then it would be more socially acceptable to "see" a stripper.
  • davids
    20 years ago
    "who can argue over a person having a job that rakes in hundreds or perhaps thousands a week"

So if car theives make thousands a week we can not argue with it?
  • davids
    20 years ago
    Good points, FONDL.

However: I think there is already a surplus of supply; and demand would increase too: at least at first.

Thus I think prices would actually go up at first. However, as consumers got better educated about the culture I think they would realize that stripping is not a good value for your sexual dollar and would turn to alternative services instead. Sure there would still be a market for it but just not that much.

One good thing that would happen if stripping became more socially acceptable is that there would be a smaller % of sociopathic types, and the non sociopaths would feel better about themselves and hence have less need to project their self-loathing onto their customers. Thus the overall experience would be better for customers which, again, suggests higher demand at first.

HOWEVER any business that does not adequate real value to customers will ultimate not last at inflated prices.

I think strip clubs are kind of like fad diets: once consumers clue in there goes the quick buck that the con artists try to make.

• phoenixxxblaque
    20 years ago
    well,i think that dancing is not really becoming more acceptable,but the dark cloak that once once over it about what went on and why is getting smaller and smaller..and who can argue over a person having a job that rakes in hundreds or perhaps thousands a week?used the right way,stripping can pave the way to better things in life..a nice home,car,education,savings....used thw wrong way,you just waste your life and your chances for good things doing it....later
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion