tuscl

OT: New "Floriduh" million-dollar home has nice view, but built on wrong lot

It's not just the strippers, lol

ORLANDO Fla. (Reuters) - A Florida builder is trying to figure out what to do after constructing a million-dollar, ocean-view home in Florida on the wrong lot, authorities said.

The mistake occurred after two state-certified surveyors on the job separately marked the wrong property, said Carl Laundrie, spokesman for Flagler County on the Atlantic Coast north of Daytona Beach.

http://news.yahoo.com/florida-million-do…

6 comments

• JohnSmith69
    10 years ago
    Whoever owns that lot just got one hell of a Christmas present. I wish shit like that would happen to me.
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    10 years ago
    At least that's a better situation than the wrong house being demolished. I've heard of a couple of those stories over the years. I see a solution to this: How about if the two property owners arrange to trade properties, just based on the value of the land? Maybe one lot is larger than the other, but since they're so close by, I would think a trade could be made.
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    "How about if the two property owners arrange to trade properties"

Club_Goer,

My thoughts exactly. But you know it's not going happen. That would be too logical. A long court battle will follow.
  • farmerart
    10 years ago
    It happens in the Alberta oil patch, too. Many years ago I went on a tour of some recently purchased oil leases. I was astonished to come across a competitor's rig being set up on a piece of land that I controlled. The hole hadn't been started but much of the prep had been made - top soil stripped to the side, gravel laid down, pipe stacked, equipment in place soon ready to go.

I was as angry as a hive of disturbed hornets but I couldn't convince the drilling crew that they were on the wrong property. This was before cell phone coverage in the Alberta boonies so I had to hightail it to the closest town to get to a telephone to call the head office of the intruding company. It took many forceful words on my part to get the intruding company to send out its surveyor to see what was happening.

The matter was finally resolved (with even a few extra dollars in my pocket). It cost the intruding company about $100K to make matters right and I learned the name of one of the most incompetent surveyors in my industry. I did finally drill 2 good wells on that piece of land but not at the particular site where the intruding company was setting up.
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    10 years ago
    @ Motor: I concur. The most difficult path to follow will be the one that will be taken.
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    10 years ago
    I just happened upon a video of the same subject. It clearly shows the two lots. It appears that the two lots are side-by-side. The correct lot appears to be slightly smaller, but I can't see that there's an appreciable difference in the location, otherwise:

http://xfinity.comcast.net/video/700-000…
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion