tuscl

OT: Guardians of the Galaxy Soundtrack and the return of 70's era classic rock

I like to track album sales performance on iTunes charts. And I've noticed that since the movie and soundtrack of GOTG was released, two and half months ago, albums by 70's era rock acts have performed very well on iTunes charts. Now some of this may be due to streaming services skewing toward younger audiences. But classic rock, which I include anything from Fleetwood Mac to Led Zeppelin, has really begun to shine on the charts. There's even an album titled "21 Classic Rock Favorites" that performs well on the charts.

Maybe this is similar to the affect "Saturday Night Fever" had on disco nearly 40 years ago- but to a much lesser degree.

5 comments

• SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    Great movie, great soundtrack. GOTG was obscure as far as Marvel goes. I remember reading an issue in my dentists office, years ago.
  • nickifree
    10 years ago
    Man that movie made me feel like a teenage kid again! You must be one of the handful of people who had any prior knowledge of the comics.
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    If Marvel really wants to get cosmic, they have to put Galactus and Thanos in a movie. Rise of the Surfer sucked, compared to what it should have been.
  • PhantomGeek
    10 years ago
    I really couldn't get into Guardians. A big part of that might've been the bar that Whedon set with The Avengers and all of the over-hype that led up to Guardians. I thought the best acting of all of them came from Rocket and Groot. I remember the comics from the '70s, too; I halfway expected Vance Astro to be the leader of the group again.

Mikeya02, Thanos has been in one or two of the movies. He was in one of those quick scenes during the closing credits of The Avengers, and I want to say he was in another one during the closing credits of Guardians (I just don't remember that well).
  • steve229
    10 years ago
    @Nick - better get some fresh batteries for your Walkman

The biggest mix tape of the year will soon be available to buy on cassette tape.

The Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Mix Vol. 1 soundtrack will be issued on cassette Nov. 17, just in time for Black Friday (Nov. 28).

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6…
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion