tuscl

OT: CNBC - Traders say this could be the big short for 2015

Thursday, December 25, 2014 5:53 AM
"While stock traders have been piling into the Santa rally, bond investors this holiday season have been busily building what some say could be the biggest short position ever in Treasury futures. That's a massive bet that interest rates will rise. George Goncalves, head of rate strategy at Nomura, calculated some $29 billion worth of shorts across the Treasury futures complex—the highest level, post-financial crisis." [view link]

7 comments

• sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    Is this going to be like investing in gold two years ago?
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    The financial media is not exactly renowed for broadcasting moves in the correct direction before they happen.
  • ilbbaicnl
    10 years ago
    Obama has made one thing clear: he's no lame duck, he's a why-should-I-give-a-fuck duck. He's taking care of his core constituency, law suits and Fox News bitching be damned. His core constituency wants low interest rates and labor shortages, even if that causes moderate inflation (say 5%). The Fed is supposed to be somewhat independent, but since Obama clearly has the gloves off, I wouldn't count on it that he can't bend the Fed to his will.
  • sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    I haven't seen Fox News since Dish had a disagreement with them trying to raise rates. I like watching the hot girls on fox news but I don't want to pay higher rates myself. Fox news was dropped for over 10 million viewers.
  • sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    I heard a quote from Obama in 2009 after he apparently already met with Ben Bernanke. "It looks like a good time to buy stocks.". It was the ultimate stock tip that many missed.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    @sharkhunter: yes, it was kind of funny. I don't think he knew much about the stock market before that because he said "price and earnings ratios are starting to look good" (as opposed to price to earnings ratios). I credit him because, like Bush, he was able to set aside his preconceived notions about the markets and economics and do what was right for the country.
  • Dougster
    9 years ago
    Ouch!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion