tuscl

Boston used to be good?

Thursday, June 12, 2014 7:28 AM
I was talking to some people at a strip club in Boston and they were telling me that before Boston used to have great strip clubs but that the city decided to gentrify the city and since then it's been boring. Do you guys have any stories about Boston strip clubs before the city decided that they should all be boring no touch establishments?

2 comments

• bellman
    10 years ago
    I was a college student in the Boston area many years ago, before downtown Boston got cleaned up. The center of what was called the Combat Zone was Scollay Square, which was where the Government Center is now. There were two theaters where old-fashioned burlesque shows played: baggy-pants comics interspersed with strippers doing dances, and there was usually a feature dancer like, for example,Tempest Storm. They went topless, but didn't flash the pussy, and there was no such thing as lap dances, or other contact with the dancers. There were a lot of bars which I'm sure were hunting grounds for whores; I can't say for sure as I was below the drinking age so couldn't enter. When that area became the Government Center and City Hall, the Combat Zone moved to the edge of Chinatown, where the remnants of that are still located. In my experience Boston has never been a good place for strip clubs, and yes,those that remain are boring and expensive. Anyone looking for some real SC entertainment should make the hour's drive down to Providence.
  • rickdugan
    10 years ago
    It was really just a collection of over-priced clubs, with no real action ITC, adult peep shows and adult book stores. Part of what made the Combat Zone so notorious were the many hookers who hung out around those places, ready to spring into action. But all of that is gone now. There is one small, almost hidden, alley where the two remaining clubs are located. Most of the adult entertainment businesses were gone by the mid-90s. It took another 5 years to chase most of the hookers out as well, but most of them are gone now too.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion