tuscl

Knights Inn Closed; City Alleges Drug Sales And Prostitution

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Columbus' Knights Inn on East Dublin Granville Road was shut down Friday by the city for drug and prostitution sales, and more than 700 calls for help to the police over the last two years.

Two front desk employees and the manager at the inn talked to NBC4 Friday.

“This is a great place to work! These owners did everything in their power to kick the drug dealers and prostitutes out,” said Tom Koeppel. “There was talk we weren't checking people's IDs. I Xeroxed every ID on the back of the registration cards."

"We can be able to tell the person who checks in is going to do drug dealing or what they are going to do, it is hard to figure out when someone checks in," said Manager Vishnu Patel.

Columbus undercover police officers made eight heroin and marijuana buys from December 2013 to last month. In addition, the Assistant City Prosecutor Bill Sperlazza said eight other undercover officers made prostitution stings on the inn's property over the last two years.

Early Thursday morning, a female undercover detective was allegedly solicited for sex by an inn employee in exchange for reduced room price. That employee, Ashok Nowlay, was charged with a first-degree misdemeanor charge of soliciting prostitution.

“What the night auditor did was wrong to blame the ownership that doesn't happen anywhere,” said Koeppel.

NBC4 asked the Nowlay about the accusation of soliciting sex.

“The lady came and asked for a room for $34. I said, 'We don't have a room for $34.' She said, 'Can I bring somebody and they pay for the room?' and I said, 'I don't mind.' When she came back, I asked for her ID. She said, 'I don't have an ID.' I said, 'Sorry, we can't give you the room.'"

NBC4: “They are alleging you asked her for sex?”

Nowlay: “No sir.”

The remaining guests at the inn were removed by 11 a.m. Friday. Koeppel said he is a Vietnam veteran who has lived at the motel for years.

"I'm going into a homeless shelter," he said. "I have worked here for eight years. I have no place to go and no money to go there."

One woman said she was drawn to this latest closing because of here concern over the homeless.

"I am not sure anyone realizes there is an entire community of homeless people living in motels."

Folks from the city and maryhaven were both on site trying to find shelter for those now without one,” said Debbie Upcroft.

Fewer than a dozen guests were at the inn by 9 a.m. Friday. The city provided a COTA bus for any guest who needed a warm place to stay. City services and Maryhaven offered to help resettle any guests without a place to stay.

The general manager of the inn Vishnu Patel and owner MMM Hospitality, Ltd. will have to appear in a Franklin County Environmental Court on November 26, where Judge Dan Hawkins will decide if the inn remains closed and if so, for how long.

Sperlazza said the city is putting law-breaking hotel owners on notice.

"I hope that all the hotel owners understand that half-hearted efforts at keeping the criminal element out of your hotel, those days are over. If they continue to allowed criminals in their hotels, we will pursue them within the means of the law and shut them down," he said.

6 comments

• JohnSmith69
    10 years ago
    I wonder how many strippers lost their home? Sure hope this isn't the place where rickdugan's girl lives.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    ss1,

Interesting! There used to be one at the intersection of I-75 and 725. Might have become or was a Red Rook, I think. Anyway, back in the 70-80's time frame, that was going on there. Almost across the street from Cheeks. Go figure. I never did partake.
  • impala
    10 years ago
    I have always been amazed when people are surprised when they find out there is prostitution happening at a cheep motel in a "less than desirable" part of town, especially when there is no viable reason for a motel in that location. Ad in the close proximity to strip clubs (or any clubs for that matter) and it just makes sense. The real question is how many of those under cover cops got a BJ investigating prior to setting up the sting?
  • carlos_spiceyweiner
    10 years ago
    Thanks for posting. What a mess. You have to feel for the people who have lost their jobs or who have no where else to go. But 700 calls in two years is a clear sign that something has to be done.
  • Papi_Chulo
    10 years ago
    I’ve stayed @ a Knights Inn in Arlington, TX and although I didn’t have any issues many of the fellow tenants did look pretty shady – this Knights Inn was actually a couple of hundred feet from 2 SCs.
  • HonestT
    10 years ago
    I'm surprised that people are ever surprised that prostituion happens at ANY hotel. Where else is it supposed to occur? Additionally these hotels know it's happening, they need the business. There are not enough holidays and conventions on a weekly basis for them to be open 365.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion